Thread: 1800petmeds.com - anyone use it?

Default 1800petmeds.com - anyone use it?

My dog is on a non-prescription supplement that I can only get from my vet. But I've found it on 1800petmeds.com.

I'm hesitant of buying medications via the internet- just worried about if the medications are genuine, not bootleg, etc.

And their Wiki isn't entirely favorable:
    In 1998, the Florida Pharmacy Board received several complaints against Petmeds alleging that the company had issued medications without a prescription from a veterinarian. The complaint was settled in 1999 with the FPB requiring Petmeds to pay a small fine without admitting any wrongdoing. The complaints involved the referral of prescription requests to an "alternate veterinarian," who had never had any contact with the pet (but who reviewed the petís medical history) after the pets' treating veterinarian declined to issue a prescription without supplying a medical reason for the refusal, thereby ignoring the judgment of a veterinarian who had a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship in favor of someone who had never seen the pet.

In 2002, Petmeds was charged by the Florida Pharmacy Board for "operating an 'alternate veterinarian program' that contracted with veterinarians to write prescriptions for animals they had never examined". PetMeds agreed to pay penalties and dismantle the program, plus serve three years of probation and community service. The company reached a similar agreement in Ohio, including five years' probation. In 2002, Petmeds was sued by the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners for similar issues to the Florida case. The suit was settled without any admission of wrongdoing.

In 2001, Petmeds and the United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ settled a "stop sales order" after Petmeds had sold flea control products that had been purchased outside of the United States and therefore gave their dosages in metric numbers. The maker of the misbranded product, Novartis, also sued Petmeds and other pharmacies over the issue.

In 2004, after the company went public, six securities lawsuits were brought against Petmeds by its shareholders, claiming that Petmeds had delayed disclosing past problems in order time to allow its executives, including founder Marc Puleo, to sell off their shares. PetMed always maintained that the suits were without merit and in 2005, all six suits were voluntarily dismissed by the plaintiffs
    Does anyone here buy their medications there? Any problems? Good reports?

I buy my dog's flea and heartworm meds there and I've never had an issue. Everything comes quickly and I've never suspected the products were not legit in any way. They usually have free shipping too.

czb

^^^ free shipping plus a dog biscuit.

never had a problem with them. and when i ordered prescription meds, i had to send them a copy of the script. don't know anything about the issue cited in wiki.

No problems here either. For a non-prescription med (I've bought Cosequin from them, a joint supplement made of glucosamine), my vet has said it's fine to buy online.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Elite Member

I've never had a problem with them, when I bought from there. I usually just bought flea and heartworm stuff from there.

Elite Member

In the last year before Lucy died, she was on everything from steroid injections to hypertension to incontinence drugs. I got them all from Pet meds and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    and when i ordered prescription meds, i had to send them a copy of the script.
    Yeah, my dog's heartworm meds are prescription and when I order I have to tell them who his vet is, so I think PetMeds must contact the vet to make sure the prescription is legit.

Bronze Member

I had ordered a prescriptive medicine called Metacam, from them, for my dog. They did have to verify it with my vet but I estimate I save about 35-40% on costs and have never had a problem with delivery.

Awesome! Thanks everyone, for the feedback- really appreciate it! I think I'm going to place an order tonight.

Thread Information