Thread: Pedigree dog has 'extreme' facelift'

Default Pedigree dog has 'extreme' facelift'

Squint no more: Pedigree dog has 'extreme' facelift' that allows her to open her eyes and see for the first time

Barely able to see through squinted eyes that would turn Clint Eastwood green with envy, this dog's chiselled expression hides a serious condition.
    Over-breeding has left Molly the pedigree Shar Pei with a painful disease which left her unable to see and, if left untreated, could have caused permanent blindness.
    That was, until she underwent an 'extreme' facelift.

Before the operation: Over-breeding Molly, a pedigree Shar Pei, with a painful disease which left her unable to see and, if left untreated, could have caused permanent blindness

Molly, 12 months, was unable to see since birth because she suffered from a entropion, a congenital disease which causes folds of skin to rub against the eye.

Her owner Louise Walsh, from Romford in Essex, said: 'When I first got her all she did was sleep because she was in so much pain.

'Now she is so happy all the time - playing, exploring and she loves chasing crows.

'She's such a wonderful dog. She loves people and is very affectionate.'
    Molly's life was turned around by vet Richard Marks, from the Goddard Veterinary Group in Gidea Park, Essex, who carried out vital surgery to let her see again.

He said: 'What I essentially did was give her an extreme facelift. I removed a large piece of skin and stitched the remaining skin to the back of her head.

'It may sound extreme but if left much longer she would have been totally blinded.'

After the operation: Molly can now see for the world for the first time after undergoing an 'extreme' facelift

The vet blasted the over-breeding which led to Molly suffering from one of the worst cases of the entropion he had ever seen.

Mr Marks said: 'Molly is a result of very bad breeding between dogs that are essentially diseased.

'Molly was bred to satisfy a certain criteria on what they think a dog should look like rather than its health.'

Ms Walsh bought Molly for £500 just last month, but has already shelled out £720 in vet bills.

She now plans to sue the owners, from Wales, who sold her the pet, claiming they were not honest about her state of health.

She said: 'I'm very angry. It's not about the money, it's the fact they were dishonest.

'How could they let Molly go through a year of pain without doing anything?'

A row erupted two years ago about the over-breeding of pedigree dogs following a BBC documentary that exposed health problems among some of the most extreme cases.

The Shar Pei was among 12 breeds documentary makers demanded be dropped from Crufts as a condition for continuing to air the celebrated dog show. The demands were not met by the Kennel Club.

Shar Peis, also known as the Chinese wrinkle dog, and can be traced back to the Guangdong province of China.

Read more: Pedigree dog has 'extreme' facelift that allows her to open her eyes and see for the first time | Mail Online

What Shar Pei's looked like before people started breeding them for excessive wrinkliness:

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^^^Unbelievable. Breeders have completely changed their original appearance and caused a lot of suffering for the dogs. There is a breed called "Traditional Shar Pei" and hopefully they will be successful in bringing back the health and appearance of the original dog, like the one Twitchy posted.

Really sad little documentary on pedigree dogs and their health problems. Just the changes in physical appearance alone are startling. Documentary - BBC - Pedigree Dogs Exposed Video by bordercollie19 - MySpace Video

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Poor darling.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

While reading the article, i said to myself this is from the Daily Mail..

Poor puppy!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Poor doggy. How cruel that breeders do this all in the name of greed. I just want to give her a big hug and kiss. (the dog, that is.)
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

correct me if i'm wrong but i think shar peis are only supposed to have the extreme wrinkles when they're puppies, and as they grow up they lose a lot of it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information