Thread: Meet Sticky, the kitten who was saved from a rat-catching glue trap

Default Meet Sticky, the kitten who was saved from a rat-catching glue trap

This unlucky kitten found itself in a sticky situation after it became ensnared in a glue trap that had been set to catch rats.
    The adorable tabby was found covered in glue and debris after she had become stuck in the indiscriminate trap.
    The 12-week old moggy was found in an agitated state outside a house in Sparkill, Birmingham and had to be shaved in order to remove the glue.

The stray kitten needed to be shaved in order to remove the glue from the sticky rat trap

But vets in Halesowen, West Midlands, have so far been unable to remove all the glue from underneath her legs and paws.
    The kitten, who has been named Sticky, now has a cone collar placed around her neck and is in the care of the RSPCA in Coventry.
    She is receiving regular baths in a bid to remove the remaining glue from her fur.

Staff at the Coventry RSPCA centre have dubbed the kitten 'Sticky'

RSPCA Animal Welfare Officer Boris Lasserre said: 'This kitten has suffered as a result of the irresponsible and inhumane use of traps.'
    'Like snares and most pest control equipment, glue traps are indiscriminate. We are regularly alerted to incidents of non-target species being caught in snares and traps.'
    'With glue traps wild birds often become trapped and due to their delicate feathers they normally cannot be saved.'
    'Such traps are easily purchased but as with all traps can cause suffering and pain to animals.'
    'I would urge anyone setting traps to check them regularly and consider the consequences for wild birds and other animals if using them.'
    The RSPCA have identified who was responsible for setting the trap and the remaining traps have now been removed from Nansen Road, Sparkhill.
    Sticky is one of 30 other kittens being cared for at the Coventry RSPCA centre.
    The animal home is also looking for people interested in rehoming Sticky or any of her furry friends.
    Glue traps are strips of plastic or cardboard which are coated in a powerful adhesive. They are left where rodents are likely to run, and when an animal crosses the board it becomes stuck by its feet or fur.
    The RSPCA say: 'We are opposed to the manufacture, sale and use of any trap that causes suffering to animals, and are concerned about the use of glue traps against rodents because of the suffering they cause.'
    There is currently no specific legislation governing the sale or use of glue traps, although there are aspects of existing wildlife legislation that can be relevant.
    Anyone who comes across and animal suffering in a trap or snare should call the RSPCA cruelty and advice line on 0300 1234 999.

Read more: Meet Sticky, the kitten who was saved from a rat-catching glue trap | Mail Online

Glue traps are evil

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Poor little baby.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Standing outside a KFC defending the Colonel

So basically it's not OK to glue trap kittens but it is OK to glue trap rats?
    It seems like what is inhumane for one kind of animal ought to be inhumane for another. A bad death is a bad death, no matter if you are a kitten or a rat. Just saying
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them. - George W. Bush

Elite Member

Poor kitty. I've never heard of glue traps before, they seem awful though (even for rats). And the poor thing is in a cone. We had a cat that had to wear one for a couple weeks after a fairly big surgery. He was so miserable in that thing, especially when he was giving himself a bath, poor thing kept licking the cone.

Glue traps are a slow and terrifying way for an animal to die. They get stuck in the glue and thrash about in total panic and fear desperately trying to free themselves. If they're lucky, they'll get the glue onto their face and suffocate sooner than later, sparing themselves some of the time spent in terror.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Little Goon View Post
    So basically it's not OK to glue trap kittens but it is OK to glue trap rats?
    It seems like what is inhumane for one kind of animal ought to be inhumane for another. A bad death is a bad death, no matter if you are a kitten or a rat. Just saying
    i hate rats. so the only good rat, to me, is one stuck in a glue trap. And i hate glue traps.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Glue traps should be illegal, along with snares and those awful metal traps.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Glue traps are a slow and terrifying way for an animal to die. They get stuck in the glue and thrash about in total panic and fear desperately trying to free themselves. If they're lucky, they'll get the glue onto their face and suffocate sooner than later, sparing themselves some of the time spent in terror.
    They really are. I came in to work one Monday morning and discovered that a field mouse had become stuck to one of the traps under my cubicle wall. I didn't even know they were being used in the office until I made the gruesome discovery. While the poor thing was trapped, he chewed through my phone cord He must have been so scared. Poor thing. It broke my heart.

I've not heard of these traps before, they sound awful.
    What sane person would use one?!
    Rest in Peace my beautiful little Bonnie

07/01/92 - 12/03/09

Thread Information