Thread: Octopus Paul retires with perfect record

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Octopus Paul retires with perfect record

BERLIN (July 12) - No more World Cup, no more octopus oracle.

Paul, the octopus who became a pop culture sensation by correctly predicting the outcome of as many World Cup matches as he has legs - all seven of Germany's games plus the Spain-Netherlands final - is going to retire.

Patrik Stollarz, AFP / Getty Images
    Paul the psychic octopus correctly chose Spain over the Netherlands in the World Cup final. He is now retiring from the prognosticating business.

The intuitive invertebrate will "step back from the official oracle business," Tanja Munzig, a spokeswoman for the Sea Life aquarium in Oberhausen, told AP Television News.

"He won't give any more oracle predictions - either in football, nor in politics, lifestyle or economy," she said. "Paul will get back to his former job, namely making children laugh."

However, Paul took one last curtain call on Monday. Aquarium employees presented the octopus with a golden cup - similar to the official World Cup trophy.

Although the cup was garnished with three mussels, Paul ignored it for several minutes as it was lowered into his tank.

He finally picked off one mussel and devoured it in front of television cameras.

Paul won worldwide attention as he called all of Germany's games correctly - including its semifinal defeat by Spain. He crowned his career by forecasting correctly that Spain would beat Holland in Sunday's final

I know nothing about soccer but I did keep up with Paul

And here I thought the Germans were going to kill and eat him.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

fgg

finally someone who knows when to quit while he's ahead!

I don't think the Germans eat octopus, do they? They can give him to me.

It was a cool gimmick. Pity he won't be doing it anymore. If he's still alive for the next Euro they can get him out of retirement. I don't even know how long they live.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    finally someone who knows when to quit while he's ahead!
    nah, he'll come out of retirement in 4 years.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ yeah you know how celebs are, they can't get the fame and excitement out of their veins Spain actually said if they win Paul could come and live there.

It's said they live about 4 years in captivity. I think Paul is about 2 years old so definitely won't be around for the next world cup.

So his legend will forever continue.

fgg

Paul the octopus could make millions

By Brooks Peck

International icon and unofficial king of Spain, Paul the Oracle Octopus has officially retired from the World Cup match-predicting racket and may now be used to cash in. According to CNN, the Sea Life aquarium where Paul resides is entertaining offers for Paul's promotional services and PR people are drooling over his potential to make millions.
    PR guru Max Clifford, best known for generating tabloid headlines such as "Freddie Starr ate my hamster," believes Paul, who was born in England, has ended his soothsaying days at exactly the right time. "Obviously his 100 percent record is remarkable but the minute he gets it wrong it all disappears," Clifford told CNN.

Now Paul could star in light-hearted commercials. "If you get it right, and remember Paul has had worldwide success ... you're talking about an earning potential of 2 or 3 million (up to $4.5 million), maybe more. It's got to bring a smile to everybody's face. You've got the world's first multimillion-pound octopus here.
    Up to $4.5 million for the endorsement of an octopus that ate a clam out of a box labeled with the flag of a match-winning team eight consecutive times? It's ridiculous, but when you consider the money paid to humans who have done far less than that to endorse a wide range of horrible products, it starts to make sense.

The only problem with Paul? He's just six months shy of the average three-year lifespan for an octopus. Then again, that's probably a generous assessment of how long people will remember him anyway.
    Another expert agreed, saying there was no limit to the ways in which Paul could be marketed. "Obviously he has a short shelf life but there are many options," said Allyson Stewart-Allen, director of London-based International Marketing Partners.

"A good use for him would be in adverts featuring two competing brands, such as Coke or Pepsi. Which does Paul prefer?" said Stewart-Allen.

"The gaming industry would be the logical use for Paul, or marketing a service that compares the market. Or he could just be an icon, marketing a company like Octopus Travel, for instance.
    So keep an eye out for Paul the octopus billboards, TV ads and Happy Meal toys over the coming months. Followed by the most expensive octopus dish ever.

Go 'head, Paul!

My mom is completely obsessed with this little guy.

Dinner!
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Thread Information