Thread: NZ teen kidnaps puppy to save it from euthanasia

Default NZ teen kidnaps puppy to save it from euthanasia

A New Zealand teenager faced legal action after he stole his own injured puppy from a clinic to save it from euthanasia when the family couldn’t afford expensive surgery after it was hit by a car. But it appears that the story will have a happy ending after all.

Bronson Stewart and his mum with five-month-old Buck

The public rallied to the plight of Bronson Stewart and five-month-old puppy Buck on Wednesday, raising money to save the dog by paying the bill, local media reported.

After Buck was hit by a car two weeks ago, neither Stewart, 19, nor his father Kevin could afford the $1,730 (Rs 80,420) for the puppy’s broken leg to be pinned back together or the $555 (Rs 25,800) for the leg to be amputated.

The family, which lives on welfare in Wanganui, instead offered to pay the veterinary clinic $3.50 a week, but the clinic declined. The veterinarian then refused to return the pup, saying it was best the little dog be euthanised because he was in agony.
    “I just knew I had to get my dog back. He’s like my brother,” Stewart told TV One. “They can’t just kill him because I haven’t got any money.”
    Stewart went to the clinic last Friday and asked to see Buck, grabbed the little dog and ran home.

New Zealand’s Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) then threatened the teenager with prosecution for cruelty unless he got veterinary care for the dog, which was suffering considerable pain.
    A determined Stewart said he would rather be put behind bars than see his dog put down.
    After the story was publicised, locals rallied to raise money for Buck. Wanganui SPCA manager Val Waters said they had fielded “hundreds” of calls from people offering donations. “The dog will be just fine,” Waters said.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/...uppy-Love.html

Well... that is why you should think "Can we afford a dog?" before you get a dog. But, if it was me, I would have grabbed my cat or dog too, I would sell a kidney if I had too.
    "Well isn't that special"

Awww, poor pup and poor kid. It's so nice to read about a teen trying to save an animal, instead of abusing them.

At least that doggy is loved.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information