Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boarding Question

Default Boarding Question

I will be going away for about a week this summer, and I have 2 cats, one of whom is diabetic and takes Insulin twice daily. Boarding is my only option for them, since I don't have anyone who can stay in my apartment with them. I'm a bit of a wreck at the thought of them being thrown in a cage for a week, thinking of how confused & scared they'll probably be (I know you fellow pet owners can understand). Have any of you boarded your pets for any length of time, and if so were they traumatized by it, or did it have any lasting effects? I know I sound a bit psycho, but they're old cats and they haven't been away from me since I adopted them last year.

Cats don't take well to boarding from what I know, they find most changes of environment pretty traumatic. That, and being thrown into something akin to an animal shelter.... ehh.

They're gonna be mighty pissed at you when you get back. They'll be peeing on a few prized items in retaliation and they probably wont 'talk' to you for a week.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Can you get someone to come in and leave the cats in their familiar environment? Ask your vet? They might know someone.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I agree with Grimm. A friend of mine boarded her diabetic cat and he was traumatized by it. He became a nervous wreck and very skittish. To this day we wonder what they did to him that made him like that.
    Last edited by Mivvi21; March 29th, 2010 at 08:32 PM.

do you know any cat ladies or anyone in the neighbourhood who could do it? or any (trustworthy) students or teenagers who would like to earn extra cash and could come to your house and feed them and administer meds?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That's the catch - I trust no one. The thought of someone I don't know in my home would ruin my vaykay more then the thought of my poor cats! I was going to see if the shelter would keep them for the week, since I work there and my boys were there for 2 years before I adopted them, but from all your advice, I'm thinking not so much now. Hmmm... I suppose I could see if the one kid there would stay at my apt, but he has a tendency to come and never leave when he house sits lol. Thanks for all the input, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I will be going away for about a week this summer, and I have 2 cats, one of whom is diabetic and takes Insulin twice daily. Boarding is my only option for them, since I don't have anyone who can stay in my apartment with them. I'm a bit of a wreck at the thought of them being thrown in a cage for a week, thinking of how confused & scared they'll probably be (I know you fellow pet owners can understand). Have any of you boarded your pets for any length of time, and if so were they traumatized by it, or did it have any lasting effects? I know I sound a bit psycho, but they're old cats and they haven't been away from me since I adopted them last year.

I tend to board at my vets office, its not as crazy busy as a kennel, I feel better that my dog is getting her medicine correctly, and I find they're not as stressed out when I pick them up. Now when I go away without my kids, I've been collecting a pool of college girls that can move in and take care of them all for a few days.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dogs are different from cats, but even dogs can be traumatized.. we boarded ours a few times but he eventually developed a separation anxiety complex and tore the house apart one day when we went out shopping for a few hours. He just snapped. After that, he was constantly nervous, pacing, always wanted to be outside, would pant nervously, and his mind was just.. gone. Had to put him down.

Cats are worse, they're not exactly social animals in the wild. They don't run with a pack, but thrive on familiar surroundings.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My cat does pretty well at the vet's. Now the one time she ran away and was in jail for a few days, she was definitely traumatized when I picked her up.

But then, when I do board them at the vet's, its never more than a 3 or 4-day weekend.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I wonder if boarding them for a day or two some period ahead of time might help them acclimatize or make it worse?
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

My sister always has a cat lady take care of hers. She has even more worry, since she had her hubby adopted a slew of ferals, which require different handeling. The feral cat lady even helped them trap & haul them off for spay & neutering. Anyway, she is perfect to care for both inside & outside cats. You will feel happier with them in their own little spacees.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yeah, and to compound the issue, we recently moved to a NEW shelter, so even though it would be the PEOPLE they were used to, it wouldn't be the PLACE they knew. And I don't know if giving them an item of my clothing would help calm them, or if it'd be like peeing on a forest fire...

I also wanted to add that since one off your cats is diabetic,I would be very careful who I chose to let take care of him and give him his insulin.

I have a diabetic cat as well,and on a forum I read(felinediabetes.com if you're interested) there is a lady whose cat was severly brain damaged after she boarded him at her veterinarians. He let an unlicensed person give the cat his insulin and severly overdosed him on it. Here is a link to her website:

The Toonces Project

I've had to board my cats several times. Honestly, they've always been pretty good when I got them home. Our vet has a cool little set up where they can see outside all day and they can get "adjoining" suites and visit each other. Now, when I would board my dog it was a different story. It was hit or miss. Sometimes she had fun, other times she came back sad and depressed. I would usually board her in a place where she was in the doggie daycare all day and then in a little room at night. Finally, we found a friend that we trusted and would have him stay at our place while we went out of town.

I'm sure your kitties will be fine. If I were you, I would lean more towards boarding at your vet since kitty needs an insulin shot daily.

See if your vet has anyone in the office who would like to pick up some extra work petsitting. They would be trustworthy with the insulin.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information