Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn it...I got adopted

Default Damn it...I got adopted

I wish i knew how to post pics here, then you would understand why I couldnt resist. I do not consder my self a cat person. My dad bought me a kitten my 1st day of 2nd grade and I had her for 18 years and she meant the world to me. When she passed I never thought I could or would have another cat.

Last Thursday, I went into my coworkers office to discuss an account we are working on and I heard, what would obviously be a kitten crying to any normal person, and I said shh do you hear that? He said yea, can you believe I've had to listen to that shit all morning? I wanted to punch him.

We had our first snowfall the night before and it was fairly cold outside. I ran back to my office and grabbed my coat and went to investigate. The cries were coming from the space between my building and a 10ft retaining wall where all the air conditioning units are. Under the snow are just huge rocks and I was in 3inch heels so it took me awhile to get back there. I finally found her stuck under one of the hoses.

She was so tiny, wet and obviously scared. I looked around to see any paw prints in the snow and there werent any so I knew she'd been there awhile. I scooped her up and took her inside. I got a paper box and put some towels inside so she could dry off and warm up while I called animal rescue. They said it would be a few hours but they were on their way. I go back to work and leave her with my assistant because I didnt want to get attached.

My assistant comes over and says she is calling rescue to cancel and she is taking the kitty home, which relieved me because I knew what would happen with our under funded over populated rescue system.

She texted me at 7pm to say she couldnt keep her, that her other two cats were not accepting her and wants to know what to do. I told her to keep the kitten in a separate area until everyone can adjust but she was adamant it wouldnt work.

I couldnt get her damn fur face out of my mind and how she was purring the second I picked her up....I thought, do not do this, but I texted her back and said I'd take her.

She is at best estimate 4 weeks old based on teeth and abilities. Thankfully she took to water and softened cat food right away and is using the litter box like a champ. Not one mess! She is schizophrenic for sure. One minute she wants to eat me the next she wants to crawl under my shirt and take a nap.

Yesterday morning, I was on the verge of giving up. She has the sharpest claws in the world and wants to use them on me and my furniture, walls, carpet etc. I have nice shit and dont want it ruined. Though my first cat was front declawed ( I was 8 and had no say ) I am not wanting to put her through that. I looked into nail caps and the first instruction was to have a calm kitty...I thought who invented these...a calm kitty? Does that exist?

Sorry this was so long. This has been my first time on the enterwebz all weekend as she is sleeping on my freshly dried towels.

Many blessings for you both. Finders, keepers! You should have known. She will take over your life and you will love every minute!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

fgg

what a lucky kitty! my puppy does the same thing with me - wants to impale me with her tiny razors then snuggle up and shower me with kisses the next minute!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Oh Froggy! Bless your little heart! A kitten loves you!

I have my cat trained like one would train a dog, I say no in a fairly loud voice (not really loud because of sensitive ears) and tap their nose (again not to hard as it's sensitive) at the same time.

The kneading is attention seeking, when she kneeds you and purrs she needs a cuddle. Try her with a cardboard box (on it's side as she little, so she has something to claw, try to move her to the box when she claws stuff so she understands, Walls & furniture no, cardboard box yes.

I'm sorry if youve heard all this before or if I'm telling you how to suck eggs. You might find some more useful info here... Home schooled scratching cat but don't give up, plus she's only a baby at the moment.

Congratulations of your new furbaby What's her name?
    Free Charmed.

Awww, Froggy, your co-worker is an ass, poor little kitten. And so young, I wonder if there was a whole litter and this little one is the sole survivor? Maybe try some canned food specifically for kittens, that might be more nourishing and easier to digest than dry.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Awwwwww photobucket is the easiest way to put pics on here *hint hint. Glad you found her
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Thanks everyone!

Novice, its been a long time since I've had a kitten so any advice is much appreciated! Before I took her home Thursday I googeled anything I could think of. My previous Kitty didnt have claws so this scratching is new to me. I spent a ridic amount of money on scratching posts, cat condos and toys...but she is more interested in my furniture. When I was ready to give up yesterday morning, I googeled how to stop her from attacking my feet and hands...believe it or not, the answer was plastic drinking straws. She loves them! She still attacks me, but I just go grab a straw and it keeps her semi entertained.

I named her Ramsay...after Gordon Ramsay, because for reasons I will never understand, I like him.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/Froogy22/sorry, I am stupid...I created a photobucket and I am too stupid to get it to work

If the link shares my personal info, can someone please tell me so I can remove?

BTW, that pic was right after I brought her inside and no that is not my ugly sweater.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

There you go Froogy. I've put the picture up for you.

And congrats on such a cute addition to your household! Don't worry about her scratching and biting you. She's grow out of it with time and patience and DO squeak or squeal and say NO at her if she hurts you (kitten claws - sharpest point known to man) and she'll learn to adjust how rough she is while she's practicing her fighting and hunting skills on your hands. Also I have five cats and I don't have a problem with them clawing the furniture as I clip their front claws myself with an ordinary pair of nail clippers. It's easy enough to do once they are used to it.

[YOUTUBE]5YLDQMvskH8[/YOUTUBE]
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

OMG, she's absolutely gorgeous! Bless you for doing this, Ramsay is so lucky!
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Have fun with her, Froogy!

Aw she is gorgeous! I love this story It makes me so happy to hear that you've given her a loving forever home.

As far as scratching - like Novice, I trained my dearly missed cat like a dog. She used to playbite, it was harmless but I didn't like it, so I would pull my hand back and stop all the loving and walk away when she would do it, after a few times she stopped and didn't do it again to me for the next 15 years but would to other people who liked it. Also trained her not to go upstairs past the landing and a few other things.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

She is so lucky to have found you! And she's such a little cutie.

Thank you for taking her in. She looks like a real sweetheart. Many happy years together!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information