Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Had A Boa Draped Around The Shoulders?

Default Has Anyone Had A Boa Draped Around The Shoulders?

A fully-grown boa constrictor, that is?

I'm still excited!

Uncle Boris came to take us food-hunting as usual, and he had his son, Benji, with him this morning. Benji is a rooster (I call teenage boys 'roosters' and teenage girls 'hens'). Benji is 18, an older rooster.

Uncle Russian likes to let Benji drive so that he can bark out orders at him.

Anyway, we went shopping for food and returned. Bill asked if Benji wouldn't mind driving to a local pet store so that I could buy some treats for our birds.

Off we went. On the drive to the pet store, Benji started to talk about how much he likes snakes and various reptiles, and I like them as well...blah, blah.

We got to the store, and I suggested to Benji that we go the lower floor where the reptiles and fish are, "just to look".

We spent about half an hour there! The guy who is in charge of the reptiles was very nice, and he brought out a fully-grown boa constrictor after we admired her, especially Benji. I admitted to the salesperson that I'd never touched a snake in my life, but always liked them.

(I later remembered playing with garter snakes when I was a kid, but what kid hasn't done that?)

That snake was just incredible. I had no idea that the skin would have the texture that hers had. She was cool and felt like the softest leather. I always imagined that a snake would feel dry to the touch, but that isn't the case at all.

She was just gorgeous. I held her for a while until Benji took her, and did she ever like him! She coiled around him, and even looped her tail through the belt loop of his jeans!

He wants to adopt her. Seriously. I don't blame him; I loved her, too.

The employee in charge of the reptiles showed us a large python behind glass. "I won't bring him out; he's angry," he remarked.

Phew!

I saw a spider behind glass called a "Rosy". It appeared as if the spider had hair on its legs rather than fur. Our friendly employee told us that this spider, when agitated, could 'fling' hairs at people, and the the hairs are encrusted with venom. He claimed that if one of those hairs hit a person's eye, it would blind the person. Hard to believe. I will google it, though.

Each to his own, I'd much rather have the gorgeous boa than the spider.

I saw some very sweet little lizards, too. If I didn't have birds, my very favourite animals, I'd probably go the reptile route...after dogs, that is.

Holding that beautiful large boa just made my whole day!

Is anyone here a reptile owner?

Hit By Ban Bus!

OK can I express my feelings without ticking anyone off?

I do not believe anyone should be allowed to keep snakes unless it is indigenous to their area. Some idiot bought a gaboon viper off of ebay, they found it running lose in the mans garage - there is no anti-venom here in the states unless your a zoo. AND Florida has a major problem with the Burmese python eating the wild life because "pet" owners just let them go. The Burmese is the largest snake, the anaconda is the longest but the burmese is the thickest. The damn thing is eating the young gators, the birds, other snakes and lizards - not to mention peoples pets. I think they should put a bounty on them. Yes I'm serious.

AND while I'm at it I don't think zoos or anyone should be allowed snakes if they can't keep them from escaping like during hurricanes (Andrew) or tornado's. The last think I want to even think about is a black mamba running lose.

Snakes are not pets. You feed them they won't attack you. Boa's are a apex predator, not fuzzy fluffy. If they bite you their teeth tilt backwards and it's hell to get them off you.

Snakes are interesting, I love to study them, from behind glass.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Yes, I've got a photo of me with about two or three huge ones all draped on me at once. I like reptiles because I loved dinosaurs and they are like the closet living things to them. I'm pleased that you had a good experience. Everyone I've ever talked to said they were surprised at what they really felt like, and even if they still aren't crazy about snakes they are at least a little less afraid once the snakes are demistified. Snakes are the easiest pet, imo. Only eats every 2-3 weeks, goes potty once per month, and lives to be in their 20's. Once you get their cage and whatnot, they are also very cheap to maintain.

I agree that people should have to have a special license for any of the giant snakes that pose a danger to most people or pets. However, most snakes and lizards do not pose any such threat. Ball pythons, for example, rarely exceed 5 feet, and a snake becomes 'dangerous' in size once it reaches 8 feet. So, not all boas or pythons are super huge and eat dogs and toddlers. Snakes that aren't too large when fully grown or that aren't venomous make fine, safe pets. Interestingly, many states make it illegal to own any snake that is indiginous to the area. For instance, in VA you can only purchase Western Hognose snakes and not Eastern Hognose snakes.

^^This is what mine looks like. Isn't he cute?
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

A*O

Oh but it's SO cool and edgy to keep poisonous wild animals in an old fishtank in your house. Sorry, but I just don't see the appeal of watching a reptile ingesting frozen rats. It's not like a snake can go and fetch a stick or bark at strangers.

A man is in a serious condition in hospital after being bitten in the face by a brown snake in the New South Wales Upper Hunter Valley.

The 35-year-old man was bitten on the nose and forehead at 12.15am (AEDT) on Tuesday at his property on Eldon Street, Aberdeen, an ambulance spokesman said.

The man reportedly kept a number of snakes in his home.

The man was flown to Newcastle's Calvary Mater hospital in the region's rescue helicopter.

He is in a serious but stable condition.

It is the seventh snake bite in the state since Thursday.

A four-year-old boy spent two days in hospital after being bitten by a suspected red belly black snake at Badgerys Creek, in western Sydney last Thursday.

On Sunday, paramedics treated five people in separate snake bite incidents around NSW.

The eastern brown is one of the world's most deadly snakes.

ABC News
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Yes, I have a lovely pink boa. Pale pink with varying shades of deeper pink. Very becoming.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I've got a picture from a trip to Miami with a yellow boa constrictor draped around me. Alcohol was involved, because I would never have a giant snake on me while sober.

I'm scared of snakes!!
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

I've had boas around my shoulders a couple of times (two that one time) and smaller snakes too. They feel very smooth, almost like velvet.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I have - my old neighbour from years ago had a boa that was approx 10ft long. I have a pictures somewhere of it draped across my neck and shoulders. I agree that the feel of their skin is not at all what you would expect, but the thing that fascinated me was the way you could feel the ripple of its muscles as it moved. It was a little unnerving as well, as you could feel just how much power was contained in it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

AND I am ashamed, yes very ashamed I live in a state that holds the yearly rattlesnake round up. They are supposed to be illegal because the idiots poured gas down the holes and killed off anything - including the indigo snake... but then again dog fighting is illegal too. So these drunked up idiots capture a rattlesnake and torture it, fry it and eat it. AND then bitch and moan because there are so many rats and mice running around.

Snakes are not a pet, they are a prisoner. The aren't bright enough to understand hey this dude thinks I'm cool so thats why I'm stuck in this tank, all they know is when is my next meal. Thats why they are on this earth, to eat crap.

As for how long a snake grows, thats open for debate. They say it's according to it's environment.

Anyone who keeps a snake is not doing the snake a favor.

AND finally a subject I know something about.. hot darn it's not politics.

We just did that in Thailand. No wait, those were pythons.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    AND I am ashamed, yes very ashamed I live in a state that holds the yearly rattlesnake round up. They are supposed to be illegal because the idiots poured gas down the holes and killed off anything - including the indigo snake... but then again dog fighting is illegal too. So these drunked up idiots capture a rattlesnake and torture it, fry it and eat it. AND then bitch and moan because there are so many rats and mice running around.

Snakes are not a pet, they are a prisoner. The aren't bright enough to understand hey this dude thinks I'm cool so thats why I'm stuck in this tank, all they know is when is my next meal. Thats why they are on this earth, to eat crap.

As for how long a snake grows, thats open for debate. They say it's according to it's environment.

Anyone who keeps a snake is not doing the snake a favor.

AND finally a subject I know something about.. hot darn it's not politics.
    Please explain how having a snake as a prisoner is any different than having a pet bird, fish, or hamster. Lots of pets live in cages like rabbits and ferrets. It doesn't mean they never get let out or that they feel like they are missing out on some exciting jungle nightlife.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i was 18, i was dared to pick up a snake (some medium snake, i dont know what kind). i picked it up, it coughed up two dead birds. That was the end of my snake holding life.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Please explain how having a snake as a prisoner is any different than having a pet bird, fish, or hamster. Lots of pets live in cages like rabbits and ferrets. It doesn't mean they never get let out or that they feel like they are missing out on some exciting jungle nightlife.
    We weren't talking about birds, fish, hamsters or lots of other pets. Mr.Bunny isn't going to grow big enough to eat the neighbors cat or dog, if he gets lose or his family no longer wants him and dumps him he's not going to get big enough to eat somebodys tot either.
    My real freak is having snakes that are not indigenous to the locality because they will breed and thrive in a warm climate if they get lose.

Somebodys pet snakes are now in the Florida Everglades ruining the eco system. They expect the Burmese pythons to move kind of like the killer bees did.

I like snakes, I respect snakes, they belong in the wild eating rats and mice. AND if your a Burmese python you don't belong in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    when i was 18, i was dared to pick up a snake (some medium snake, i dont know what kind). i picked it up, it coughed up two dead birds. That was the end of my snake holding life.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information