Thread: Need Dog People To Answer A Question

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Need Dog People To Answer A Question

If you would, please.

For the dog owners/lover on the board, is walking an apartment bound dog once a day considered sufficient? There is no yard, the dog is confined to apartment when not being walked/brought along on car rides.

Just curious.

Depends on the dog (energy level, age, etc) and length of the walk.

I have a house bound dog and he has to potty at least 3 times a day, sometimes more. And that's just to do the basic dog business. We spend about 10 minutes 3 times a day just attending to that and letting him sniff around and then we take longer walks on in the afternoon after work.

Once a day is insufficient, imo. Then again, I think that if it's between the dog spending his life in an apartment or spending it at the pound, I'd say the apartment.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Its a rather small dog, looks like a mixed terrier, like toto a bit. It barks a lot and I can see it scratching the porch window when I enter or exit the parking lot some days.

I am not a dog person, don't own one and always thought house dogs needed to be potty walked more than once a day.

I agree with Laurent, definitely more than once a day, but the apartment is preferable to the pound.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

You'll need to take it outside a few times so it can go to the toilet. Walking it once or twice a day too.

No, once a day is not enough. Even if the dog has a place to go indoors, like one of these.

I have a fenced yard, so when I'm home, the dogs can go in and out as they please. When I'm gone, they can generally hold it for several hours but at minimum, they are let out three times per day, in the morning, when I get home, and before bed. They also get walks and weather permitting, fetch or frisbee in the back yard so they can get their ya-yas out.

My dogs aren't little ones though. Both 50 lbs plus.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by baked_tater View Post
    Its a rather small dog, looks like a mixed terrier, like toto a bit. It barks a lot and I can see it scratching the porch window when I enter or exit the parking lot some days.

I am not a dog person, don't own one and always thought house dogs needed to be potty walked more than once a day.
    Is this a neighbor's dog? I have a neighbor who has a huge German Shepherd. The stupid skank who owns him rarely takes him out. He's limited to his balcony. I think he's gone insane. He barks endlessly at nothing. Poor thing.

Elite Member

Dogs need to go out at least 3x a day. They need at least 1 good walk a day, with stimulation.

If you get a dog, expect exercise. It's actually the smaller dogs that usually require more.

BTW, it makes me so sad when apartment dwellers get terriers thinking they have a cute little puppet with few requirements. Terriers need more stimulation and exercise than any other dog type (outside of Border Collies who are just freaks.)

Poor pup! Your neighbors are neglecting him.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

fgg

I agree that the dog needs to go out probably three times a day. This is for the dog to get out and explore as much as it is to go to the bathroom. You wouldn't want to be locked up inside all day and dogs don't either.
    Posted from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    I agree that the dog needs to go out probably three times a day. This is for the dog to get out and explore as much as it is to go to the bathroom. You wouldn't want to be locked up inside all day and dogs don't either.
    This is why I hate hearing people say they don't walk their dog because "we've got a big backyard". The dog needs to get out of his environment and be stimulated, it's not just about exercise. And then they wonder why their dog barks non-stop and tries to chew his own leg off.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    This is why I hate hearing people say they don't walk their dog because "we've got a big backyard". The dog needs to get out of his environment and be stimulated, it's not just about exercise. And then they wonder why their dog barks non-stop and tries to chew his own leg off.
    couldn't agree more!
    -

Thread Information