Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Lucy, 39, the oldest cat in the world?‎

Default Is Lucy, 39, the oldest cat in the world?‎

A family has discovered their cat is the oldest in the world after reaching its 39th birthday.
    Pet Lucy was born way back in 1972 when Ted Heath was Prime Minister and petrol was 33p a gallon.
    Cat experts say she has clocked up the equivalent of 172 human years - and cats live to be about 15 on average which means Lucy has more than doubled her life expectancy.
    Lucy is still fit as a fiddle - and catches mice in the garden. Owner Bill Thomas, 63, inherited Lucy when his wife's Godmother Maria Lewis died in 1999.

Deaf but happy: Lucy, a 39-year-old cat from Llanelli, South Wales is believed to be the oldest cat in the world after a visiting aunt remembered her as a kitten in 1972

But it was only when an elderly aunt came to visit that he realised Lucy was a record breaker.
    He said: 'My aunt saw the cat and could not believe her eyes.
    'She could remember Lucy scampering around maria's fish and chip shop when she was a kitten back in 1972. We knew she was old - but not that old.'
    Town councillor Bill, of Llanelli, South Wales, took Lucy to the vet who was amazed by the cat's long life. Bill said: 'The vet said she was very old but it was not possible to give us an exact age.

'Great with the grandchildren': Lucy with Ethan Thomas, aged 6. Cat experts say Lucy has clocked up the equivalent of 172 human years

'Lucy has gone deaf but apart from that she is in good shape and extremely independent.
    'She is great with the grandchildren and still likes to patrol the garden every day looking for mice.' Until now the world's oldest recorded cat was a pet called Creme Puff from Texas, USA, which lived for 38 years and three days.

Bill said: 'We have researched Lucy's past and found she was born in Thomas Street, Llanelli in 1972.
    He said: 'We have spoken to other people who can verify seeing her in the fish and chip shop in the early seventies.
    'She appears to be the genuine article.' A spokesman for Guinness World Records said there was no entry for the world's oldest cat.

Read more: Can Lucy, 39, really be the oldest cat in the world? | Mail Online

A 39-year-old cat? No way. She looks like she's in great health. I've never heard of a cat or dog living this long.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Maybe the elderly aunt was a little wrong. It would be awesome if they did live that long.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Maybe the elderly aunt was a little wrong.
    Sometimes they're talking about an earlier cat that may have looked the same, or even had the same name, and maybe not even realised that the other cat died and was replaced later. But I hope this is true too. She certainly looks curmudgeonly enough to have lived that long.

I personally knew a 21 year old cat. Think she made it almost to 22, but her owners adored her. RIP Shadow.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My Kitty made it to 18, but I can not see how it is possible that this pus is 39 years old.

Like another poster mentioned. I am sure it is a different cat than the one being remembered in 1972.

My oldest cat was 19 when she passed away; I was on a plane once with a woman who had her 25-year-old cat in a carrier on the seat next to her. Said she couldn't leave it at home anymore. But 39? If that cat were 39, it would look way more grizzled than it does - more along the lines of Bill the Cat.

- Mark Twain

My friend just lost her cat last year, and it was 21 years and 10 months old. That was a really old cat.

Hard to believe this is the same cat and it is 39 years old.

My in-laws had a cat they got when my husband was in junior high and it recently passed away (my husband is mid-40's) so it was creeping up on 25 years old.
    I don't believe this cat is 39 though.

No way, that cat doesn't look too old to me. It would be cool if this were true but it seems so far-fetched. My cat died at 17 after a few years of deteriorating health, she was very skinny in her last years and this cat is not. A family friend had a cat that was about 23 or 24 a few years ago, it had severe cataracts in both eyes and never left the one little room it had it's litterbox and bed in.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

why does this make me laugh? cats crack me up i guess

I call BS. My bff's mom's cat lived to 23 and she was extremely rickety by then.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

In human years, that cat would be the equivalent of 273 years old.

- Mark Twain

I have two cats and I hope this is true. One is eight and the others age is unknown but I've had it for seven years. They're like my kids

I have four cats, 19, 18, 15 and 11 and I have to say my two oldest don't look anywhere as "youthful" as that cat does, and neither of my cats are frail or sickly, either.

At the rate my cats are going, they might outlive me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information