Thread: Rescued Bolivian Circus Lions Arrive In Colorado

Default Rescued Bolivian Circus Lions Arrive In Colorado

Twenty-five rescued Bolivian lions who were flown to the U.S. for a new start received quite the welcome when they were unloaded from a plane in Colorado yesterday to yells of 'Come on down!'
    On hand to greet big cats, most of who were given salvation from circuses in the South American country, was former The Price Is Right host Bob Barker, renowned for the popular catchphrase.
    As the first caged animal was moved off the plane, Barker yelled, 'Lion No. 1, come on down,' mimicking the way contestants were introduced on his game show.

Nervous flyer: Fida, who was saved from a travelling circus, looks petrified while waiting at an airport in Santa Cruz, Bolivia

Now boarding: A Bolivian army officer walks among the cages of the rescued lions before they are loaded onto a plane to America

Thirsty: One of 25 lions rescued from Bolivian circuses gets a drink of water in its shipping crate after landing in Denver, Colarado

The 14 males and 11 females landed at Denver International Airport in the afternoon and were then unloaded into a maintenance hangar where police officers armed with assault rifles stood by as a precaution.
    The lions were saved from deplorable conditions after a law was passed last year in Bolivia prohibiting all performances involving animals, Animal Defenders International said.
    Most of the lions were dehydrated and suffered from eye and foot infections when rescued, the group has said.

Bumpy flight: A lion roars at Animal Defenders International vice president Tim Phillips after landing in Denver yesterday

Loading up: The special containers are prepared to be moved onto an airplane at Viru Viru airport in Santa Cruz

Cheers: CSI actress Jorja Fox and former The Price Is Right host Bob Barker were at the Denver airport awaiting the arrival of the rescued animals. As the first caged lion was moved off the plane, Barker yelled, 'Lion No. 1, come on down,' mimicking the way contestants were introduced on his game show

Barker, who is a keen animal advocate, helped finance the $200,000 airlift.
    He was on hand to welcome Operation Lion Ark and said he was excited to see the animals headed to a sanctuary where they will have room to roam.
    'They will be the happiest little babies you ever met,' Barker told reporters.
    Barker said he hopes someday no circuses will have animal acts.

Former life: Two of the lions who were given salvation from captivity in Bolivia are seen in cages in Santa Cruz

Captivity: The big cats, seen here held in tiny cages in Santa Cruz, will now live at a wildlife sanctuary in Colorado

While three cubs were in one cage with their mother, the rest travelled in their own cages, accompanied by a veterinarian.
    Before leaving Santa Cruz, Bolivia, they were given sleep medication.
    The lions will now be trucked to their new home at the Wildlife Sanctuary in Keenesburg, about 35 miles north-east of Denver.
    A 15,000sq ft biosphere was built to help them adjust to the chillier climate.
    The sanctuary is already home to about 270 wild animals, including lions, tigers, bears and wolves.

Landed safely: Airport staff in a United Airlines hangar in Denver unload the animals

Read more: Bob Barker greets 25 rescued lions flown from Bolivia to U.S. | Mail Online

always happy to see animal lovers take action

Good ole Bob Barker. That man has truly given every thing he can for animal welfare.
    Those lions will be so happy now.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thank god they were rescued.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Beautiful story, cant wait to see an update on their new home. I was just thinking Bob and Betty White would make an awesome duo!

I'm very happy about this. The Wildlife Sanctuary is the charity my firm supports.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I wonder if they were spayed and neutered
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

what a great story, lucky lions!! I just love Bob Barker, he is a treasure.

Kudos to Bob Barker. What a wonderful thing to do. Saw video of these beautiful creatures being kicked and smacked last night on TV by their former owners; it broke my heart.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

thats fantastic! those lions look awesome

Thread Information