Thread: Rachael Ray donates $775,000 to pets in need

Thumbs up Rachael Ray donates $775,000 to pets in need

Rachael Ray Donates $775,000 to Pets in Need
    By Kate Hogan

Tuesday November 23, 2010 07:25 AM EST

Henry S. Dziekan III/Getty

You'd normally find Rachael Ray in the kitchen, whipping up one of her favorite delicious dishes for a studio audience. But at the moment, the TV chef is catering to a different crowd: needy pets.

This holiday season, Ray is donating 100 percent of proceeds from her Nutrish and Just 6 pet food and treat lines to animal shelters nationwide, giving away a total of $775,000 before Dec. 31.

"If you want to look at the state of humans, you should look at the state of animals first," Ray tells PEOPLE.com. "People are choosing whether or not they can feed an animal and their family. And every shelter coast-to-coast is stuffed."

Currently on the road to promote her newest cookbook, Look + Cook, Ray is also sponsoring pop-up adoption events for the shelters she's supporting in the hopes of raising awareness for her cause. "We only give to no-kill shelters," she says. "But we give to small and large; no one's excluded. We want to keep as many animals alive as possible."

Ray, mom to pit bull pup Isaboo, started her charitable giving in 2008 as a way to help all the animals she couldn't physically save.

"My husband and I can sleep at night knowing that our small space is probably wrong for a lot of animals, but we can maybe inspire people [who have space] to bring a lot of animals home," she says. "It's us trying to problem-solve that very discussion, 'Why can't we do more?' "

Instead of asking famous friends to donate, Ray decided to develop her food and treat lines (with the help of Ainsworth Pet Nutrition) and give away her own take from it. "It's a constant stream of income, and a source of relief for people that are exhausted, trying to care for their own families and care for animals," she says.

For those who'd like to help, but can't necessarily adopt an animal of their own, Ray suggests starting small. "When you're out grocery shopping for your family, maybe you can put a can of cat or dog food in your cart and bring it to an animal relief center," she says. "Maybe you can take your kids by [a shelter] and have them donate something basic. If you can give one or two dollars, or even 10 dollars, to charity, it's a great step."

For more information, visit Rachael Ray's Official Website :: Rachael's Rescue.
    Rachael Ray Animal Shelter Donation : People.com

This broad just went way up in my book.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Rachael Ray Animal Shelter Donation : People.com

This broad just went way up in my book.
    ME TOO!!

Course, she should. Given that her Izzaboo bit off a tiny doggy's ear. Think it was a Yorkie. No warning, just chomp!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

That's an odd amount. Why not a half million or a million. Bitch just likes being contrary.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Good on her.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I may just start watching her show again.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Me 3!! A lot of other celebrities seem to only be interested in human charities, so nice to hear about a celeb who cares about animals.

That's a lot of late night bacon.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

that is so awesome of her or anyone to donate anything to these shelters, no-kill specifically. They are all over crowded in los angeles I've come to find out through rescuing three kittens from the street a few weeks back and its just awful. They depend on donations and the men and mostly women who devote their lives to these animals w/o voices leave me speechless.

What about the people in need?? lol j/k

Very nice.
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ no i know i completely agree; its even more painful, especially these last few freezing weeks in L.A. where the nights are so cold; it makes me sick knowing there are people living on the streets during it and on the news they keep saying how all the shelters are doing so bad w/ more people and less donations/space to give. thats why people who devote their lives to charity and giving leave me speechless b/c im too selfish to give like that. all I give is to donation centers when I clean out my apartment every couple of months. and then to think of all the shit i buy myself, etc., why it makes me sick too.

it can be an ugly world, but there is beauty to in certain people and animals as I've discovered recently.

Thread Information