Thread: Shiba Inu Puppy Cam

Default Shiba Inu Puppy Cam

Is anyone else watching them? I check in throughout the day, but I have yet to see them do anything but sleep.

They're so cute.

Shiba Inu Puppy Cam, Ustream.TV: Tune in daily to see the cutest Shiba Inu pups... EVER! The five Shiba Inu pups (3 boys and 2 girls) were born on S...

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I've just had a looks and they are all asleep Shiba Inu are so, so beautiful. However, after living with one for nearly three months I can say NEVER, EVER AGAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I've just had a looks and they are all asleep Shiba Inu are so, so beautiful. However, after living with one for nearly three months I can say NEVER, EVER AGAIN!!!
    Why do you say that? Are they hyper dogs?

They are... strong willed? This one was like a cross between Jack The Ripper and a three year old on amphetamines. They are not a dog that should be considered by an inexperienced or soft hearted dog owner, anyone with other, smaller animals (like cats or rabbits, etc) or small children. They don't tend to tolerate hugs/pulling and have a very strong "prey instinct" and will go after anything that moves, so letting them run free during exercise times is tricky and not recommended as you might not see it again until animal control have captured it and it has wreaked havoc. If something has their attention then you can call them until you lose your voice and be ignored until they decide they want to come back - which will be some time as they will always find something more interesting to do. They are incredibly strong willed and manipulative and can see attempts to discipline them as a direct challenge to their self-imposed authority and can react with aggression. Some will fight you for dominance of the household every single step of the way. Oh, and they get bored very, very easily and will trash anything within reach to relieve it and are damn hard to tire out.

These are just my experiences of living with one for a few months and (later) knowing someone who bred them. I know that lots of people completely adore the breed, but from my personal point of view I will repeat: NEVER, EVER AGAIN!!!!

Holy cow. Not my kinda dog!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

That sounds like a Siberian Husky I once owned. Very strong willed. Would go off to chase something and never come back. He did so much damage on his romps. He once got into a neighbor's pool, ran through her living room and pulled down her drapes. He was a dog from Hell. So I get the "Never Again!" sentiment.

The one I lived with was a nightmare. It had to be locked in the yard whenever anyone was eating or cooking as it would stand staring and growling at the person with the food, trashed the furniture, snapped and growled at anyone who tried to get past it when it decided that it was going to block access to a door/stairs and was generally very intimidating if it didn't get what it wanted. They have very powerful jaws in relation to their size and I don't want to think about what would have happened if the situation had continued as his behaviour was growing steadily worse. I have never been so glad to see the back of an animal in my life, and that was echoed by pretty much everyone else in the house.

I thought that it was just this particular mutt as I had never come across the breed before, but after meeting a breeder and later doing net research it seems that this aggressive and dominant behaviour is a character trait for Shibas and it takes a very strong and determined owner to cope with one.

Wow I have an elderly neighbor who has a Shiba and this dog is so smart and well behaved and adores its owner. He is a living doll. Ive never seen aggresion. He's 6 yrs old and has been with her for 4 yrs.

^^ Does this neighbour happen to live alone? I ask because there was only one person in my household of six that the dog actually showed any niceness/non-aggression to, and that was one of the other girls. He still wouldn't do shit that she told him to or back down when she commanded him, but she was the only one he never snarled/snapped at, even when she had to come and drag him away from where he (in one case) had one of us backed into a corner snapping and snarling because he wanted the food they were holding. As I said, pretty much everyone was glad to see the back of him, but this one girl was upset. However, his aggressive and domineering behaviour towards the rest of the household (guys and girls) meant that he had to go.

Yes she does live alone with one 10 yr old spoiled rotten cat. I pet sit often and he's very gentle with me. Breeds have certain traits but each dog has it's qualities and quirks. I have 2 shelties who have opposite personalties. Bloodline also plays an important part in a dog's personality.

Thread Information