Thread: Cat Survives 30-Minute Dunk In Washing Machine‎

Default Cat Survives 30-Minute Dunk In Washing Machine‎

THE last thing Lindsay Rogers expected when he opened his front-loader washing machine was the mournful “meow” of his bedraggled and seriously dizzy four-month-old kitten, Kimba.
    Mr Rogers, of Manly Vale, was loading the washing machine when Kimba decided to sneak inside and snuggle into the dirty clothes while his back was turned, but the machine’s door was open.
    Suspecting nothing, Mr Rogers turned around, closed the door, started the machine and walked away.
    “I put the clothes in, put the powder and the fabric softener in, put it on a cold wash - which was very lucky - and put it on for a 30-minute cycle,” he said.
    “When I opened the door, it just went ‘meow’ and stuck its head out.
    “I couldn’t believe it - the spin cycle at the end goes really fast and I couldn’t believe it survived.”
    While most people he has told the story to have had a bit of a laugh, Mr Rogers said Kimba was seriously unwell with very sore eyes from the soap and he wasn’t sure how she would fare.
    He rushed the little persian kitten to Allambie Vet, whose staff immediately put her on an intravenous drip.
    Head nurse Natalie Macdonald said without intervention Kimba would have certainly died.
    “She was very flat and wet, very recumbent and lying on her side and not very responsive,” Ms Macdonald said.
    “The first thing they did was get some vitals, place her on an IV (intravenous therapy) and administer fluids.
    “She was suffering from shock and hypothermia and they put her on a heat mat and dried her until her body temperature slowly returned to normal.”
    Amazingly, after just a couple of hours, Kimba was stable and “purring like a little motor”, according to Mr Rogers.

But the vet had serious concerns for her eyes, which were inflamed and ulcerated from the soap, and eye ointments, anti-inflammatories and antibiotics were introduced immediately.
    Two weeks later Kimba was back to normal, with no long-term problems.
    When Kimba’s other owner, Margaret Rogers, returned from overseas she said she was in “shock-horror” when she heard what had happened.
    “I couldn’t believe what I was being told, but she is fine and is certainly a lucky little cat,” she said.

Catastrophe but Kimba survives spin cycle - Local News - News | The Manly Daily

she just dumped the clothes into the washer? silly me, i put the soap in first, then the clothing, piece by piece. Maybe that's why i haven't washed a cat.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Idiot guy, when you have cats you have to be on your guard at all times. Yesterday, one of ours climbed in the fridge when I was putting groceries away and had my back turned for a sec. I also don't like how he refers to his cat as "it".

^^I don't like how he referred to the cat as "it",either. Makes me wonder if he did this intentionally.

Elite Member

Pretty kitty. She looks healthy in the picture. Hope her eyes heal, with no future issues.

That cat looks pissed off.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    she just dumped the clothes into the washer? silly me, i put the soap in first, then the clothing, piece by piece. Maybe that's why i haven't washed a cat.
    With front loaders you have to start the machine before soap/water fills the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    With front loaders you have to start the machine before soap/water fills the machine.
    but would you just dump the laundry in one lump?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    but would you just dump the laundry in one lump?
    The article doesn't say how he loaded the washer. It says the cat snuck in while his back was turned.

With a front loader, it's pretty easy for a cat to jump in - one of mine has done it a couple of times, which is why I got into the habit of checking before I close the door (the first time I didn't see her jump in, but, luckily, she stood out against the dark clothes, so I spotted her before closing the door).
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

I bet he had to rewash that load. Poor kitty.

Thread Information