Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World’s largest insect discovered in New Zealand

Default World’s largest insect discovered in New Zealand

World’s largest insect discovered in New Zealand

By Eric Pfeiffer | The Sideshow – Fri, Dec 2, 2011 The world's largest insect (Mark Moffett)

This is not good news for entomophobia sufferers. A former park ranger traveling in New Zealand has stumbled across the world's largest insect, a Weta Bug, with a wing span of seven inches and the weight of three mice. "Three of us walked the trails of this small island for two nights scanning the vegetation for a giant weta," said Mark Moffett, 55. "We spent many hours with no luck finding any at all, before we saw her up in a tree. The giant Weta is the largest insect in the world, and this is the biggest one ever found."
    Most people would have recoiled at such a find--but Moffettt held the giant insect in the palm of his hand and even fed it a carrot.
    "She enjoyed the carrot so much she seemed to ignore the fact she was resting on our hands and carried on munching away," Moffett said. "She would have finished the carrot very quickly, but this is an extremely endangered species and we didn't want to risk indigestion. After she had chewed a little I took this picture and we put her right back where we found her."You can watch a video of a smaller, but still huge, Weta Bug in action here. And yes, the man in the video actually eats one of the bugs (and no, bug preservationists need not be alarmed--the smaller Weta is not endangered):
    The Weta Bug goes back 180 million years, predating the dinosaurs, but was thought to be extinct after European explorers had unwittingly brought rats with them to New Zealand's Little Barrier island.

World
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I, for one, welcome our winged, carrot-eating overlords.

Looks kind of gross and sci-fi, but also kind of endearing and almost cute when you read the article.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

They're from the cricket family of insects.

I think they're adorable.

Elite Member

It's cute'ish eating the carrot, I'll give it that. Now, if it were to do a fly by and land in my hair, I would beat myself senseless trying to get it out. I would also run, shrieking like a maniac through the forest.

how has a bug that big been missed all this time?

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    It's cute'ish eating the carrot, I'll give it that. Now, if it were to do a fly by and land in my hair, I would beat myself senseless trying to get it out. I would also run, shrieking like a maniac through the forest.
    +1
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Jezi View Post
    They're from the cricket family of insects.

I think they're adorable.
    How ironic that just today a spider cricket, which is in the same family, jumped on my neck. I was in my parent's basement and felt a tickle. I grabbed it with my hand, threw it on the ground and ran screaming like a banshee upstairs. I really need to get some stuff down there but I'm worried he's waiting for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

This. Totally. You would hear me screaming from 3 miles away
    "I'm not allowed within 200 feet of a school. Or a Chuck-E-Cheese..." Alan - The Hangover

Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    how has a bug that big been missed all this time?
    Oh they've known about the species for a while. But this is the biggest specimen they've ever seen.

I want one.

This! Middle Earth would hear me screaming like a sissy boy.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

*high fives glad I'm not the only shrieker around here, I once stopped a car on the side of the road to try and let a grasshopper out because I knew it was going to attack me if I turned my back on it. Unfortunately my bro-in-law was behind me and when he figured out what I was doing he fell down on the side of the road laughing at me(cause he's an evil bastard like that)
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Ugh, had to bump this so I didn't look at the "sick bastard feeds..." title everytime I scrolled down
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Thanks - can we just ditch that thread PLEASE???
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lalique View Post
    Ugh, had to bump this so I didn't look at the "sick bastard feeds..." title everytime I scrolled down
    Thank You!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Thanks - can we just ditch that thread PLEASE???
    VOUCH! Everytime I forget about it, it gets put back on top.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

In all honesty, that thing does not look much bigger than the grasshoppers/locusts they have in Orlando. I have pictures around here, somewhere. When I saw them at Shades of Green, I was pretty freaked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information