Thread: Koala Bears may face extinction after Chlamydia outbreak

Bronze Member

Default Koala Bears may face extinction after Chlamydia outbreak

according to Australian media
    Koalas 'extinct within 30 years' after chlamydia outbreak - Telegraph

A conservation group has warned that overdevelopment, disease, climate change, and sexual disease are killing off the species.

The Australian Koala Foundation has urged the government to list the species as vulnerable after it found there may be as few as 43,000 of the tree-dwelling animals left on the mainland.

The figures show that koala populations have fallen sharply since the last survey in 2003, when it was estimated that there were 100,000 in Australia.

A study carried out by the foundation earlier this year found that since then the mainland population had fallen to between 43,000 and 80,000.

If the rate of "drastic decline" continued unchecked, the koala could vanish in 30 years, the group warned.

The foundation said its research confirmed years of anecdotal reports of dwindling populations along the east coast.
    "I think it will be very hard for anyone to walk away from this data.
    We have a very high level of confidence that it accurately shows a drastic decline," said the foundation's chief executive, Deborah Tabart.

Large numbers have been killed by an outbreak of chlamydia, a sexually transmitted disease, while others have been affected by loss of habitat due to deforestation and climate change, she said.
    Hotter, drier conditions had also reduced the nutritional value of their staple food, eucalyptus leaves, leading to fatal malnutrition.
    The Koala Foundation collected data from 1,800 field sites and 80,000 specific trees in an attempt to gauge koala numbers.

But in one area of northern Queensland state which had an estimated 20,000 koalas a decade ago, a team of eight people did not find even one koala after four days of recent searching, Ms Tabart said.
    Koalas live in eucalyptus forests in Australia's east and south, and are notoriously fussy about what types of eucalyptus leaves they eat.
    It is estimated that the furry marsupials generate $1 billion a year to the Australian economy in tourism.

An attempt in 2006 to have the species listed as vulnerable failed when the federal government's threatened species steering committee decided it did not meet the criteria

This is just sad.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Poor little koalas.

Maybe the same thing will happen to the Kardashians.

Very sad. Just like the Tasmanian Devil and their outbreak of facial tumours. I do wish that this article listed some ways in which people could help.

Pet Peeve: it's not Koala Bears.. just Koala.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

poor furry little whores

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

awww
    they're the cutest whores ever though.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    This is just sad.
    It is when its probably easily controlled/cleared up with antibiotics. Chlamydia is also psitticosis in parrots....
    Free Charmed.

Brawwwk! Polly wanna STD.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    poor furry little whores

I used to think they were cute until rollo had that creepy fucking avi.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Part of the problem is they're becoming isolated in small pockets of eucalyptus forest when there used to be an unbroken corridor down the entire east coast of Australia. Now they strip the gum trees bare but can't move on, and the small areas are becoming overpopulated without enough food for them, which makes diseases easier to spread.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I used to think they were cute until rollo had that creepy fucking avi.
    that avatar may be the reason that nobody's helping the dirty little whores.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Thread Information