Thread: Deer guards nesting Canada goose

Default Deer guards nesting Canada goose

Buck hasn't left his post for days in Buffalo cemetery

By NEALE GULLEY, Reuters April 9, 2011

A deer has been standing watch for several days over a female goose nesting in a city cemetery, a scene normally reserved for a children's movie."People always want to turn it into a Disney story, and in this case it's not far off," said Gina Browning, director of the Erie County SPCA.
    For at least four days, the buck stood guard near the nest of a Canada goose as she sits on her eggs inside a large urn at Forest Lawn cemetery, home to the remains of former U.S. president Millard Fillmore and rock icon Rick James.
    "He does appear to be guarding the goose, as it were," Erie County SPCA Wildlife Administrator Joel Thomas said. "He's within touching distance of her - there's no doubt what's going on."
    The deer, which he said looks like a buck that has not yet started to grow antlers, has not strayed from his post.
    Employees at the cemetery were alerted to the situation after the animal positioned itself between the bird and an employee of a company that traps and relocates geese, which Thomas said have become a messy problem in large numbers.
    "When he approached the bird with a net, the deer puts itself between him and the bird, and he's repeated that behaviour for some time," he said.
    Typically positioning himself broadside to any car or passerby who comes near the nest, the deer stares intently until the potential aggressor moves on, he said.
    Why the deer has chosen to champion a bird of a different feather is a complicated question, Thomas said. Although interdependence among species in the wild is not unheard of, Thomas said whatever is causing this animal kingdom alliance is anybody's guess.
    "From a human standpoint we can fill in a lot of blanks, but it doesn't mean we're right," he said. "Does he know she's nesting? I don't know. Is he going to leave when the chicks hatch? I don't know."
    One thing is clear: It could go on for some time. The gestation period for a Canada goose is up to 31 days, Thomas said, with the nesting season only just beginning. Normally both male and female geese share the task of keeping the eggs warm, but the expectant mom at Forest Lawn appears not to have that luxury.
    © Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: Deer guards nesting Canada goose

Sweet.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Bless the animal kingdom.
    Go Habs Go!!

If only humans could get along so well.

Interspecies step-father. God bless them.

It amazes me that animals, who many claim aren't as advanced as the human race, show more kindness and love than humans show to each other. What a great story!

Photo Gallery! Goslings Of Canada Goose Hatch In Cemetery Urn

By WKBW News
    [IMG]http://media.wkbw.com/images/350*264/goose+deer+2.jpg[/IMG]
    Photo Gallery! Goslings Of Canada Goose Hatch In Cemetery Urn

Gallery
    6 photos
    April 27, 2011 Buffalo, NY ( release) – For nearly a month, the world has watched, via live webcam, as a Canada goose sat on her nest in an urn deep inside Forest Lawn – a historic, 269-acre cemetery in the heart of the city of Buffalo - patiently awaiting the arrival of her brood. The story attracted international attention when it was discovered her gander – the male goose that typically guards the nest during incubation – had “flown the coop.” Forest Lawn’s resident buck, a white-tailed deer that has lived in the cemetery for several years, gallantly took over the role of protector, spending hours each day hovering over the urn and watching out for mama and her eggs.
    Forest Lawn is pleased to announce that sometime in the early morning hours of Wednesday, April 27, 2011, seven eggs were hatched successfully! Around 4:00 p.m. EST, mama goose jumped off the urn and coaxed her goslings to the ground, where they fed on the grass near the urn before beginning their walk to the cemetery’s Mirror Lake. The deer had been near the nest all morning, but eventually wandered off and watched from a nearby hill. As the winds picked up, we think he decided to seek shelter.
    Forest Lawn is a natural habitat and provides everything wildlife needs to sustain. When it was founded in 1849, Forest Lawn was the first landscaped green space in Western New York. In fact, Frederick Law Olmsted, considered the founder of American landscape architecture and the nation's foremost parkmaker, came to study Forest Lawn before creating Buffalo’s park system.
    Today, the cemetery is one of Western New York’s most beautiful natural cultural destinations, and the deer/goose story is just one of many natural occurrences visitors enjoy when they visit Forest Lawn.
    In the near future, Forest Lawn will be announcing receipt of a major grant that will be used for the renewal of the cemetery’s unique and historic landscape, to repair damage caused by the October 2006 surprise snowstorm.
    About Forest Lawn
    As one of the first rural cemeteries in the United States, Forest Lawn – located in downtown Buffalo, NY – is at the heart of Western New York’s cultural tourism renaissance. Its first interment took place in 1849; today there are more than 160,000 permanent residents in this 269-acre, non-denominational, non-sectarian, not-for-profit cemetery. Forest Lawn offers year-round guided tours, educational programming, flag retirement ceremonies for scouts, special veteran programming and so much more. Forest Lawn is the only local full-service cemetery for traditional and cremation arrangements listed on the State and National Registries of Historic Places. For more information, visit Forest Lawn Cemetery and Crematory.
    Photo Gallery! Goslings Of Canada Goose Hatch In Cemetery Urn | WKBW News 7: News, Sports, Weather | Buffalo, NY | Local

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I love this story.

A good and faithful stag.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

love this pic

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

That is priceless.

What a beautiful and wonderful story, thank you Pippin for sharing.

Thread Information