Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a dog outdoors?

Default Keeping a dog outdoors?

So, some of you may know of the problems I've been having with my dog. For those who don't, my husband and I separated and he kept our 1 year old Alaskan Malamute. Hubby is having real trouble coping with the dog (Jaz) because being a typical Mal she's a handful and a half. I would love to take her but i'm living with my parents at the moment and space is a bit of an issue. My folks also have an old deerhound who doesn't like Jaz, so they have to be kept apart.

My question is this: could I keep Jaz outside during the day when I'm not at home?

My folks have a large garden which although it's unfenced, I could pay for that to be done. They have two large sheds in the garden, and my mum has suggested that we convert one as a huge kennel for Jazzy during the day when I'm at work. Has anybody done this sort of thing? I'm just wondering what I'd need to do to the shed to make sure Jaz would be safe and secure. Since she's a mal, she has a great coat for surviving outdoors, so if it got cold it wouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking I could get a window or two put into the shed so that we could make sure she had ventilation during the summer, but I'm concerned that i might need to do more.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Depends how hot it gets outside in the summer. A mal doesn't handle heat well, they're arctic dogs
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A lot of people have dog runs, which is just basically a fenced in/gated area, usually along the side of the house, to keep their dogs in so they're not running amuck in the whole yard.

Similar to this:

A*O

Provided she has some shelter/shade from the searing Scottish summer heat (!) she should be OK. Think about whether she's likely to drive everyone nuts with barking and fussing when she gets bored?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

If she has never spent more than an hour outside, by herself...then no. She won't adjust well to this at all.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member

^^^that would be the argument for the barking collar. As many of you know, we lost the best dog that walked the earth one month ago tomorrow. It's so hard now with the 3 year old Lab because she so the opposite of The Lady Lab we lost. There was never any knocking down of small children, stealing off the counter, ripping up the garbage and in general being extemely disobedient. In all the years I've trained horses, no matter how often I was bitten or kicked, I never raised a hand to them. This particular dog, who is/was so dominant, the only way I could get her attention was the shock collar, which I was loathe to do. But in one week, there was no more issue.

Related question...how much exercise is the dog getting?
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I like your Mom's idea Karis. Makes sense. I know of two doggies that are kept outside while their owners work, both love it. One lab, one pekingese. Be sure she has toys-the pek plays with her assorted balls all day. The lab has toys,but is busy patrolling the yard & chasing birds away. This idea could solve all your problems! This would mean you could keep her!
    Oh-I also know of a basset hound that is an outdoor girl. Does fine.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Mu husky-chow insists on being out all day and he stays out 24/7 if we go away for the night. As for the heat, he even wants to stay outside every day in the summer when I'm not there. My fuzzy gets a short haircut every Spring (late April)and I usually have to cut him again in August. It has made a huge difference in how the heat has less impact on his energy, breathing, etc. He has lots of shade and I keep bowls of ice water in the shade. I force him to stay in if the temp gets above 87F or so, because the humid is soooo bad in VA.

Hope it helps!
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

our neighbors have a dog run for their dog, and while the dog loves it, he also barks like crazy at ANYTHING that moves. Once they got him a bark collar, he has settled down.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thanks for all the advice, you've given me a lot to think about! I'm looking into whether we'd be able to convert the shed and get a big run, or see if there's somewhere in the house she could be kept while I'm at work. My folks have said that come hell or high water i can keep her here, even if it means my dad taking her with him during the day while he works (he's a heating engineer, so he spends most of his time driving around in his van), so it's looking hopeful that she'll be able to stay with me.

I've got her for the weekend and we're trying hard to get her and my mum's dog Breagha to make friends. So far Breagha has done nothing but give Jaz in trouble for being a pain the arse hehe.

Zee

Good luck- that sounds like a wonderful start. We have two dogs that prefer to be outside during the day. As long as they have food, shelter and don't irritate the neighbors- it's all good. Mine go into our barn.

Hope she and Breagha get it all worked out.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I hope it works out, Kari.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

When I was growing up our family's German Shepherds were strictly outside dogs. But we lived on 3 acres with a fence and they had a nice big doghouse constructed by my dad with a flap for a door and doggie beds. Their doghouse was also in a shaded part of the yard right next to our tractor shed, which was huge and protected even more from cold wind in winter. On the other side was a huge tree that shaded the house in the summer. I think there were a handful of times the dogs got to sleep indoors when it really froze or they were sick or injured, but they thrived on cold weather, so as long as they had a decent and warmer place to sleep keeping them outdoors was not cruel in the least.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Well, Jaz out only be outside when I'm not home, which is usually only about 8.30-5.30 and I could zip home at lunch times to check on her so I think she'd be ok. That being said, the main problem with her is that when she gets bored she gets destructive, and she claws the doors wanting out. If I could think of some way to get her not to claw the doors she could quite happily stay in the kitchen or the porch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information