Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I’ve become the type of creepy cat person I used to mock

Default I’ve become the type of creepy cat person I used to mock

I’ve become the type of creepy cat person I used to mock

karen gilmore

From Monday's Globe and Mail

Published Sunday, Nov. 20, 2011 4:00PM EST

Eight years ago, I absently wandered into a pet store’s Humane Society adoption centre. Being an animal lover who grew up with a cat, I should have recognized the danger.
    When a petite brown tortoiseshell tabby (also known as a torbie) looked up from her cage at my husband and me with bright, mournful green eyes, I knew we were in trouble.

After filling out the adoption papers, we swaddled our new one-year-old pet in an old bath towel like a baby and brought her home.
    The pressure was on to find a suitable name. When we noticed the cat’s proclivity for running frantic laps around the house, we decided to name her Lola (as in Run Lola Run, the critically acclaimed German film from the late 1990s).
    Though we doted on little Lola, we vowed not to become creepy cat people. You know the type. The type who refer to themselves as their cat’s mommy and daddy and get each other Mother’s and Father’s Day cards from the cat. The type of people who dress the cat up for Halloween, which we deemed equally humiliating for both parties. The type of people who document their cat’s every “milestone” in a Facebook photo album, then decide the cat needs its own Facebook profile to connect with its kitty friends (other creepy cat people).
    No, we were not going to be those people.
    We succeeded brilliantly at first. When our friends would ask how Lola was doing, we’d answer dismissively that she was doing fine and leave it at that. We hoped they would recognize we were not going to regale them with stories about our cat at every opportunity. And we’d have a good laugh at the expense of those magazines devoted exclusively to cats that we’d sometimes see while in line at the grocery store. After all, we weren’t that type of cat people. Yet.
    The first symptoms flared up when we took Lola to the vet for some shots. My husband and I couldn’t agree whose last name to give the cat on the intake form. After a lengthy debate, we decided to hyphenate. And so our cat was given the rather cumbersome moniker Lola Gilmore-Paul.
    Other signs that we were slowly becoming creepy cat people began to emerge. We had, for example, begun referring to ourselves, in private at least, as Lola’s mommy and daddy. In our defence, when we started doing this we were being completely tongue-in-cheek. But, over time, the irony was lost.
    Worse still, we were now talking to our cat. That in and of itself might not have been so bad had we not also begun answering on her behalf in the squeaky, breathy voice we imagined she’d have if she could actually speak.
    Soon after, we gave Lola an imaginary occupation as chaircat of the board of the Canadian Association of Torbies (CAT – get it?).
    “How was your day, Lola?” my husband would ask when he got home from work.
    “Well,” I’d squeak, “that fat cat down the block has been badmouthing meow to the CAT board. I think he’s after meow job.”
    Yes, we had begun anthropomorphizing our cat, a sure sign we were well on our way to becoming creepy cat people. Lola didn’t have her own Facebook page yet, but that was only because she had concerns with its privacy policies.
    Friends soon began to notice our transformation. They would talk about their children’s healthproblems – colds, flus, teething, bouts of diarrhea. In the past, we would have listened attentively, then politely changed the subject.
    Now that we were full-fledged creepy cat people, though, we began responding with anecdotes about Lola’s health concerns. Unfortunately for our friends, our cat provided an abundance of material. She had a plethora of food allergies and a compulsive tendency to overgroom, which resulted in rashes and other skinproblems.
    My parents grew concerned when I began referring to Lola as their grand-kitty. They tried to laugh it off, but I could see the fear in their eyes that their daughter had become that type of cat person and that Lola was indeed the closest they would ever get to a grandchild.
    If there were ever any doubt that my transition is complete, I suppose writing a missive on the topic seals the deal. I’m sure many cat owners that I would have formerly dismissed as those type of cat people are reading this and thinking, “Well, I may dress my pet up for Halloween, but at least I’m not writing essays about my cat.” To them I say: fair enough.
    Of course, now that I’m one of them, I no longer think creepy cat people are so bad. After all, there are many worse things one can do than love their cats so much they come to see them as full-fledged family members.
    Perhaps more importantly, though, I’d like to think this has made me less judgmental. Once in a while, when I see parents whose children are running amok, I’ll tell myself, “I won’t be that type of parent.” But then I remember I once vowed to not be that type of cat person either, and now here I am.
    Plus, is the type of person who gives her cat an imaginary occupation really in any position to judge?
    Karen Gilmore lives in Ottawa.

I’ve become the type of creepy cat person I used to mock - The Globe and Mail
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I can see why that appealed to you,Sput! How is Boris??

This is just a hoot, so many pet people feel exactly the same way. I love everyones pet stories!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

haha yeah i identified with far too many parts of that article. in my defence though, it's my mother who started referring to herself as boris's grandma.

little bobo is good. plump and happy. even behaves when the vet comes to see him. i'm the one freaking out like a neurotic parent because he's going to have to stay in a cat hotel for 2 weeks over christmas.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    haha yeah i identified with far too many parts of that article. in my defence though, it's my mother who started referring to herself as boris's grandma.
    Ahaha, my brother is the same, I wasn't calling myself Reena's mum but he started calling her his niece and it was downhill from there...

I don't talk about the kitty at work, though or discuss anything to do with the cat when the cow-workers are talking about their snowflakes. I know much better than that.

Poor Bobo, all alone Try not to worry, I'm sure he'll be fine. I know how you feel, I was asking the boyfriend about taking the cat with me to Norway this Christmas (quarantine, loooong quarantine and his sister got a new dog which will probably kill her)...
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Fortunately, one of the assistant managers at work has more cats than I do so we talk about kitty issues and funny stuff quite a bit. I am to the point where if you think I'm a crazy cat lady, that's okay with me. I take in rescues, strays and barn cats and they are all happy, healthy and loved. Go for it.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I don't talk about the kitty at work, though or discuss anything to do with the cat when the cow-workers are talking about their snowflakes. I know much better than that.

Poor Bobo, all alone Try not to worry, I'm sure he'll be fine. I know how you feel, I was asking the boyfriend about taking the cat with me to Norway this Christmas (quarantine, loooong quarantine and his sister got a new dog which will probably kill her)...
    yeah, i try to limit the cat-talk to when i'm with my other cat-people friends, and this board.
    and i know bobo will be fine at the cat-hotel. my friend has used them before and it looks really cool, it's run by this dutch woman/crazy cat lady and her husband and you have to fill out a giant form with very detailed questions and they have all these medical requirements so it's a pain in the ass getting them in there but i also take that as a good sign about the amount of care they'll give him. they even called me up to chat about his personality and what he enjoys doing, it was slightly surreal, having this long conversation about how bobo loves the laundry hamper and rolls of toilet paper and wrapping himself up in the cow rug and chasing balls of tin foil.

yeah, i try to limit the cat-talk to when i'm with my other cat-people friends, and this board.
    and i know bobo will be fine at the cat-hotel. my friend has used them before and it looks really cool, it's run by this dutch woman/crazy cat lady and her husband and you have to fill out a giant form with very detailed questions and they have all these medical requirements so it's a pain in the ass getting them in there but i also take that as a good sign about the amount of care they'll give him. they even called me up to chat about his personality and what he enjoys doing, it was slightly surreal, having this long conversation about how bobo loves the laundry hamper and rolls of toilet paper and wrapping himself up in the cow rug and chasing balls of tin foil.
    That seems the purr-fect place to leave him. Boris needs a vacation,too! He might not want to come home!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I've been known to send my cats a postcard when I've been away.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

^^^
    haha don't feel bad. my creepy cat people friends sent my bobo a birthday card and signed it from their cat.

Sput, i don't even know how you will handle being away. We had a vacation scheduled (just 4 days) but i couldn't handle someone else being responsible for my cats. After some discussion, we didn't go.

sad.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

i know i'm going to be a nervous, snivelling mess when the time comes. i've left him before when i've been away weekends, and one 4-day ski trip. but all those times, he was taken care of either by my creepy cat people friends (the bday card ones) or other close friends that i absolutely trust. this time, because it's xmas, everyone is going to be away so i really don't have a choice. it's either that or not meet up with my family and finally get to meet my new niece...

we are two creepy cat people.....call eachother mommy and daddy, discuss our kitties possible bloodlines (even though they are all strays), etc. welcome sputnik

I call my 14.5yr old dog my baby-wabie, and before he got this tumour in his neck I used to carry him around cradled like an infant. I don't think you people are strange. Once I've gotten over losing my little guy, I've already decided to go to the cat shelter at get two kittehs (I had two cats - one an adopted stray - before this dog). I'll be a crazy cat lady myself, soon enough. Animal people are good people; it's the animal haters I worry about.

Now I know who Boris is. One mystery solved...
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

^^^
    haha don't feel bad. my creepy cat people friends sent my bobo a birthday card and signed it from their cat.
    I used to do that all the time with mine. (How did I not know you had a Bobo)? Do you talk about him in some private section that I don't know about?

i know i'm going to be a nervous, snivelling mess when the time comes. i've left him before when i've been away weekends, and one 4-day ski trip. but all those times, he was taken care of either by my creepy cat people friends (the bday card ones) or other close friends that i absolutely trust. this time, because it's xmas, everyone is going to be away so i really don't have a choice. it's either that or not meet up with my family and finally get to meet my new niece...
    I had to leave my first rescue kitty when she was only 6 months old because I won a 2-week holiday in Asia. I was a mess the day before, and could barely manage to put her in the carry case and take her to the kitty boarding school. But sad to say, 2 weeks later when I went to pick her up in an excited frenzy she was quite unmoved, and the boarding staff said she was the cuddliest, schmooziest lap cat they'd had in ages. Probably out of pity they said it was no doubt because she was missing me, but that cat had the time of her life. Later she was quite cute and happy to be home though and I'm sure Boris will be too.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information