Thread: Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars

Default Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars

Wales has become the first part of the UK to outlaw the use of electric shock collars to train cats and dogs. The ban, passed by assembly members, means from midnight anyone caught using the devices faces a fine of up to £20,000 or six months in prison.
    Animal welfare groups such as the RSPCA and the Kennel Club supported the move.
    The Electronic Collar Manufacturers' Association said it feared the ban could lead to an influx of unmanageable pets into dog shelters.
    The collars are sometimes used to train dogs and cats by giving an electric shock when the animal is deemed to have behaved badly.
    Wales' Rural Affairs Minister Elin Jones, who announced plans for the ban last month, said she was "very pleased".
    "It is important that owners are aware of the ban, and that they now take appropriate steps to comply with the law," she added.

Today, Wales has proven that it is truly leading the way and we hope that the rest of the UK will follow
    Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club

"I'm pleased that as a government, we are taking a proactive approach to promoting the welfare of animals by banning the use of such electronic training devices in Wales."
    The RSPCA said it believed there was no place for shock collars in modern animal training and recommended the use of reward-based methods instead.
    Kennel Club members staged a display outside the Senedd in Cardiff Bay before the vote.
    Its communications director Caroline Kisko said: "This is a historic day for animal welfare in Wales and we are absolutely delighted that so many AMs voted in favour of the regulations.
    "Today, Wales has proven that it is truly leading the way and we hope that the rest of the UK will follow by example to outlaw these cruel and unnecessary devices."

'Bad idea'
    But manufacturers said the devices helped to successfully train dogs not to chase livestock, or attack other pets or people.
    Duncan McNair, of the Electronic Collar Manufacturers' Association, said: "It's a bad idea because more dogs will die, more dogs will have to be re-homed and more owners will have to be distressed at having to give up their pets."
    He said there were around 500,000 of the collars in the UK and said, at a rough estimate, there were around 20,000 in Wales.
    "I wouldn't dream of suggesting that people disobey the law, everybody will be making their own decision about what they do, but what I do think is that if a large number of people who use them stop using them, there will be an influx of dogs into dog shelters."

BBC News - Wales the first part of the UK to ban pet shock collars

Personally, I think if you can't train a dog without using a shock collar then you have no business having a dog!!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Personally, I think if you can't train a dog without using a shock collar then you have no business having a dog!!
    I agree. Some dogs can be very difficult and stubborn to train, but you should work through it. A lot of patience and non-violent guidance will improve your and the dog's connection, while getting the same results.

Elite Member

We have a great dane next door who barked incessantly from when his owner left her out at 6:30 am until the owner returned from wall st about 10:30 at night. He refused to believe that the dog was barking all day until I taped it. After much kicking and screaming on their part they finally got her an anti barking shock collar and the problem was instantly solved.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    We have a great dane next door who barked incessantly from when his owner left her out at 6:30 am until the owner returned from wall st about 10:30 at night. He refused to believe that the dog was barking all day until I taped it. After much kicking and screaming on their part they finally got her an anti barking shock collar and the problem was instantly solved.
    There are at least two different kinds of shock collars. There is the kind you mentioned and there are also training/punishment collars that are activated by remote, like this one: Amazon.com: Remote Control Dog Training Shock Collar for 2 Dogs with 3 Levels of Shock and Vibration: Kitchen & Dining

I'm not sure if they're banning both of them.

Anti-bark collars are also available as spray collars with scents dogs don't like (PetSafe Premium Spray Bark Control Collar) and ultrasonic beeping that dogs can't stand. (Petsafe,Ultrasonic,Small No Bark Collar,Petsafe Anti Bark Collar,No Bark Collars,Petsafe Bark Collar,Bark Control Collar,Bark Control Training)

My dogs have never had a problem with barking, so I guess I've been pretty lucky.

Again, a person who shouldn't have a dog is a person who leaves a dog outside from 6 in the morning until 10 at night...then gets a shock collar to keep it from barking. Gee, wonder why the dog barks all day.

Elite Member

Certainly, my preference would be for the dog to have a human playdate instead of a shock collar. But that suggestion was met with total disinterest by the owner, as was the one about the trainer. And I'm not listening to someone else's 150 lb dog, with a similar heavy weight bark for 12-14 hours a day 7 days a week, starting at 6 am. They moved in and got this puppy on week one to appease the children of the first marriage about the new marriage to the former girlfriend.

I can understand your position, but I agree with the other person who posted that these people have no business having a dog.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Ooooh, those anti-bark collars just break my heart.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

So my dog is barking at something right now and that's fine because that's kind of what I want him to do... let me know when there is something weird going on not just bark at the air. He's 5 months old and almost weighs 40 lbs. Today I purchased the Petsafe Big Dog Training Collar. This collar is not for barking but I use a remote that causes static (is this supposed to be a shock) whenever he gets distracted and is not listening to commands. I have not used it yet on the dog but after I charged it I totally tested it out on myself... ummmm I have no idea if maybe I got a defective one or what but level 1 is a joke and ummmmm I might have to take it back because even at the highest level there is no way this will make my dog bat an eyelash. Maybe I'll get a cattle prod.

Okay, so I'm glad I have a money back for 30 days on this thing because there is no way it could be effective. I don't think it's cruel but it really doesn't do anything. I need something with vibration to it. I could order one online or I could rig one up with some duct tape and this remote vibrator a boyfriend gave me.
    Last edited by Just Kill Me; April 12th, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

JKM I bought a very effective collar. Back story: I have two GSD. The younger one is huge. She probably outweighs the older one by 30 pounds. She's a linebacker type of dog who charges in first, thinks about it later. She's also very stubborn with a "Make me!" attitude. She's completely obsessed with food. She would constantly bully my older smaller Shepherd. Grabbing her by the throat. If they both had bones, the bigger one wanted both. She'd harass the smaller until she got her bone. I would instantly separate them and put bully in her crate for awhile. I did this constantly with no change. My friend suggested this collar that she used for a similar situation with one of her dogs.

After I tried it a couple times, she got a clue: beating up other dog=zap. Probably ten times later, all I would have to do is say "No!" and point the remote at her. She no longer wears her collar, but she still usually listens to me. When she doesn't, all I have to do is point the remote without her even wearing the collar and she will mind. So it was very effective. If I wasn't able to solve the problem, she would have had to go back to the rescue.

Oh and my son felt the shock. He said it was a little sting that lasted for a second.

This is the collar I bought:

Tri-Tronics Sport® Junior Dog Training Collar : Cabela's

Thread Information