Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling animals 'pets' is insulting, academics claim

Default Calling animals 'pets' is insulting, academics claim

Calling animals 'pets' is insulting, academics claim

Animal lovers should stop calling their furry or feathered friends “pets” because the term is insulting, leading academics claim.

The researchers say 'pet' is demeaning Photo: REX

By John Bingham 28 Apr 2011

Domestic dogs, cats, hamsters or budgerigars should be rebranded as “companion animals” while owners should be known as “human carers”, they insist.

Even terms such as wildlife are dismissed as insulting to the animals concerned – who should instead be known as “free-living”, the academics including an Oxford professor suggest.

The call comes from the editors of then Journal of Animal Ethics, a new academic publication devoted to the issue.

It is edited by the Revd Professor Andrew Linzey, a theologian and director of the Oxford Centre for Animal Ethics, who once received an honorary degree from the Archbishop of Canterbury for his work promoting the rights of “God’s sentient creatures”.

In its first editorial, the journal – jointly published by Prof Linzey’s centre and the University of Illinois in the US – condemns the use of terms such as ”critters” and “beasts”.

It argues that “derogatory” language about animals can affect the way that they are treated.

“Despite its prevalence, ‘pets’ is surely a derogatory term both of the animals concerned and their human carers,” the editorial claims.

“Again the word ‘owners’, whilst technically correct in law, harks back to a previous age when animals were regarded as just that: property, machines or things to use without moral constraint.”

It goes on: “We invite authors to use the words ‘free-living’, ‘free-ranging’ or ‘free-roaming’ rather than ‘wild animals’
    “For most, ‘wildness’ is synonymous with uncivilised, unrestrained, barbarous existence.

“There is an obvious prejudgment here that should be avoided.”
    Prof Linzey and his co-editor Professor Priscilla Cohn, of Penn State University in the US, also hope to see some of the more colourful terms in the English language stamped out.

Phrases such as “sly as a fox, “eat like a pig” or “drunk as a skunk” are all unfair to animals, they claim.

“We shall not be able to think clearly unless we discipline ourselves to use less than partial adjectives in our exploration of animals and our moral relations with them," they say.

Calling animals 'pets' is insulting, academics claim - Telegraph

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

So, will the "Pet Peeves" section here will be renamed "Companion Animal Peeves"?

What I do think is insulting is to call nasty violent people, 'animals'. Animals are much better than them.

Oh, please! When people start treating their "companion animals" the way I treat my pets, I might listen.

So, have the animals voiced a complaint over it? On-line petition?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Silver Member

Does this mean we should also find another word for "pet" as in petting them? Idiots.

“For most, ‘wildness’ is synonymous with uncivilised, unrestrained, barbarous existence.
    Um yeah, ever seen a pack of hyenas tuck into a carcass?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

What about sonofabitch? My dog really is.
    On the whole, I refuse to be PC in front of my dogs. I say nothing when they sniff each others privates. It balances out.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How fucking stupid!! When my "pet" gets smart enough to sue me for this,...then I will worry about it.

I think people who love their animals will treat them well, regardless of what they call them.

I asked my cat and she said she doesn't give a fuck what I call her so long as dinner is on time, ditto with the dogs
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    I asked my cat and she said she doesn't give a fuck what I call her so long as dinner is on time, ditto with the dogs
    This plus my cats added and pet me when I want you to and leave us the fuck alone when we don't.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Ha my nanna used to call me "pet". I wasn't offended and I doubt my furry friends are either. Anywho, I'm sure Jack would piss on my leg if he had a problem with it.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Still no complaints from my cats. And I have used the p-e-t word a few (hundred) times.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Silver Member

I treat my pets a WHOLE lot better than I treat most people, in general.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information