Thread: Cataracts in dogs

Bronze Member

Default Cataracts in dogs

Ok so we found out my 10 year old dog, Frisco, has cataracts. We can't afford the surgery to have them fixed. I don't know what all he is going through. What should we expect from him? Should we make any changes in our furniture arrangement to accommidate him? Please help. He doesn't have many yrs left in his life and I want him as happy and comfortable as possible. Thank you.

HI, my dog has had cataracts for years and no longer has any vision. It was very gradual, at first he didn't want to play fetch or jump up in the car. Eventually he got better at better and maneuvering around the house and doesn't bump into things anymore unless he is totally excited.

I would suggest moving things to accommodate him, but don't move things around drastically. They tend to memorize the layout and go by light and dark. It'll take more time for you to adjust than he will, animal adapt so quickly.

things to watch out for are rubbing eyes, tearing or any excess watering. These can be signs of glaucoma, which in animal world is treated as an emergency. Is your dog's cataracts immature right now? In both eyes?

Bronze Member

I don't know what immature is. But it is in both eyes. Some days he seems to be doing well and other days I can tell he isn't focusing like he should be.

My dog had them and she was fine. Our vet told us that anyone and anything that lives long enough will eventually develop cataracts. She started developing changes in her eyes around the age of 7. I forget what they called it (it looks like cataracts but it's not). Even though they say this condition is not related to cataracts, my vet said that almost every dog that has this condition eventually develops cataracts. Your doggie should be OK for a few years.

Bronze Member

Makes me feel so much better. He is such a good boy, and I just want him happy. Thanks everyone.

My dog had cataracts for years and although they did get quite bad towards the end, she had a good few years without too many probs.

As others have said, she seemed to memorise the layout of rooms and furniture etc and managed to get around ok - I guess consistency was the key to that. Always keep food/water bowls in the same place etc. My vet also told me that she would be relying on her sense of smell a lot more (she went deaf when she got really old!) and that we should be really tactile with her - petting her a lot so that she knew we were there and didn't feel too alone etc. We made a real effort with this, especially when arriving home after being out. He also advised holding new objects to her nose so that she could familiarise herself with the smell.
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Quote Originally Posted by roslyntaberfan View Post
    He also advised holding new objects to her nose so that she could familiarise herself with the smell.
    good point.

Immature just means if they are just starting to develop, so there is still some vision left. Then there is mature, and hyper-mature where there is no vision left at all.

My boy just lost an eye to glaucoma this fall, and the other eye has hypermature cataracts, so he is totally blind. He has adapted amazingly well to it, but I have noticed he is more introverted lately.

Thread Information