Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting a kitten for Xmas..any advice?

Default Getting a kitten for Xmas..any advice?

Gee, maybe I should have put this in the Random Advice section!

So yea, looks like we are getting the kids a kitten for Xmas. Someone my husband works with found a bunch in the snow (nice) and is trying to find homes. We have an adult cat (6 yrs old who has her claws) that we adopted 2 yrs ago, she was already 'big'. It's been literally 20 yrs since I have had a kitten so I am a bit nervous about it.....not sure why though. I know they are an absolute riot but can raise hell too. We just got new furniture so I am a bit concerned about that aspect, w/scratching and all.

Anyone have any good advice or is there anything I should be warned about?

Can't wait to hear the name the girls come up with...probably be a real doozy.

YAY KITTENS!!

My mom currently has two brother kittens at her house and everytime I go over there she says, "You'd think I have 10 kids living with me the way they trash the place." We always have kittens, wether we've adopted them or we found them and are trying to find a good home for them.
    Does your big kitty scratch things? What has worked with her? If she has a scratching post the kitten will most likely mock the older cat and use that, squirt bottles are always fun to deter bad behavior also, lol

The biggest thing we always come across is the litter box being too tall for the little guys and they can't hop in, also don't be afraid to shut the little one in a room by themselves overnight if they're a little too "playful" at night.

Post pictures ASAP!!!
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

The only advice I'd give would be to make sure that you lavish plenty of love on your older cat once the kitten arrives. It'll be tempting to spend every spare second fussing and smooching and playing with the new kitten but Boss Cat will also need to feel loved and reassured so you have less chance of jealousy fights.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Can we see pictures?

My advice would be to get her/him declawed. We had tons of new woodwork and furniture ruined by a young cat.

Declawing is pretty extreme when there are other methods of taming a cat to not scratch. Declawing would make the cat completely defenseless if it were to ever get out and get lost, it really isn't a necessary step and if you feel it is then you probably shouldn't have a cat imo.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

^^^
    this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Not if you just do the front claws. But our cat is an inside cat, it never goes out.

Declawing is a really extreme answer to a *possible* issue, and it should be considered seriously. The process involves amputating the "toes" or the first knuckle/claw.
    Imagine cutting your fingers off at the first knuckle. Gruesome.

Your kitty is going to scratch,b/c it's a natural behavior, so get her scratching posts, tall ones for when they like to strech and flat ones too. Also keep the nails trimmed.

cats are territorial, so maybe keep the new kitty confined to a room for a few days or so and let your older cat come and go into the kitty room as they please.

Your other kitty is 2? So the adjustment shouldn't be too bad. Good luck!

I don't know of this helps but my sissy adopted 2 found tiny kittens (and cares for their now nutered mama and 5 other ferals, who actually go in and out of their house daily) and she has never had the slightest problem with scratching. They do have a scratching post, but that is all. I would wait & see.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I am a crazy cat lady (not quite, but close!). I have six cats. Make sure they have a clean litter box, lots of toys and a warm bed. Even if it will be strictly indoors, I am completely against de-clawing (ymmv). Get some scratching poles, maybe scented with cat nip.

Also--get some Boundaries (sold at PetSmart). It truly does help cats stay away from furniture, for clawing or peeing.

And last, but certainly not least, love it and play with it and hug it and call it George!

^^^^ All of my life I have wanted to adopt two kittens or cats and name them George (from Bugs Bunny) and Ringo..just because. Maybe I can talk the girls into naming the little one George!

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how it goes. Don't have her yet but hoping to in the next wk or so.

Kitties!!

Don't forget to shower your 6 year old cat with love and attention after you get the kitten, he/she will feel replaced, ignored, etc so make sure you make them feel special. A scratching post is a good idea. Buy lots of yarn for the kitty to play with! Soooooo jealous of you, Lynnie. Please post lots of pics and updates.

Awww, if you take two, you can name them George and Ringo.
    And 2 kittens have much more fun with each other, chasing and playing and wearing each other out.
    As for scratching, you can get nail covers at the vet, or you can train them to have their nails trimmed once a week. Works fine for us and doesn't upset them because they are used to it.
    I hope you'll post pics.

i gotta disagree with getting them declawed. A friend of mine had her cat declawed, and it got out and got into a fight with another cat. She could couldn't defend herself, and got her ass kicked badly.

i've owned many cats over the years and have never had a problem with them clawing the furniture. we learned from a vet that if you put something citrus smelling near the area they claw, it will deter them. Its always worked. but do get a scratching post.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information