Thread: Court voids law aimed at animal cruelty videos

Default Court voids law aimed at animal cruelty videos

Court voids law aimed at animal cruelty videos

WASHINGTON The Supreme Court struck down a federal law Tuesday aimed at banning videos that show graphic violence against animals, saying it violates the right to free speech.
    The justices, voting 8-1, threw out the criminal conviction of Robert Stevens of Pittsville, Va., who was sentenced to three years in prison for videos he made about pit bull fights.
    The law was enacted in 1999 to limit Internet sales of so-called crush videos, which appeal to a certain sexual fetish by showing women crushing to death small animals with their bare feet or high-heeled shoes.
    The videos virtually disappeared once the measure became law, the government argued.
    But Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the majority, said the law goes too far, suggesting that a measure limited to crush videos might be valid.
    In dissent, Justice Samuel Alito said the harm animals suffer in dogfights is enough to sustain the law.

Court voids law aimed at animal cruelty videos

Kudos to Judge Alito, the rest should be shot.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I just saw this. Ugh.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

The law was enacted in 1999 to limit Internet sales of so-called crush videos, which appeal to a certain sexual fetish by showing women crushing to death small animals with their bare feet or high-heeled shoes.
    My fucking god! I've never heard of this. There are so many insane people in the world. They need to put these people down for the good of the world. God that makes me sick!

Pedophiles and animal abusers need to be pts.

Back then when the law was enacted I had some asshole come into the strip club I worked at and ask for me to kick him in the crotch. I brought up the law saying it was a good thing and he said it was a violation of the first amendment. I don't buy that shit for one minute. Turns out he had a pet cat so I asked if he would be okay with someone stomping on his cat, oh no that's different. No it isn't. Our conversation ended there and I left the table.

A few years ago, there was this site (I think it was uselessjunk.net) that showed a lot of really wild videos - some very objectionable material. And people were very jaded about what was being shown. But apparently, they posted a crush video of a woman stomping a kitten to death with her stiletto heels. I never saw the video -- it was pulled by the time I saw the comments.

There was an absolute firestorm and people were threatening to kill whoever made the video, and go after whoever ran the site that posted the video. I think it was the first and only time the site moderator ever apologized for posting something.

That's disgusting. How is this not considered animal cruelty? And what kind of sick cunt does that shit?

This is appalling.

Who would think I would cheer Alito?!?!

This is beyond stupid. Common sense comes into play sometimes...are you listening Justices?? It's illegal to hurt an animal or to be cruel to an animal, so why shouldn't it be illegal to manufacture videos glorifying it??? Free speech my ass. Part of the reason they said that they voted against it was because of the sales of hunting videos. Even the hunters found this to be bullshit. They don't want to be lumped in with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    That's disgusting. How is this not considered animal cruelty? And what kind of sick cunt does that shit?
    A lot, apparently. The video that I was referring to came out of China. The Washington Post had a follow-up story this morning and said that zillions of tapes had been made of people stomping kittens, puppies, hamsters, bugs, etc. with stiletto heels. So, there is some kind of fetish market out there that I was totally (and blissfully) unaware of until recently.

Apparently, the Justices' principal problem with the legislation was that it was too broadly written. They said they would probably not have a problem with more narrowly written legislation that was limited to torture/crush videos, but the legislation was written in a way that almost anything involving an animal's perceived suffering could be prosecuted.

The guy who appealed his case to the USSC in this instance, in fact, was someone who had posted a pitbull dog fight video. I understand how reprehensible pitbull fighting is, but the legislation was not written to prosecute pitbull fighting tapes, and the fact that the case made it this far was the point the USSC was making about the law being written to broadly.

I've known about "crush" videos for years, I guess someone must be really hard up for cash to do that shit. It's disgusting.

So the DA fucked up when they went after the guy not just for dog fighting but for taping it as well? Fucking retarded. Animal cruelty is animal cruelty. I doubt you can put a disclaimer on a video of dog fighting or crushing that makes anyone honestly believe no animals were harmed in the making of the video. Perceived suffering my ass.

Thread Information