Thread: NYC hotel forced to banish beloved cat from lobby‎

Default NYC hotel forced to banish beloved cat from lobby‎

A hotel's famous cat has been reined in after Department of Health officials outlawed its strolls around the building.
    The Algonquin Hotel in Times Square has been a New York institution for more than a century, famous for its literary clientele including William Faulkner, Maya Angelou, Dorothy Parker and Orson Welles.
    It is also renowned for its ever-present lobby cat and the 10th feline, Matilda III is so popular she has her own Twitter account and email address.

Pampered: The Algonquin's beloved cat is no longer allowed to roam freely after strict guidelines by New York's Department of Health

However the hotel has now tethered the so-called 'Algon Queen' as a precaution after rules by the city's Department of Health & Mental Hygiene put hotels and restaurants at risk of steep fines for minor violations.
    A close eye in now being kept on Matilda III behind The Algonquin’s check-in desk, when usually she could be found hiding out behind chairs in the lounge or plant pots in the lobby.

The cat has been a favourite of guests and tourists ever since the original stray wandered into the hotel in 1932.

Institution: Matilda III, is the most famous resident of New York's The Algonquin Hotel

The Algonquin was home to the 'Round Table' literary salon - causing the original cat's name to be swapped from Rusty to a more suitable Hamlet.
    All the cats, bar one, have come from rescue shelters and Matilda III took up residence last winter.
    However unlike her predecessors, she will no longer be able to have the run of the place.

Alice de Almeida, the hotel's 'chief cat master', told MailOnline: 'She was going everywhere - including the men's restroom - so now she is on a strict training schedule.
    'She has a little bed with her food and water where people come in to see her, not just those who are staying at the hotel but those who pass by on the street.
    'Matilda gets plenty of emails too.'
    Each year, the Algonquin's cat is honoured with a birthday party at the hotel, attended by dozens of her friends.
    A Department of Health spokesman said: 'According to the New York City Health Code, live animals are not allowed in food service establishments (except for edible fish, shellfish, or crustacean) unless a patron needs a service dog.'
    The Algonquin was established in 1902 and in 1987 designated a New York City landmark.
    The hotel will close on New Year's Day for a four-month, $15 million renovation.

Cyber-pet: Matilda III's Twitter account has almost a 1,000 followers and is regularly updated with her whereabouts

Read more: Cat-astrophe! Literary hotel's famous pet put on a tight leash after health department warning | Mail Online

Beautiful cat.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fuck the department of health. why do they have to take the fun out of everything? and what the fuck is dirty about cats?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Awww, c'mon - why does the DoH have to be such a party pooper The hotel was doing a great thing by giving these rescued cats a home.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Beautiful cat.
    Is that a Birman or a some kind of Ragdoll?

I love the picture of the cat with her paw on the computer..
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    fuck the department of health. why do they have to take the fun out of everything? and what the fuck is dirty about cats?
    Some people feel that the hair can get into a lot of places.. Also that cats climb on a lot of things..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Is that a Birman or a some kind of Ragdoll?
    She's a Ragdoll. She was featured on "Cats 101" on Animal Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Some people feel that the hair can get into a lot of places.. Also that cats climb on a lot of things..
    meh, they should go to another hotel then.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

some people are allergic to cats. Cats do shed. My calico sheds enough fur to build another cat. And the fur seems to end up on all my dark colored clothing.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Ordinarily I might agree that people's allergies and whatnot should be considered, but this cat schtick has been going on since 1932 in this hotel. People who stay at The Algonquin should be on notice by now that there is a cat in residence.

I'm 29 and even I'm old enough to remember a time before it seemed everyone had a bloody allergy. What in hell is happening here? Mother nature being fed up with us and trying to erase mankind - this I understand - but as a person with no known allergies I am bewildered that a cat can be a public health hazard. As a toddler I slept with kittehs and dogs sharing the same mattress... nowadays, apparently that's negligent parenting that can kill through allergic reactions (and the occasional smothering).

When I get a time machine, I'm going back to the early-80s.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Animals of any sort are banned in food service establishments, as they should be.

It's not like they have to get rid of the cat, it's still there and will remain so. It just has to be kept from the restaurant/food serving areas.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; November 26th, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information