Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Lonely whale's terrible karaoke songs drive the ladies away

Unhappy Lonely whale's terrible karaoke songs drive the ladies away

On their most recent episode of their always-enjoyable Dinner Party Download podcast, American Public Media's Rico Gagliano and Brendan Newnam featured the story of "a lonely whale with vocal problems whose love song supposedly chases lady whales away."

According to a 2004 New York Times article on the subject, this particular baleen whale has apparently been tracked by NOAA since 1992, using a "classified array of hydrophones employed by the Navy to monitor enemy submarines." It sings at 52 Hertz, which is roughly the same frequency as the lowest note on a tuba, and much higher than its fellow whales, whose calls fall in the 15 to 25 Hertz range.

To make matters worse, the high-pitched whale "does not follow the known migration route of any extant baleen whale species." The result, according to Dr. Kate Stafford, a researcher at the National Marine Mammal Laboratory in Seattle, is that the lonely whale keeps "saying 'Hey, I'm out here,'" but "nobody is phoning home."

The cryptozoologist Oll Lewis speculates that the lonely whale might be "a deformed hybrid between two different species of whale," or even "the last surviving member of an unknown species." Gagliano points out that the whale's plight, though poignant, has a silver lining for scientists:

Because this one whale’s song is totally different than any other whale’s, it’s easy to track it and hear how its voice changes over time. So now we know, for instance, that a whale’s voice gets deeper as it ages.

You can hear the 52 Hertz whale's song for yourself, here, and learn more about its lonely life over at the Dinner Party Download site. Just imagine that massive mammal, floating alone and singing—too big to connect with most of the beings it passes, feeling paradoxically small in the vast stretches of empty, open ocean.

The Loneliest Whale in the World - Culture - GOOD
    awwww
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

"I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Poor guy! Just becuase he made that whale song his own.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

So he's been alone for like 20 years? Are they kidding me? Couldn't scientists do anything to help him? The poor thing

Jebus! Now I'm all sad and shit.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I know, that poor whale! Get me down there, I'll do bad karaoke with him so he won't feel so alone.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    So he's been alone for like 20 years? Are they kidding me? Couldn't scientists do anything to help him? The poor thing
    You would think.

I read somewhere they don't interfere in order not to mess up the order of
    things.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
    You would think.

things.
    That is so fucked up, humans mess up the order of things (to the detriment of lots of animal species) all the time, but they can't help this whale because they don't want to interfere? Unbelievable!!

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
    You would think.

things.
    WTF? So the order of things is to let a sentient being suffer without any help while they observe it? Reminds me of those nature documentaries I would watch as a kid when they would do stuff like follow tigers and their cubs and follow a lost cub filming in sadistic detail until it died. I'm still traumatised from those fucking documentaries!!!!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    WTF? So the order of things is to let a sentient being suffer without any help while they observe it? Reminds me of those nature documentaries I would watch as a kid when they would do stuff like follow tigers and their cubs and follow a lost cub filming in sadistic detail until it died. I'm still traumatised from those fucking documentaries!!!!
    I remember those. Some of them were downright sadistic to watch. The one I distinctly remember, was them showing a seal hunter, clubbing a baby seal to death, from beginning to end.

For the whale. That's really kind of sad. Maybe there's a deaf one out there for him or something, that can't hear his song.

that's too sad I hope he finds a tone deaf ladyfriend someday soon.

And fuck those scientists for not helping him!
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Thread Information