Thread: Tsunami Surviving Dog Refuses to Leave Injured Friend Behind

Default Tsunami Surviving Dog Refuses to Leave Injured Friend Behind

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3TM9GL2iLI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
    "According to a Facebook post from Butch Japan president Kenn Sakurai, both dogs were found alive in Mito, Ibaraki by Japan Earthquake Animal Rescue and Support, and are currently being cared for at a local shelter.

It took them two hours to get the one dog to calm down enough to allow them to rescue the weaker one. One is now in shelter, the weaker one now in a vet clinic."
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

how awesome and sad at the same time. wow.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Those poor babies. Good thing they were rescued.

Another dog story:
    Two Dogs Defy the Wave

By DAISUKE WAKABAYASHI And ERIC BELLMAN

The massive tsunami destroyed most of the neighborhood in Sendai where Kayo Kikuchi and her father live. But somehow their two dogs, Towa and Melody, survived. WSJ's Daisuke Wakabayashi and Lam Thuy Vo report.

ARAHAMA, Miyagi Prefecture—When the tsunami warnings sounded after the massive earthquake that struck Japan on Friday, Masaki Kikuchi sprinted upstairs to grab his sleeping 12-year-old daughter before racing away to escape the rushing waters.
    In the backyard tied to a small shed, Mr. Kikuchi left behind two dogs: Towa, a two-year-old Sheltie and Melody, a one-year-old Golden Retriever. Mr. Kikuchi assumed the giant tsunami that flattened his neighbors' homes and whisked away their cars probably killed Towa and Melody too.

Koya Kikuchi, the 20-year-old daughter of Mr. Kikuchi, was riding the bus home from her job at a local restaurant. When the earthquake struck, a power line fell in front of the bus and passengers started filing out.
    She rushed to her cousin's house, which was nearby. She asked her cousin to drive her back home because she wanted to go save the dogs that she had begged her father to get. Within a half-mile of her home, police stopped the car. They told Ms. Kikuchi that a tsunami was coming and she could not go any farther.

"I told my cousin that I was going to walk. She told me that I would die if I went," said Ms. Kikuchi. "I was crushed. I thought they were dead."
    But Towa and Melody had other ideas. They somehow broke free from the ropes tying them to the shed and ran up outdoor stairs to the second floor of Mr. Kikuchi's house. And then they waited and waited. "I don't know how they survived," said Mr. Kikuchi.

Two days after the earthquake, Mr. Kikuchi ventured out from the evacuation center where his family had reunited unharmed. He walked in rubber boots on the debris-covered roads still covered in floodwater with his feet sinking in the thick mud below.

When he finally got to the house, sidestepping a car that had shifted to block the entrance to the driveway, he could hear the barking.

"I was happy to see them because I had felt badly about leaving them behind," said Mr. Kikuchi. He gave them water, food and brought them inside after cleaning them up.

Mr. Kikuchi knew that his daughter Kayo would want to see Towa and Melody, so on Monday the two of them set out to make the same journey across roads covered in thick mud. "This is where I would walk them everyday," she said.

Looking to her left, there is the roof on a flattened home sitting in the middle of what had been one of Japan's immaculately manicured rice patties.

Her father, wearing a helmet and one-piece jumpsuit from his construction company, walks ahead carrying a red canister in a red Hello Kitty roll-away bag. He said he wants to see if any of the cars have gasoline, which is in short supply in the Sendai area with lines extending for hours.

"Don't slip to the right, because you'll sink and we won't be able to get you out," Mr. Kikuchi said. He pointed out the chest-high water-level marks: "It came all the way up to here."

"I've lived here my whole life, all 49 years, and this is not something I could have ever imagined," said Mr. Kikuchi, climbing mounds of debris while thick mud covered the roads.

On the beaches of Arahama, not far from where the Kikuchi family lives, 200 to 300 bodies were discovered in the days following the tsunami.
    Mr. Kikuchi said the earthquake knocked out the power instantly so many people didn't know a tsunami, which arrived 40 minutes after the earthquake, was coming. His immediate neighborhood of 160 homes was spared the heaviest damage.

The Kikuchi family home was turned completely upside down with plates, food and utensils lying in an inch of muddy water on the kitchen floor. He said just down the road, many people died. Luckily, he said, a local elementary school withstood the tsunami and 400 people including the students were evacuated by helicopter.

As soon as Ms. Kikuchi entered the driveway, Towa jumped up and started scratching at the door. She opened the door and the Sheltie with fur still dotted with mud jumped up on Ms. Kikuchi's leg. Melody, who is more reserved, barked excitedly from inside.

"I bet they pooped a lot," shouted Mr. Kikuchi to her daughter who quietly cleaned up after the dogs.

Ms. Kikuchi, her face still red with excitement, said she was so happy to see the dogs, a bit of good news in an otherwise tragic event. "When my father told me they were alive, I was so excited," she said. "It's been so stressful. It's so good to see them"

Mr. Kikuchi and his daughter said they will come back every day to look after the dogs, but they are not going to bring the dogs to the shelter.
    "There are lots of people dead and it's too much to ask to bring the dogs," said Mr. Kikuchi. "It would be inconsiderate to other people's sadness."

Two Dogs Defy the Wave - WSJ.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those dogs in the video-how heart breaking. You can tell be thier collars they were so well loved. I hope the owners are able to find them.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

both stories with positive endings, so heart wrenching. These 2 stories sound so much like what my 2 dogs would do.

Those poor babies! I'm so happy they're saved but I can't imagine how many others are out there

I lost it when he put his paw over the other pooch's head. So glad they both made it.

So glad to hear they're alright

poor things
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Found a translation of the voices in the video.

"The Japanese voiceover in the clip roughly translates as: 'We are in Arahama area. Looks like there is a dog... he looks tired and dirty.
    'He has a silver collar. He is shaking. He seems very afraid. Oh, there is another dog. I wonder if he is dead... he is not moving. I wonder if he is alright.
    'The dog is protecting him... I can't watch this. This is a very difficult to watch.
    'Oh. Look. He is moving. He is alive. I am so happy to see that he is alive.
    Yes! Yes! He is alive. He looks to be weakened. We need to them to be rescued soon.

'It is amazing how they survived the tremendous earthquake and tsunami. It's just amazing that they survived through this all.'"

Thread Information