Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: My cat has verbal diarrhoea

Default My cat has verbal diarrhoea

Any suggestions on how to shut up a very talkative cat? He talks ALL the time. It doesn't really bother me during the day, but at night he wanders all over the house talking very loudly, and he makes a strange sort of strangled pigeon sound interspersed with loud yowls, which can be quite jarring in the middle of the night. He doesn't even have to come into the bedroom, I can hear him from the other end of the house. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it - if I get up and go to the bathroom after I've been woken up by him, he'll either go to his food bowl and start eating, roll on his back for a tummy tickle or just sit and look at me. Sometimes he wants to play but mostly he just wants to chat.

We have another cat and they don't get on very well but they tolerate each other most of the time. I've read that cats don't miaow at other cats, just at humans, so I'm thinking he's probably talking to me rather than bitching at her. Hubby of course sleeps through the lot and wonders why I'm always so tired. I guess the simplest explanation is he just wants attention, but can a cat really be that needy all the time?

are your cats house cats or are they allowed to go outside? I saw this with cats that weren't allowed to go outside. I think it was out of boredom but I don't know for sure...

Is there a possibility to let him out over night?

They're strictly indoors at night (we have a big tree with lots of native birds nesting in our yard) and I don't want them roaming the streets and getting run over. But they have plenty of supervised outdoor time during the day. They also have lots of different toys and they get at least half an hour a day of playtime, where I drag ribbons around for them to chase or toys on strings with bells etc. The little girl cat is very placid and quiet, but the boy is the noisy one. He seems to like company so I'm thinking he just gets lonely after we go to bed.

It is possible that he gets lonely at night. Every cat is so different. My boyfriend's cat always wants to go out at night and will sleep almost the whole day through in our flat. His first cat was the other way round.

Did he suddenly start keeping you awake in the night? Is he neutered?

My cat, Preston - the love of my life, also has serious verbal diarreah. He just always has something to say, especially if you're talking to him. He's good at night, but when it gets really bad is when I'm in the shower, idk what it is but he howls and cries and carries on when I'm showering and when I get out of the shower until he can go through his routine of getting on the sink and getting in the tub to splash around in the water that's still draining.

Cats are strange creatures...
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Some cats are just talkers. One of mine meows so much I'd think something was wrong if she were quiet. Her original name was "Sabrina", but after about a week we changed it to "Meow Meow". She's always following me around chatting me up, I think it's adorable.

Does your boy have any Siamese in him? I hear they tend to be extra vocal.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Does your boy have any Siamese in him? I hear they tend to be extra vocal.
    No he's just a standard moggy. I had a Burmese once who was a bit of a talker too, but nowhere near as bad as my boy now. He's got a bit of a pinhead (or it might just be his fat bum makes his head look small) so he could have a touch of Burmese or some other sleek breed in him.

I love that he talks to me with his strange pigeon meow, it's just I wish he would keep quiet at night when I'm trying to sleep. I'm turning into a crazy cat lady because when a cat talks that much, you find yourself answering. He's actually very good company. He's a really sweet and affectionate boy.

Omg, I have the same problem with one of my cats. I have gotten out of bed in the middle of the night to chase around the house to get her to shut up. She is the best cat I have ever had because she is so quirky, but man does she make me crazy when I'm trying to sleep.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

one of our cats meows so loud and so often, because he can't see where we are at.

is your cat fixed? i know before we had any of our cats fixed (male or female) they would meow the oddest meow. One of them yelled 'Ohhhhhhh NOoooooo' lol
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    is your cat fixed? i know before we had any of our cats fixed (male or female) they would meow the oddest meow. One of them yelled 'Ohhhhhhh NOoooooo' lol
    Yep they're both fixed, both shelter kitties so they were neutered when we got them. Which I'm told explains his giant lard arse.

He's also a big licker - he'll roll around on my feet and lick my toes, and loves to lick my legs after I get out of the shower and put alpha keri oil on (which I'm sure is really bad for him). I don't let him lick anywhere else but I catch hubby sitting on the couch with the cat sitting up behind him licking the top of his head, which I think is gross but hilarious.

Has he always been a talker or just recently?

My Kitty, RIP, became very vocal in the 6 months prior to passing. She was old and loosing her senses and would howl out of confusion.

I have a couple of cats (both male, both fixed) who just walk around the house and talk. One of my females, Tasha, likes to roam about the house with a large fluffy ball in her mouth while howling about something (otherwise, she never utters anything). They're cats - there's no logic involved.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Froogy View Post
    Has he always been a talker or just recently?

My Kitty, RIP, became very vocal in the 6 months prior to passing. She was old and loosing her senses and would howl out of confusion.
    Thankfully he's always been a talker, otherwise you'd have had me worried! He's only 4 and very healthy so I'm hoping he's got a lot of life in him yet. We actually got him when he was close to a year old, he'd been a stray found as a kitten in someone's backyard and was saved from being euthanased at the 11th hour (just writing this sends a chill down my spine) and lived in various foster homes until he came to us. He was very frightened for the first 2 weeks but even then he was quite vocal, and once he settled in he started chatting and hasn't stopped.

I'm playing with him right now, hoping he'll tire out and sleep through the night.

Some it is probably genetic as well. My Samantha chirps when I walk by just to let me know she's there and it's kind of a "pet me before you pass, slave" request. My friend who owned her mother said that the mom cat did the same thing.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Some it is probably genetic as well. My Samantha chirps when I walk by just to let me know she's there and it's kind of a "pet me before you pass, slave" request. My friend who owned her mother said that the mom cat did the same thing.

rofl
    As opposed to the, "I'm going to weave in and out of your legs until you awknowledge me" move?
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information