Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help.. Dog licking furniture and pillows obsessively!

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Default Help.. Dog licking furniture and pillows obsessively!

My 9 year old lab has recently started licking the chair upholstry and pillow obsessively.. to the point where they get soaked. This has only been going on for a couple of weeks and at first it didn't phase me but now I'm getting a little bit concerned.

Have any of you experienced this with your dogs?

I plan on calling the vet on Monday but just thought I'd see if anyone else has gone through this as well! Thanks!

Our golden retriever licks the carpet, the bed and pillows obsessively. I have no idea why she's doing it, but it doesn't bother me too much. It might just be an attention or being bored thing.

Ok..that makes me feel a little bit better. Macy is getting older and slowing down so I just didn't know if this was a symptom of something. Maybe she's just bored though!

Silver Member

My lab-shepherd did this. I swear he was part cat. He'd groom himself, then his surroundings. He even licked the varnish off "his" chair because he cleaned it so often. I never mentioned it to the vet because it was something he always did. But if it's a new behaviour it wouldn't hurt to call & ask.

My standard poodle sometimes does this. I noticed he occasionally does it just after he eats. Like he will sort of lick down the leather chair I am sitting in. If I tell him "no", he stops. I figured he was just tasting whatever was left on his tongue. He doesn't do it that much,though.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My dog will sit on my bed and lick his feet. Next thing you know he is licking the sheet. I have no idea why he does that.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Most of these dogs are large. I wonder if that has anything to do with this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Most of these dogs are large. I wonder if that has anything to do with this.
    My dog is a pug and does this.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    My dog is a pug and does this.
    But the other 4 are large size.

If your dog is getting old, it could be a problem with the eyesight. He may be seeing something like another animal instead of a pillow and grooming them? Just a guess, I have heard of similar issues to do with eyesight.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

A*O

I heard something about this on a radio vet show the other day. Basically it's canine OCD and it's a habit you have to break. This guy suggested finding a "naughty place" for the dog (laundry, bathroom, etc) and every time he/she does the compulsive licking put him in the "naughty place" for 20 mins. You have to be consistant but apparently they quickly break the habit.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I heard something about this on a radio vet show the other day. Basically it's canine OCD and it's a habit you have to break. This guy suggested finding a "naughty place" for the dog (laundry, bathroom, etc) and every time he/she does the compulsive licking put him in the "naughty place" for 20 mins. You have to be consistant but apparently they quickly break the habit.
    I guess mine is only a social licker!

Great! I have a German Shepherd with ADD and now a Lab with OCD. Just my luck!

I'll try this and see if it works..thanks!

Yes. An acquaintance has a lab that would compulsively eat the walls. It was a nightmare for them. Their vet said it was a form of OCD and prescribed Prozac for the dog.

put tobasco sauce on the chairs. not sure what to do with the pillows lol
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information