Thread: Study asks: Where do cats go when they roam?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default Study asks: Where do cats go when they roam?

Study asks: Where do cats go when they roam?

* By Barbara Kohn, Cats Examiner

If you've always wondered just how far your cat goes when it leaves the house, the answer has been discovered. A two-year study of feral and free-roaming cats conducted by the University of Illinois department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences and the universityís Prairie Research Institute has some surprising results for cat owners and feral cat colony feeders.

As part of the study, researchers fitted some 42 adult feral and owned cats in the Champaign-Urbana area with radio transmitters. Of these, 23 transmitters had tilt and vibration sensors that made it possible to track the catís every move.

As researchers expected, the feral cats roamed in a larger area and were more active throughout the year. But it was the size of the feral catsí home range that was the surprise. One of the male feral cats had a home range of over 1300 acres, making it the largest range of the cats tracked. This cat was seen in both urban and rural sites, everywhere from residential and campus lawns to agricultural fields, forests and a restored prairie, the University reports.
    Advertisement

By contrast, owned cats had significantly smaller territories and tended to stay closer to home. The average home range for owned cats was slightly less than 5 acres. The study says that the owned cats managed to roam this far despite being asleep or in low activity 97 percent of the time. Only three percent of their time was spent running or stalking pretty. Feral cats on the other hand were active 14 percent of the time.

Researchers attribute the need to find food as the reason for feral cats roaming farther and being more active. Un-owned cats have to search harder to find food to create the body heat they need to survive in cold weather, they point out.

It was interesting to note that whether feral or owned, most of the cats stayed within about 300 meters of human buildings. This shows that even the ferals have some dependency on humans.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Study asks: Where do cats go when they roam? - National Cats | Examiner.com Study asks: Where do cats go when they roam? - National Cats | Examiner.com

Study asks: Where do cats go when they roam? - National Cats | Examiner.com

cats are so lazy, I can't get over their lifestyle I swear

^ Lol. It's like male lions, I think they spend most of the time asleep.
    My neighbours cats certainly don't roam far, they seem to spend all day in my garden!

awww
    cool study.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'd like to put a transmitter on Mr Sassypants. He visits us every few days and I have no idea where he goes in between, if anyone owns him etc.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

They're looking for either food, or sex.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

These describe my cats perfectly. They are lazy or asleep 90% of the time, but when they roam they disappear waaaay out into they woods. However, the do love hunting a lot more than 3%. The amount of moles, lizards, frogs, snakes, birds, etc. that wind up on my carport during the spring/summer is unreal. They know I don't like it, but they still do it just to show me who's boss.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

My daughter's fat ass cat tried to make a break for it yesterday when I was carrying in groceries. We had a 15 second face-off in the garage but I was faster.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Bwahaha. I take it he wouldn't fare well outdoors?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ Lol. It's like male lions, I think they spend most of the time asleep.
    My neighbours cats certainly don't roam far, they seem to spend all day in my garden!
    little bastards

I have a rescue who's a year old now and I feel so bad for her b/c the other 2 don't do much themselves, especially the older female and the youngin' seems to want to play and go outside and do stuff, but most of the time she just sits back watching me or interacting/following w/ me so who knows - if I had a yard, that would be great for them, but I'm an apartment dweller so the safety of the balcony is the best they can do

The kitty I had growing up would disappear into the bush every night, and would reappear in the morning with the remains of various species of wildlife in her whiskers. Now there are very few native animals left in the bushland behind the house I grew up in, because most families in the area would let their cats run wild (like we did). That's why my kitties now aren't allowed to roam - even though I live close to the city there are still native birds, possums etc living in our trees and I want to protect them as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    Bwahaha. I take it he wouldn't fare well outdoors?
    Not likely. That's probably how she ended up in the shelter where my daughter got her. Definitely a cat who requires convenient food and a controlled climate.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

^My kind of kitty!

Got the scare of my life from one of my cats (sort of) a couple of weeks ago. Left the garage door open while mowing and they tend to wander in and out but know better than to get trapped in there. Sure enough, at roll call, Olive was missing. Sigh. I go downstairs to check the garage/basement. Olive is dark gray with just a little bit of white and orange. Open the door and this big ass white Siamese cat jumps off the mower at me. Locked Olive in the garage, but also one of the neighborhood strays! I don't know who was more startled, me or the cats.

Olive also went roaming and was missing for a full week. I couldn't figure out where the hell she was but it was her turn to be the one that wonders out to BFE. Turns out she had gotten stuck in a neighbor's shed on mowing day and was stuck for an entire week until the next mowing day. Little brat still hasn't learned her lesson about wandering.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGNKvT0_lF4[/YOUTUBE]

^^ I've always wanted to leave a little webcam running to see what my bear Preston does when I'm away. I tend to worry that I leave him alone too much and that makes him sad, but after seeing that I'm beginning to think he probably just sleeps in his cat house all day.

That article is interesting - I'm fascinated by cat behavior, I think they're such curious creatures.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

omg celeb_2006 that video cracked me up!!!!

Thread Information