Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm getting a little worried: How do you care for an aging dog?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default I'm getting a little worried: How do you care for an aging dog?

How long do small-medium dog breeds usually live?
    Elmo has turned 9 in Feb. I've heard that small-medium dogs live to be around 12-14?
    He's healthy so far. He had his blood tested when he had his dental and everything was within the normal range (though I couldn't really understand the chart the vet gave us, it had those mineral levels etc and I don't remember anything from my chemistry class so I couldn't make them out. e.g. something like ag, is this argon/silver?)
    Anyways, the vet said to watch for his pancrease cuz he's getting old etc But what can I do for his pancrease????
    And Elmo seems to get very tired from our walks. In the morning/afternoon I walk him for about 8 blocks. At night he just goes out and does his business, sometimes we take him to a park but usually just on our block.

Are there things I should be more aware/careful of since he's a senior now?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Default Re: I'm getting a little worried: How do you care for an aging dog?

I've heard that pug life spans are generally in that 12-14 year range you mentioned - altho my dog's obedience teacher had a pug that she said lived til 20!!!
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

My parents take their senior pets in for a "senior check-up" twice a year. I guess it's some special package of tests, etc that the vet does.

They've had toy poodles since I can remember and the last one lived until he was 18.

Isn't the pancreas where insulin is made? Lots of older animals develop diabetes. Make sure he is not overweight, and just take him for check every so often, so they can keep up with that.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Ok, thanks guys. Hope Elmo will live a long healthy life.

So ok I'll take him for a check up 2ice a year.
    And I'll consider getting a pet insurance.
    Have them do a CBC (complete blood count) and CMP (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel).
    Our vets did this in his last blood test, I was wondering why it cost so much more than it used to and ask them why and they said cuz he's now a senior he needs more extensive blood work.

And about the pancrease, so I'll need to be watchful of his sugar level, right? I give him carrots sometimes as a snack and I heard that carrots are actually high in sugar so I'll reduce that from his diet and I'll be a little more strict about how much he eats. He's a pug so he tends to get rather chubby and the vets told us for many many times that he needs to go on a diet. He's lost some weight now so he's about 20lb.

How much do your pugs weigh eeyore?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    Ok, thanks guys. Hope Elmo will live a long healthy life.

How much do your pugs weigh eeyore?
    LOL! I got some big guys! they are 28, 24 and 20 lbs. The 28 one isnt as bad as it sounds - hes big all over - longer legs, longer torso etc.
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

My Elmo is actually big all over, too (except his feet, his feet look like rabit's ). We chose the biggest pup from the litter. But the vet has been telling us for many years that he needs to be on a diet and warned us about heart problems etc. But they don't know that Elmo is just big boned! Most pugs are chubby anyways, just like bull dogs and other similar breeds. I guess 20lb is good for now. The vet said to aim for 18-19 but it's close enough. I don't want Elmo to be pugorexic.

If my big guy, Pugsley, went down to 20 he'd look sickly! On the other hand, my 20 lb guy is his own perfect weight; they have different bodies.

When we rescued my 20lb guy, Louie, he was 10 lbs! He had a malnutrition hunchback and white clouded eyes. Thats all gone now and he looks just like any other normal healthy pugger!
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

My dog didn't like the vet food either, mainly because it had bigger pebbles than he's used to. He likes his cheapy food Beneful... But oh yes, the pancrease!

Silver Member

I just took mine off Beneful and put them on a rice/chicken kibble that was 3 dollars cheaper and the same size as the Beneful which was 19.00 for 40 lbs. at Costco Wholesale...

My Bella is just getting gray around the ears, she is about 9 years old.

Moomies you sound like a very good mother. Kisses to your doggy.

Quote Originally Posted by chatterweb
    I just took mine off Beneful and put them on a rice/chicken kibble that was 3 dollars cheaper and the same size as the Beneful which was 19.00 for 40 lbs. at Costco Wholesale...

My Bella is just getting gray around the ears, she is about 9 years old.
    Elmo has turned grey in the face so he doesn't look like a real pug
    Chatter be careful with the dog food you buy from Costco. They still sell dog food by Diamond Foods which was found to have some deadly fungus that killed many dogs across the US and even some in Euro. SVZ posted an article about it a while ago. I didn't know about it back then and had bought a huge bag of dog food from Costco, after reading the article I went to look at the dog food and found that it was made by Diamond foods and I returned it to Costco (got full money back and the customer service there didn't even know that the Diamond Foods Dog Food was being recalled). So go check. Diamond Foods is also paying for vet bills that ppl had to pay to check their pets for illnesses, it causes liver damage etc. But yea go find the article, it's somewhere in this forum.

Moomies you sound like a very good mother. Kisses to your doggy.
    Thanks Reina! How's your dog doing after the surgery?

Silver Member

Costco is not a good dog food scource? OMG!!! What about the doggie treats I buy and the cat food?????
    My poor doggies may suffer liver damage?!?
    I am returning that bag tomorrow, first thing!!!

Thanks Moomies!!!

Oh not everything from Costco is bad, just check for the brand, see if it's by Diamond Foods.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    Elmo has turned grey in the face so he doesn't look like a real pug
    Chatter be careful with the dog food you buy from Costco. They still sell dog food by Diamond Foods which was found to have some deadly fungus that killed many dogs across the US and even some in Euro. SVZ posted an article about it a while ago. I didn't know about it back then and had bought a huge bag of dog food from Costco, after reading the article I went to look at the dog food and found that it was made by Diamond foods and I returned it to Costco (got full money back and the customer service there didn't even know that the Diamond Foods Dog Food was being recalled). So go check. Diamond Foods is also paying for vet bills that ppl had to pay to check their pets for illnesses, it causes liver damage etc. But yea go find the article, it's somewhere in this forum.

Thanks Reina! How's your dog doing after the surgery?
    She is resting but not eating. I have some ground turkey that I am going to make a little meat loaf for her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information