Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help! Baby Robin fell (pushed???) from nest

Default Please help! Baby Robin fell (pushed???) from nest

Hey guys -- I was wondering if anyone could give me some quick advice: we have a robin nest above our porch and the birds are about 5 days old. A baby bird fell out of the nest this am - I grabbed a ladder and put him back. I just went outside and he was on the floor again (about 2 hours later). His breathing is pretty shallow but I can't tell if he's injured. I'm not sure if I should replace him again or take him to a wildlife rehabber. I googled it and can't really figure if the momma is pushing him out on purpose (maybe she knows he's in bad health or something) but I can't bear to leave him on the ground suffering. I picked him up and put him in a box with a warm water bottle to keep warm. Poor little dear looks miserable. Please help.

ETA: I left a message for a wildlife rehabber here in Austin. Their answering machine advised 6 hour callback.
    Last edited by cherrypye; July 25th, 2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: new update

Only five days old in July? It's mother is rejecting him because he was born too late. It won't be big enough to fly south by winter. I think it would be kinder to allow nature to take its course, unless you want to own a bird for forever.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hmm, I'd probably take the baby bird to a wildlife place seeing as he keeps falling/being pushed out. Poor thing!

see if you have a project wildlife in your area. They helped us a few weeks ago when we found a baby bird. They gave us a place to take the bird to
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Greys this is their third batch since may. He has 2 other nest mates, and they are thriving, but this guy, not so much. The previous batch all seemed to be in pretty good health, but truth be told, I know nothing about birds.

Sarzy, I'm hoping they call back soon. Worst thing is my car is being serviced, so my husband is already on alert that he may need to come home to take us to the rehabber. I hope they call back quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypye View Post
    Sarzy, I'm hoping they call back soon. Worst thing is my car is being serviced, so my husband is already on alert that he may need to come home to take us to the rehabber. I hope they call back quickly.
    I hope they get back to you. But if not don't worry, you tried. I know it feels sad to leave a bird to die but as Grey's said, it's nature. Don't feel too bad about it.

Aww, poor little bird. I agree with the wildlife rehab advice, if anyone can save baby birds, they can. Good luck!!
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

one of the things they told us to do to feed the bird was crush up some kitty crunchy food. saturate it with water, and put it in their beaks. they will eventually swallow it. Its amazing to watch them open up their beaks to eat when they know the food is near.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I'm in Austin and the wildlife rehab place is generally pretty good about getting back to you. Often times, baby birds seem like they fall out and are in distress, but the mom is watching over it and will bring it food. So it's best not to disturb that, except maybe to provide a water source next to the bird. I disagree with giving it food, this can be very detrimental.

Here's what I found on their site:
    What do I do if I find an injured bird?
    Put the bird into a box and bring it to our Intake Center. If the bird is still able to hop around, we recommend you try to corner it and throw a towel over it so you are able to scoop it into a box with the least amount of trauma to the bird. We set many wings and legs, as well as treat al kinds of bites, eye injuries, and shock.
    What do I do if I have found a baby bird?
    First determine if the bird is a nestling or a fledgling. A nestling is a very young bird that has just hatched and has little to no feathers. If it's a nestling, you're best option is to return the bird to the nest if possible. It is okay that you touch the bird, the mom will continue to feed it once it's back in the nest. If you are unable to reach the nest, you can create a make-shift nest such as a plastic bowl with a couple of wholes at the bottom of the bowl or basket and nail it as high up you can reach of the tree; the mom will feed it from there.
    If the bird is a fledgling, it will appear fluffy, with some feathers and a few naked patches. These birds are meant to be on the ground and in low branches. They spend about a week learning to fly and the parents will feed them and try to keep them hidden in a bush or up against your house. Watch the bird to make sure it does not appear lethargic. These birds do very well on the ground and it is the only way they will learn to survive on their own. Cats, dogs, and kids always seem like major threats to these small, young birds, but resist the urge to pick it up and bring it into us unless it is injured or unable to stand.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Guys, thank you for everything!

I finally got a call back and they advised that I could put him back in the nest. I did, and then sat on the floor in the living room (crouched down so momma bird didn't spot me), watching to see if momma bird was feeding him and also his brothers. I was worried she'd see me as a predator and abandon the nest. She is feeding him and his siblings, and he seems to be pretty energetic. I''m hoping that this will be the end of it, but if he falls again, I'll take him to the wildlife rehabber straight away.

I know it's probably best to let nature take it's course, but I've enjoyed spying on these guys over the last week and it really broke my heart to see him in distress.

To give you a little more insight into my craziness, I ran out into my back yard last night barefoot and in a really inappropriate nightgown cause my husband said, "Hey look, that cat is about to attack a baby rabbit in the back yard!" Heck if a bunny was gonna get killed by the neighbors cat on my watch.

I think this all means I need to find a job, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I'm in Austin and the wildlife rehab place is generally pretty good about getting back to you. Often times, baby birds seem like they fall out and are in distress, but the mom is watching over it and will bring it food. So it's best not to disturb that, except maybe to provide a water source next to the bird. I disagree with giving it food, this can be very detrimental.
    Manx, thanks for the advice. That place is such a godsend. I'm very impressed with the organization.

Sad update: the little guy fell from the nest a third time yesterday. The wildlife rehabbers told us to bring him in this am and gave us instructions on how to help him overnight.

My husband and I took care of him as best we could throughout the night.

The little guy died this morning as we pulled into the wildlife rehab center. The kind volunteers took him from us and thanked us for trying to help. I'm happy he's no longer suffering but wish he could have survived.

Thanks for the help and advice. If there is a wildlife rehab center in your area, please consider supporting them with your time and or a donation. They are doing great work. I'd volunteer, but I get too emotionally attached. Donation seems the way to go for me.

Aw, that's a shame. But you did your best!

So very sad to hear, I'm sure you did ease his suffering though.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Cherrypye, I am sorry!! We have swallows who nest in our entry way every single year, and this year we lost 2 babies from the most recent clutch. But 3 of them survived, which is great considering the awful drought and decrease in insects.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information