Thread: Help Me ID This River Fish, Please!!!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Help Me ID This River Fish, Please!!!

I have never seen a fish or heard of a fish with two rows, upper and lower, of small sharp teeth, outside of a piranha!

If anyone has any clue what this is, me and my ten yr old niece would love to know! We went to the Ohio River earlier, scoping out the banks, and found this sucker floating. My brave neice hillbilly handfished it out of the water, and walked it around asking people if they could ID the fish for us. (Lots of people fish off the banks).

We got a jack salmon, and a shad as answers, although the teeth were throwing people for a loop! The fish most guessed was piranha! LOL!

Any help appreciated.

Jeepers! Figures it'd be an Ohio river. Hee

Considering where you got it from, I almost said it was a pacu... but it has sharp teeth?! Everytime a "piranha" is pulled from the Ohio river, it turns out to be a pacu. Seriously, google: piranha like fish ohio.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Looks like a species of walleye to me.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Ding ding ding! I think Greys has it

What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

A*O

Did you find it near a nuclear power plant?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well, I thought walleye (or Jack Salmon), but the teeth look completely different!

No, we are not near a nuclear reactor, rofl!

Piranaha.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

It is a goldeye! Ours is much bigger than this one though. My brother and his wife got in tonight, (I was babysitting all week) and as we were driving back from the airport, I told them, Oh btw, your daughter has a fish she is bringing home. She wants to mount it on the wall, rofl!

Goldeye

Description
    Goldeye are a very bright silver fish with a gold coloration to the iris of their very large eye. They have sharp teeth on their tongue and jaws. The dorsal fin begins just behind the front edge of the anal fin and has 9 or 10 rays. Goldeye have a fleshy keel or pointed edge to their belly from between the pectoral fins all the way back to the anus. This keel does not have a row of scales folded over the edge like the shads and herrings forming a serrated saw like edge. Goldeye differ from the closely related mooneye by having a more elongate body, dorsal fin starting behind the front of the anal fin, longer keel on belly, and gold coloration to the iris of the eye.

Habitat and Habits
    Goldeye are found in large rivers and are rather tolerant (actually seem to have a preference for) turbid (murky) waters from clay silts. They do not however tolerate industrial chemical pollutants. They are often found in areas with swift currents, often below dams. In Ohio the goldeye is found in the Ohio River and its larger tributaries, particularly the Scioto River. Likely because of its preference for somewhat turbid waters it used to be much more abundant than the closely related mooneye. Today the goldeye is very rare in Ohio waters of the Ohio River and is far out numbered by the clear water preferring mooneye.

Reproduction and Care of the Young
    Goldeye are thought to spawn in March or early April. Details of their life history are unclear but it is thought that they spawn in areas with swift currents and allow their eggs to drift with the current until hatching.

Related Links

Aquatic Nusiance Species

Bait Dealer Information

Fisheries Management

Go Fish!

Yep, that's him. Interesting find.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Man, I had this pegged for a troll thread. Damn - hopes dashed.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Hit By Ban Bus!

Nope, no trolls here! Just googly eyed dead fish with lots of teeth!

I thought a Barracuda was ugly, that things mouth is hideous. What are they like to eat, I bet they're tasty.

Kin they be et?
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Thread Information