Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned hedgehog will never find mate because she has no bristles

Default Abandoned hedgehog will never find mate because she has no bristles

A rescued baby hedgehog will never be able to attract a mate because of a mystery skin condition which has left her completely bald and without spines.
    Betty was abandoned by her family before she was found by a member of the public and handed in to staff at an animal rescue centre.
    Animal experts are baffled by her mystery skin condition, which has caused the lonely hedgehog's skin to become dry and left her without any spines.

Having a ball: Betty the hedgehog, who was abandoned by her family because she does not have any spikes

Six-week-old Betty is now so scared of other hedgehogs that staff at the animal sanctuary believe she will never find a mate.
    However, she cannot be returned to the wild because her lack of spines means she would be unable to defend herself against predators such as badgers and foxes.

Tonia and John Garner, 47 and 52, who run Foxy Lodge rescue centre, near Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, revealed Betty will endure a lonely life unless her spines return.
    Mum-of-one Tonia said: 'She's healthy and everything is absolutely fine apart from she doesn't have any spines.

Unlucky in love: Betty is being snubbed by the male hedgehogs because of her skin condition

'It's very sad because she cannot protect herself. She rolls up in a little ball but because she doesn't have the spines she is easy meat for any predator.
    'We won't let Betty be with alone with the males. She is very frightened of being near other hedgehogs and any offspring could have the same genetic condition.
    'We keep her alone in an enclosure indoors and I mix almond oil and tea tree oil to put on her back sometimes because her skin can get very dry.
    'We have to keep her out of the sun because she can burn up as her skin is very sensitive. We just hope the spines will return so she can have a normal life.'
    Betty is being kept in her own enclosure at Foxy Lodge rescue centre and has become too scared to approach other young females.
    Because she has no protective spikes she is also being kept away from aggressive hedgehogs and males.

Many of the other hedgehogs have ostracised Betty because of her unusual skin condition and she now faces a life of solitude.
    Without her spines Betty's skin is too sensitive to be allowed outside in the blistering sun and her rough hide is moisturised every day to stop it from drying out.
    After eating a diet of fine chopped chicken and cat food the battling hedgehog has grown to a healthy 650g and regained some of her strength.
    Tonia believes Betty could be the youngest in a family of spineless hedgehogs living nearby.

Helping hands: Betty is being cared for by Toni Garner at her rescue centre near Great Yarmouth

The animal sanctuary cared for abandoned male hedgehog Baldrick, who also lost his spines and was found in a neighbouring street, 18 months ago.
    Baldrick sadly died last summer.
    John said: 'It seemed just impossible but when my wife looked into the box for the first time she said 'Oh my God we've got another Baldrick'.
    'She looks the same as Baldrick - she has the same face - and also does something similar when you handle her where she curls up in a ball and jumps up while making a huffing noise.
    'It's too much of a coincidence to get another one, so we think there might be a female or male carrying a genetic disorder.
    'They could even be brother or sister from different litters.
    'We can't release her - she is like an animal without fur and just wouldn't be able to keep warm enough to survive hibernation.'

Hedgehogs rely on their spines, hollow hairs made stiff with keratin, for insulation and protection and the only animals in Britain immune to most predator attacks.
    When under extreme stress or during sickness, they can sometimes lose spines and their ability to roll into a tight ball is compromised.
    Tonia and John, a railway signalman, keep around 40 animals at Foxy Lodge sanctuary including deer, foxes, hedgehogs and owls.
    The couple set up their sanctuary two and a half years ago after they got married.
    Tonia spent 30 years as a manger at Mencap before she was made redundant last year and now devotes all of her time to the sanctuary.

Read more: Abandoned hedgehog will never find mate because she has no bristles | Mail Online

Aw, poor little thing! I want to pet her and rub oil on her back!

at the name Baldrick though!

Bless her heart, that's so sad that she might be alone.

I have my period, so this will make me cry for sure. I do hope her caregivers are giving her lots of cuddles.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Poor baby!!!
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

My oldest daughter LOVES Hedgehogs (why, I have no clue)! She has several plush/stuffed ones. I am going to show her the pics tomorrow, but not tell her the story, it will kill her. Poor little thing.....

I know how she feels
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

It is so sad....and I know she's going to ask questions, but I feel I need to show her, and discuss with her--up to what she can handle. She is a true Hedgehog lover. And Wildebeast...yes.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg that is so fucking cute!

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    It is so sad....and I know she's going to ask questions, but I feel I need to show her, and discuss with her--up to what she can handle. She is a true Hedgehog lover. And Wildebeast...yes.
    She sounds so cute. My son's newest craze is riding his bike around the neighborhood in search of "stray" cats. The only strays he has found are well fed house cats. My fear is that he is going to steal someone's beloved pet because he thinks it needs saving.
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    My oldest daughter LOVES Hedgehogs (why, I have no clue)! She has several plush/stuffed ones. I am going to show her the pics tomorrow, but not tell her the story, it will kill her. Poor little thing.....
    Aw. I think she has good taste, they're cute. Not the most cuddly of animals however lol. I've held a baby one before and they are rather adorable.

Oh lord...we are looking at the pictures of Betty right now...and my 7 yr old is like,uh...thats NOT a hedgehog! So I attempted to explain that Betty is indeed a hedgehob, minus the hedge and that she needs some extra attention in life, and has some great people taking care of her,etc.

No, not a hedgehog. But she thought she was darn cute all the same! And then she asked if she could call her 'hedgy' instead of Betty.

Awww, that's sweet.

Buy a hedgehog weave.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Buy a hedgehog weave.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information