Thread: Bornean orangutan Duchess celebrates her 50th birthday at the Phoenix Zoo

Default Bornean orangutan Duchess celebrates her 50th birthday at the Phoenix Zoo

The Phoenix Zoo is used to hosting birthday parties, but this one was a little different.

Duchess the orangutan turned 50 on Saturday, and the zoo treated her to gifts, an ice cake filled with fruit and a rendition of "Happy Birthday" by hundreds of zoo visitors.
    Her keeper, Bob Keesecker, said Duchess didn't seem too stressed about the milestone.
    "I told her it was her birthday today and she didn't seem to be overly concerned about it," he said. "I made sure her hair looked good before she went out."
    Keesecker said Duchess has quite a sweet tooth and worked pretty hard to get to the fruit in the ice cake.
    Zoo officials say Duchess is the nation's oldest captive Bornean orangutan, and is now 10 years older than the 40-year life expectancy of orangutans in the wild.
    Duchess was just 2 years old when the zoo opened in 1962, and is one of only a few remaining original animals. She has given birth seven times and lives with one of her daughters, her daughter's mate, and their daughter.
    Keesecker said that besides a strong devotion to food, Duchess also enjoys painting pictures on canvas and cleaning her own pen with a scrubbing brush and a bucket of water.
    Saturday's birthday party included the groundbreaking of a $4-million orangutan exhibit that will provide a more natural environment for Duchess and her family. Zoo officials hope the exhibit will allow them to add more orangutans in the future.
    The new exhibit will be part of the zoo's overall $20-million makeover that includes a recently opened Komodo dragon exhibit and a future Sumatran tiger exhibit.

Bornean orangutan Duchess celebrates her 50th birthday at the Phoenix Zoo | L.A. Unleashed | Los Angeles Times

50! Aw. Poor thing being in a zoo all that time though.

One of my favorite animals.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Duchess also enjoys painting pictures on canvas and cleaning her own pen with a scrubbing brush and a bucket of water.

They make her clean her own pen...

She looks like she's had a good life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

What a sweetheart. I've never been a big fan of zoos, but after becoming friends with some people at the San Diego Zoo, I found that there are a lot of caring people that work at the zoo. It seems like they've given her pretty good care. I love that she cleans her own room!

Thread Information