Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm putting my cat down today

Default I'm putting my cat down today

Or maybe tomorrow, it depends on whether I can find the vet and get him to come home. I don't want to have to take her to the surgery to do it.

I've taken that decision once before but she got a little better with fluids and stuff so that bought her another month. However, she's in renal failure and I can't bear the thought of causing her anymore pain just because I can't let her go.

She's 19 and I love her so much I can't describe it. We grew up together. She feels like a member of my family. She was the family cat and my mother would call her her daughter so to me now she's like my small, furry sister. What a decision to have to make...

I just want to ask the people who've had to make this decision how they handled it and what it was like.

I am SO sorry. I want you to be brave and not be stupid like I once was. We had a dog we adored. My son had grown up with him. The Vet begged me to put him to sleep. But no, I just would not listen, just could not bear it. How stupid I was!! I had to be alone with him while he died-it served me right. He could have died painlessly, but nooo. My selfishness was cruel and heartless-I don't think I understood what I was doing. I will never forgive myself.
    Last December I had to have my darling Ginger put to sleep-it was kind and gentle. They left me alone with her, so I could sing her favorite nite-nite song . This time I was prepared, and in January got to adopt a sweet 4 year old dog who was just junked. He is the sweetest dog, I know Ginger sent him to me. We are so very happy now.
    I know how much it hurts, but please do the right thing. You owe her that, she trusts you. Don't put it off, I beg you. I am sorry you are having to go through this. Hugs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

Oh, I am so sorry hunny! Big hugs and prayers for you!
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

I am so sorry too, I hope you'll be all right.
    I don't know what words of comfort I could tell you to ease your pain a bit, I can just tell you I really am sorry.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Oh goodness Yanna, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what you're going through. *hugs*
    Free Charmed.

I'm sorry Yanna. Hugs to you, girl.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

!9 years of love and friendship are hard to let go. I'm so sorry,Yanna.The biggest act of love will be to let your friend go.

Hugs to both of you.

Thanks people. I had to leave her to go to work and it's killing me . I am reading, I just can't let myself think about it too much or I'll burst into tears at my desk.

I'm sorry- I know that feeling. I had to put my kitty Maxie down too she was 16.
    It is one of the hardest things to do, but one of the most beautiful things I've experienced also. To be there, and hold them as they leave .. us. I would have it no other way.
    Then I didn't leave the house for 2 days and cried.. a lot.

Be strong and know you are doing the right thing. HUGS
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

I am so sorry. I also know the feeling. I had to have my poor kitty put down many years ago and it is truly heartbreaking.

Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Elite Member

Be brave Yanna. The last best thing you can do for your baby is to safely see her over to the otherside with dignity and no pain. I still cry every day for my Lucy and it's been 5 months.

My Punkin was 19 when I put her down last year. You gotta keep in mind that what you're doing is best for them. They ARE suffering and they have such little mini-systems that when they get to be of a certain age, they are just not going to make a recovery. And, as hard as it is to let go, keep keeping in mind that it's what's best for them and it's in service of that. Be there for her; hold her when she gets the shot, tell her you love her and that she's the best thing since sliced bread with peanut butter and jelly, then cry for however long you have to. And remember, you have people here who have been thru it and understand; it's not easy, but it's the right thing to do.

Hugs to you.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

25 years ago, my dog, who was 16, had a stroke overnight, and we had to make a choice about putting her down.

i can remember begging him to walk, and of course he couldn't. It was the hardest thing for us to do, putting that dog down, but he had no quality of life at all. So in my heart i know we did the right thing.

BUT, this past February, my 13 yo cat died. she had been ill for quite some time, and i just couldn't bring myself to do it. completely selfish on my part. I look back and wish i'd had the courage to do it, but i just couldn't.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Syd

I've had to make this decision several times and it never gets any easier. Just know that you are doing the best thing for your baby. My heart goes out to you, my dear.

We just did it in 2008 for our 13 year old dog. Hardest thing I've ever done. I wailed in that room when the vet left and didn't know how I was going to leave her in that room and walk away. I cried for 2 weeks. Hell, I'm crying now just thinking about it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information