Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dog can't stop scratching

Default My dog can't stop scratching

I've had my little rescue dog for just over two weeks. He is the sweetest little dog and we love him to bits. When we picked him up from the shelter, he had a flea infestation and his fur was matted quite badly.

I gave him flea treatment immediately (the type where you squeeze small drops onto the back of his neck) and have groomed him including two baths.

I give him small bits of cheese for snacks (the cheese was also great when I hid medication in it - he's off meds now) and he eats a combination of Hills Science Diet and cooked chicken with rice.

The problem is this - he scratches a great deal. It must be distressing for him. I'm calling the vet today and hope to get into see the vet in the next few days. In the meantime, can anybody give advice on how to help him?

Here is his picture:

What a cutie! Yes,see the vet. Could be several causes. Are you brushing him?
    I have some vague recollection about those flea drops not being good for some dogs. I know there is some type of flea dermatitis dogs can get. He needs a check up,for sure.
    PS-he looks like a different dog! Much happier.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

First...I just want to squeeze that little guy! Major adorableness. Scratching could be from allergies, my dog is on allergy meds and it somewhat alleviates the skin problems. There is also a thing called flea allergy dermatitis, it's when the dog is allergic to the saliva of the flea when they get bitten (EWW). Good luck, vet should help sort it out!
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

My dog (maltese mix) has this too, he has very sensitive skin. He's allergic to fleas and his skin gets irritated when his fur is wet. Some areas where skin touches skin, it gets all read and inflamed. Sometimes he gets these psoriasis-like patches that are flaky and red. Were quite sure he doesn't have a food allergy, but we have to be careful what we feed him, and we also use baby powder on him when his skin/fur is moist

Also, when the weather permits, we keep him shaved down. That helps alot.

Is it an option to shave your dog?

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I was lucky enough to get to see the vet today. But I swear, I've learnt more from this board about dog care than any book I'd be able to find. I can tell a lot of you are experienced pet owners who put some research into keeping your animals healthy. I remember many of you had some great advice when I felt like I was in over my head when we first brought Simba home (he comes from a very abusive background and is extremely scared and timid).

The vet had a look at Simba and said he had very dry skin that was probably due to his stressful life and poor nutrition that he'd endured before we adopted him. That made sense and I hope his diagnosis is correct - to get a more exact diagnosis, it's going to cost a fair bit of $$$$.

The vet recommended doggy oatmeal shampoo and conditioner. (They cost more than the shampoo and conditioner I use!!) He also instructed me to use fish oil when I feed him. He said to take fish oil vitamins (which I take anyway) and open one up and put it over his food (half to one tablet per day). When it comes to bathing Simba, I'm to use his oatmeal shampoo & conditioner every two weeks and I need to really get down to his skin (there is a lot of fluffy fur!) and massage the conditioner in. Every other week I just bathe him with the oatmeal conditioner. I don't think I'll need to shave him just yet, although that is an option.

Hopefully, this will fix him up. He's my beautiful baby!

I have no advice for you, so I just wish you good luck. What a cutie!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^Thanks

Fish oill !! My vet had recommended the same thing, and I found a giant bottle of them at the grocers-buy one get one free. Same pour over food. So,now we can work out a formula:
    My 20 pounder gets 1 capsule.
    My 50 pounder gets 2 capsules per day.
    How much does Simba weigh?
    This might help a lot of doggy owners! Maybe cat owners,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Simba weighs about 6-7 pounds! He is underweight and should weigh about 10 pounds.

I tried it on his food tonight and he ate it up, no problem. Let me know how your dog goes.

Oh-one other trick my sister just told me that works. I was putting my big doggy's pill in cheese too, but he would eat the cheese & somehow spit out the pill whole! She discovered if you put in in a bit of peanut butter, it goes right down. That is working perfectly for me.

Thanks McJag - will remember that one too.

My niece gave me her 3 year old yorkie, Joy. When I got her she scratched herself constantly. My niece also gave me all the different shampoos and stuff the vet had given her- I must have 9 or 10 different bottles of stuff she had tried.

When I got Joy, she had been eating Eukanuba. I feed my dogs Solid Gold dog food, which doesn't have preservatives or allergens. I gradually changed her to the Solid Gold food and bathed her in what I use on my dogs- Johnson's baby bath (pink) and my own infusium conditioner. Within a month, all her itchy lesions were gone. Don't know if it was the food or the shampoo or both, but it worked.

Last summer she got a flea and she was allergic. She was so miserable the vet even gave her some cortisone, and I gave her benadryl at night. One flea can set her off, so I now use a oral flea preventative for her during the summer months.

Good luck with your baby-such a cutie.

Elite Member

Try Dinovite or Flax seed oil. But introduce it gradually or he'll have diahrrea. I had better results with this than the fish oil, but every dog is different.

My dog is 6 years old and just in the last week started scratching all the time. Thinking about giving a Benadryl tonight.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I just started using Greenies Pill pockets and have not had any issues... Dogs have gotten smart about the cheese I think. It is safe to give benadryl; my vet said I could give it to the new puppy if he was still freaking out through the entire night. I noticed the baby gets a bit of doggy dandruff so I've been using earthbath Oatmeal and Aloe shampoo. It has made a difference in the past two weeks.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information