Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Bracken, the dog who swallowed a football

  1. #1
    Elite Member dowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Brasil
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Bracken, the dog who swallowed a football

    Bracken, the dog who swallowed a football


    A dog has recovered after needing emergency surgery - because it had swallowed a whole toy football.


    Bracken the labrador, who needed surgery after swallowing a football, chases after another ball

    Bracken the labrador ended up with the deflated ball stuck next to his heart after munching it while out of sight of his owner John Grant and would have died without surgery.

    Mr Grant realised the two-year-old dog needed medical attention when he started coughing incessantly.
    When Bracken was X-rayed at the University of Glasgow Small Animal Hospital, vets noticed an unexpected dark shape near the labrador's heart.

    Further tests revealed a congenital abnormality - a hole in the diaphragm between the dog's chest and abdomen which meant part of his stomach could move into the space.

    When surgical specialist Kathryn Pratschke operated, assisted by vet Damian Chase, they were stunned to discover that the foreign object was a deflated toy football about 12cm (5 inches) long.

    Mr Chase said: 'Bracken had been fine and his stomach had been gradually moving in and out from this area in his chest, but because he had eaten this toy football it got stuck up there. Part of the stomach moved and was sitting next to his heart with the football in it.

    'We were surprised because when we did the X-ray and scan we couldn't tell what it was. He is a very lucky dog. He would have died without the operation.'
    Mr Chase said the abnormality, called peritoneo-pericardial diaphragmatic hernia, can have catastrophic consequences, though many dogs with the same problem lead normal lives with the flaw going unnoticed.

    Bracken needed two operations to correct the problem, one last spring and one in January. He is now living life to the full at the Grant home in Lenzie, East Dunbartonshire - though where he found the football remains a mystery.

    Mr Grant, 70, said: 'I don't know where he picked it up, though it may have been in the park in the long grass. "He is quite inquisitive and noisy and boisterous. He eats anything - plastic bottles, golf balls, stones and sticks.'

    Bracken, the dog who swallowed a football | Metro.co.uk

    "Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

  2. #2
    Elite Member PoisonGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    Poor thing!
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

  3. #3
    Elite Member Honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    59,006

    Default

    He's gorgeous, glad he is ok

  4. #4
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,370

    Default

    They didn't even need to tell me it was a lab!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 30th, 2009, 09:01 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
  3. The dog who swallowed a mobile phone
    By Honey in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 9th, 2008, 01:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •