Thread: Snappy the orange croc

Down Under in Boganville

Default Snappy the orange croc

Snappy the crocodile turns bright orange |

Snappy the Croc Turns Bright Orange

Source: Picture: Alex Coppel

CRIKEY, an orange croc!

At first glance, it looks like "Snappy" has tanned up for the Brownlow, the Herald Sun reported.

But the cranky chameleon has no one to blame but himself for changing colour - after apparently biting off more than he could chew.

Owner Tracey Sandstrom, who runs Roaming Reptiles, said Snappy made a meal out of the filter in his water tank.

"I think it caused the pH levels in his water to soar which has led to the change in colour."

She was stunned when her prized pet turned bright orange.

"Snappy's pretty territorial and he attacked the filter one day and a few weeks after that, I noticed he was orange," she said.

The 2.5m croc stays warm at night in his heated indoor tank before moving outside through his "croc flap" to bask in sunshine by day.

"It doesn't seem to have affected him at all. He's still got a healthy appetite, is normally aggro and doing everything he always does," Ms Sandstrom said.

Darwin croc expert Grahame Webb examined the Herald Sun photos and confirmed Snappy was a picture of health.

Professor Webb said he had seen crocs with stained skin and teeth before, usually caused by tannins in their water.

"Our guess is that it is something in the water such as iron or tannins from leaves or some red algae that oxidises when it dries," Professor Webb said.

"It seemed significant to us that the tongue was not coloured, or the inside of the angle of the jaw, which are more likely not to dry, whereas the skin would dry when they bask."

Professor Webb some some foods could possibly also cause an animal to go a reddish color.

"That happens evidently if they have high concentrations of beta carotene, but it would be unusual to use such foods. Snappy certainly seems OK."

Photo: Alex Coppel

Pet croc? What could go wrong?
    Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its bum"?

fellow traveller

hmm that belly would make a beautiful purse
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Evading P6 & P7

I think it'd be better in shoes.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

In the "D"

With all that, you could do shoes, a purse, a belt, a hat and a "snappy" little whip.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Seattle, Washington

Wow thats beautiful!
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Boots to match as well. What am I saying here! Oh well, crocs aren't exactly what I call cute.

I am shocked at the picture of her feeding him in the backyard. He could kill her at any second.

midwest USA

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    You are correct.

just another freak in the freak kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I am shocked at the picture of her feeding him in the backyard. He could kill her at any second.
    but she's got a big stick!

The photographer might've been an even easier target, too.

I will say that croc's pose there is hilarious. Like a spaniel going for a frisbee.....
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Thread Information