Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My dog has been diagnosed with cancer

Default My dog has been diagnosed with cancer

I'm heart broken. She's due to be 11 in a couple of weeks. She was my first dog(a golden retriever) and the sweetest, smartest little girl in the world. She had stopped eating her kibble, and not acting like herself, and we took her to her vet, assuming it was her arthritis. They found 2 tumors on her spleen. I would have let her live out her last days until she was in pain, but the tumors can rupture, and she could be in a world of pain should that happen.

She is due to be put to sleep on saturday, and I can't stop thinking about it and crying. Any kind words, especially from those on the board who have experienced this would really help me right now.

This is Gwendolyn
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Elite Member

Oh FV, I feel your pain! Our beautiful lady Labrador survived 2 mast cell tumors and 2 (at the same time) pre cancerous masses in her bladder. She rallied each time. We recently lost her at 13 years 3 monthes on 1/19/10. In the end, it was sudden Congestive Heart Failure that got my beautiful Lucy. We did the least amount of surgery we could do. For example, on the 2nd Mast Cell Tumor, which was on her pinky toe, the oncologist wanted to amputate 1/2 her foot. I only let them remove the tumor (the size of a deer tick) from the skin. We also refused radiation because the skin and flesh basically sloughs off. I wanted to give her the best chance, but had to balance the quality of life too. This was my baby for 7 years before I actually had one. And then from day one, she was the babysitter/big sister. Until she was too sick to make it through the night, Lucy slept in the baby's room every single night. My daughter learned to walk pulling herself up on Lu's ears. At the end, it happened very suddenly. I took her in and she was in massive heart failure, but barring a fatal arrythmea, she was slowly drowning in her lungs. I had to go get my little girl to say goodbye. When I got to the school in the middle of the day, she took one look at my face and said "Mommy did Lucy die?". Lucy was so beloved by the Vet Hospital Staff, that when I came to pick her up....after... the whole hospital staff came out to the parking lot to send her off. They also made an imprint of her paw for me which I cry over every single day. But the one thing I will tell you is this: over the years when Lucy faught the good fight against 'The Monster' I always would say to her vet that she was going to have to tell me when to stop because I wasn't rational on the subject. However, on that day I knew instantly that the last business of Lucy's life was that I had to get her safely through to the other side with no more pain. We had a funeral fit for a queen, as you should, too. Do you know the story of the Rainbow Bridge The Original Rainbow Bridge On-Line Pet Memorial ? We read it at the funeral and then everyone told a story of something special they had as a memory of her and then threw their flower in the grave. A friend of mine who had also just put her dog down said that the heartbreak we feel when we lose our furbaby is the price we pay for the lifetime of joy and love that we shared with them. I also had to put down my 24 year old best horses ever on my birthday last Thanksgiving. Just brutal.
    Last edited by scooter; March 9th, 2010 at 09:01 PM.

Oh no...I'm so sorry fashion victim from one dog lover to another xxx She's lovely

Oh, gosh I'm sitting here crying reading about Gwendolyn and Lucy. I'm so sorry for both of you for your losses. Dogs are such amazing creatures - they love and love and love and that's all they want in return.

I know I can't go in the pets we have loved and lost thread. It's just too painful to lose our babies. But, like scooter said, it's the price we pay for all that love and happiness.

Thank you so much for your words. Scooter, what an inspirational and sad story. My Gwenie isn't doing well tonight, I just want to fall apart. I worry about her 1/2 brother Pete, who is 8. He idolizes her and knows somwthing is wrong. Non-animal lovers can never understand the impact pets have on their owners lives. She is my baby and best friend.

I know she's ready to go, but I'm not ready to lose her.

Hugs. This is so difficult, but you have made a decision that is kind and loving.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Try not to be sad around her... fill yourself with happiness and shower her with it. Beam contentment and protectiveness at her. Glow with love.

See her off that way, not sadness. Let her know her companionship meant everything.

ugh, i miss my golden. i know how it feels.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

My heart aches for both of you. She's such a beautiful dog.

I'm crying from this thread! I will try to be happy around her. the photo doesn't do her justice, she's a beautiful dog. She's a lovley girl, love all people, kids, animals. Before she became ill she loved to play with her many toys. I'm really going to miss her.

Elite Member

FV, the only thing that keeps me off the ledge with the pigeons is St Johns Wort. 3 in the morning 3 at night. Otherwise, I swear I would be running up and down the road screaming. Be brave, like I know you can be, for her. Take her there and tell her everything is just fine and that you love her and how lucky you were... Then go home and drink a gallon of chardonnay to rehydrate the tears. Oh and water.

XOXOXO

Scooter

So sorry to hear about your precious friend, FV. My thoughts are with you.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I'm so sorry. It's sounds like your beautiful Gwendolyn has the same cancer that we lost our Josie to back in January. Hemangiosarcoma.

We brought Josie home and pet her, kissed her, cuddled her and sang all the silly songs to her we used to sing. I was determined to make her comfortable, but it wasn't to be. I cooked her chicken and tried to entice her to eat it. She let us know it was time to go and we honored her by doing just that. Stay with her and let her know that she's a good girl and that she's very loved.

My heart goes out to you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I called the vet, told them we were bringing in Maggie. Then she sort of looked at me and suddenly I thought she looked much better. She has breast cancer tumors (she's already had two operations for breast cancer and is missing 3 of her breasts) she's blind and deaf. I wake up each day saying this is the day. Then I end each day saying "not today"

I have no words of comfort but I can understand how you feel.
    hugs

Elite Member

My position was as long as she's comfortable and eating and getting around, I was prepared to continue with all the medications. But when she stopped eating and couldn't lie down for more than a few minutes (we discovered it was because her lungs were filling up) and started throwing up/diahrrea we knew it was time. But she had a great run of Indian Summer....way longer than anyone would have thought. For that I am profoundly greatful to our wonderful vet staff. They really did push the sun back up in the sky for a very long time. She cried for Lucy that last day, too.

So sad.
    Our Goldendoodle pup has not even been born yet (we're on a waiting list)
    but I already fear that after a, hopefully, long time together, we will say
    our final goodbyes to her, too.....
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information