Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My cat seems to have a problem with hygiene

Default My cat seems to have a problem with hygiene

Hello everyone, I'm looking for solutions if you have some !

Here's the problem :
    My cat has recently taken a liking in doing its business on my kitchen floor
    (also works on my boyfriend's kitchen floor when we're at his place :p)

Of course its cat litter is clean, and well, my cat knows where it is.

I just don't know how to make it stop doing this on the floor and in its litter again !
    Friends told me to wash the floor with vinegar, it didn't work, change the litter and its place, didn't work either, I'm out of solutions right now, you see anything I could do?
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

You say that the cat is also messing on your BF's kitchen floor as well as your own? So you move the cat between your two homes? I'm wondering if there is something that has occurred during one of the swaps that has made your cat anxious, stressed or insecure and this is his way of telling you about it, as cats are normally very clean and fussy about toileting. Try washing the area with a baking soda solution after cleaning it with normal cleaning products, or use something citrus-scented to discourage him. A trip to the vets for a check up might be in order if its mainly peeing as sometimes a water infection can cause cats to behave like this and water infections tend to occur more in indoor cats. My money is on something upsetting him emotionally, though.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Um, how old is your cat? When my cats got old they all started doing it on the floor.
    "Well isn't that special"

I've also heard that some cats like everything to be placed just so, that they don't like their water, food, and litter box to be near each other. Have you moved the litter box recently or started using a new brand of litter?

When we take my dog on long trips with us (several hours, rest stops, hotels), sometimes he will not eat for a while and will not pee until the end of the day, even when we take him to the rest stops. If your cat is traveling between your and your boyfriend's house a lot, this could be upsetting him. Also, depending on how long you've been with your boyfriend, the cat could be upset with a new person in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    You say that the cat is also messing on your BF's kitchen floor as well as your own? So you move the cat between your two homes? I'm wondering if there is something that has occurred during one of the swaps that has made your cat anxious, stressed or insecure and this is his way of telling you about it, as cats are normally very clean and fussy about toileting.
    You're right about that, I've been moving my cat a lot lately. Well, I've always moved her from time to time since she was little, but I bought a flat last june, so she changed "home", then, from september on, I've been going every two week to my boyfriend's, and I've always taken her with me, maybe that's her way of telling me she can't take it anymore, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Um, how old is your cat? When my cats got old they all started doing it on the floor.
    She's 3 and a half ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Doctora Pepper View Post
    I've also heard that some cats like everything to be placed just so, that they don't like their water, food, and litter box to be near each other. Have you moved the litter box recently or started using a new brand of litter?
    I've moved her litter box yes, because I had work done in my appartment and it was in the way, and then I had people, who slept in my 2nd bedroom (where her box usually is), so I've put it in the kitchen and it's stayed there ever since, it's been there for a couple of months now.

So what do I do basically?
    Should I let her box in the kitchen or do I put it back in the bedroom?
    I'm not going to take her with me anymore when I go to my boyfriend, I'll have a friend come and stay at home to take care of her, well, I don't know if it's that good an idea but I can't spent my summer going back and forth from my boyfriend to my cat, I can't afford it.

How do I make her understand she has to resume using her box? That's complicated
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I've got a cat that's nasty,too. He's the only cat I've ever seen who won't clean himself and will walk around for weeks with dirt on his face until it just wears off.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried putting the box in the kitchen and then slowly moving it to where you want it? I know it's timely but it might work.

Elite Member

Just a thought...is the BF a new addition? My kitty, when we added a puppy to the mix, took up not only shredding the furniture, but would come in, stare us right in the eye while we we're eating dinner, and piss all over the floor and wall and then run away growling. It was a territorial issue.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I've got a cat that's nasty,too. He's the only cat I've ever seen who won't clean himself and will walk around for weeks with dirt on his face until it just wears off.
    Jeez that's nasty for a cat !
    I've never heard about a cat who could cope with dirt !

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Have you tried putting the box in the kitchen and then slowly moving it to where you want it? I know it's timely but it might work.
    I'm actually trying that, I've put her box in the middle of the kitchen, at the exact location where she used to do her business (not really practical since it's exactly in the middle of the kitchen !) and I'm gonna slightly move it back against the wall, see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Just a thought...is the BF a new addition? My kitty, when we added a puppy to the mix, took up not only shredding the furniture, but would come in, stare us right in the eye while we we're eating dinner, and piss all over the floor and wall and then run away growling. It was a territorial issue.
    I've been with him for nearly a year, but he doesn't come here often, most of the time I go to his place (with the cat)
    Basically I thing just being moved a lot might be the problem
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

OK, nothing has worked, and now she does that EVERY FUCKING DAY, I'm so pissed off at having to wash my kitchen at 6 a.m when I'm already in a hurry to go to work, I'm fucking tired of coming back home late from a party and having to wash my kitchen, Jesus I'm gonna kill this cat !

Is there something they really don't like, that I could spray all over on the floor?
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

You could buy another litter box, make sure you use your cat's preferred type of litter, and put it in the original location and let her choose between the two. You should also try taking her to the vet. Also, if you're comfortable with it, let her outside during the day. Our cat is an indoor/outdoor cat, splitting his time up 50/50. We have a litter box, but he doesn't use it anymore. He does all his business outside.

I found this link: The Top 8 Reasons Why Your Kitty Won’t Use the Litter Box

Elite Member

Have you had the vet check for a UTI? If the issue is escalating to a daily basis, I would definately want to rule out the physical.
    Also just a thought...why dont you get a 'dog' crate large enough for kitty to walk around, have a bed and the box? Much fewer options for disaster at 6 am if he's there during the night or when you are out. Line the crate with newspapers under everything and it's a quick clean up.

Thanks a lot guys !
    I'm gonna try buying a 2nd box and see how that works. Last night I've put newspaper everywhere on the kitchen floor (no "surprise" this morning, maybe kitty doesn't like newspaper as much as my kitchen floor)

I've seen the vet, says everything's normal and that's probably due to her being on heat.
    I'll see if she keeps on doing that once I've finally sterilized her.

Doctora Pepper >> Letting her oustide would be a good solution, but I can't let her out, she's a Birman cat, I'm afraid she'd get stolen. Anyway she's afraid of everything, she tends to go crazy when she's outside
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I didn't know that about being in heat. I've never had an unspayed animal, except when my puppy was really young.

Too bad your cat can't go outside. My cat seems to love it. But we got him at 3 from the animal shelter. They said his backstory was either that he was rescued from a cat hoarder, or he was a wild cat living in a field. We came in on two separate days and they told us two separate stories. Part of me wonders if they were just telling sob stories to get us to take him home. Whatever the case, he's really street smart, which is good because we live in a bad area with a crowded parking lot and a major intersection.

I'm going to check with my vet again, kitty's been on heat since this morning, and a few minutes ago, she just pooped right on the kitchen counter !!!
    I definitely think something must be wrong, and since it's been going on for months I'm really worried now.
    It's her favorite spot in the kitchen, where she always sits to stare outside (just in front of the window), she'd never soil this place if everything was ok ...
    Hope my vet can see me tomorrow
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information