Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New baby might be mine tomorrow

Default New baby might be mine tomorrow

As some of you know, I lost my darling Ginger right before Christmas. She was 16 and had been with me since 8 weeks. She went from following me everywhere to gone in one week. I knew it had to come, and had a plan in mind. Christmas and my husbands bout with pneumonia kept us so busy we didn't have much time to grieve.
    Then came the awfulness. You know what I mean. My big standard poodle has been mopey. Never has he been an only dog-not even a minute. He loves to play chase. Even when Ginger was old, he would punch her with his nose. She couldn't chase him, but she would bark sharply. He would pretend to be scared (well-she was only 8 pounds worth) and run wildly,so they still had that game. Then nothing. He lost a couple of pounds. I lost a couple of pounds.
    So last week I started looking at shelters in my area. Last night I found him. I could not believe it. A 4 year old spaniel, just dropped off by his owners. No reason given. I fell in love. Tomorrow, I go to see him and maybe bring him home. They are holding him for 24 hours. My vet says Bogey can't go, that he might catch something. Doesn't matter-Bogey never met a dog he didn't like.
    There is one potential show stopper: the vet wants to see him right after, his breed is prone to heart problems. Says he can tell right off if this little guy is healthy. If not, I'll have to return him. Can't go through this heartbreak again. I will be too excited to sleep. Wish me luck and give me advice. Did you get a shelter dog? How did it go? What things worked, what do you wish you had tried,etc. Tell me straight. I have always bought from a good breeder, but there are too many good dogs that need a loving home. I am nervous. Help!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I've only had one shelter dog, but she lived to be about 14 and she was a purebred beagle. The most memorable pet of my life!

It's good to be informed--once the vet tells you about her health, have fun with your new baby! Post photos!
    Things fall apart. It's scientific.

I wish you & and the doggie all the luck possible.
    Only ever had one dog from a shelter, was not a purebred, but she was the most strenuous/healthy creature imaginable. Lived with us for at least 11 years.

I don't have a shelter dog, but close friends do. They got them as puppies. They were both mixes that were owned by people who didn't know how to care for dogs, and were a little vicious and needed a firm training hand. Training probably won't be a issue with yours, though, since the dog is older.

Hope things go well and that you have a new addition to the family soon!

Thank you-I have my finger crossed ao tight. I hope this works out.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Aww. I hope the all clear is given to him health wise so you can bring him home to be a part of your family. I'll be sending good vibes your way in hopes that everything turns out ok.

Elite Member

I have adopted several pets through the Humane Society, etc, without regret. They have all been wonderful pets!!

Good luck to you and your new best friend!

Good luck! I had a shelter dog who was a few years old when we get him. Sadly he was put to sleep last year as he was getting old and sick But he was my boy and he loved me to bits, he followed me wherever I went. I still can't bear to put his toys away. So, shelter dogs can be so loyal, regardless of their last home. I hope he's lucky enough to have you as his owner and you have lots of happy years together. Keeping everything crossed!
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Awww! I am happy for you! I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I always love hearing about adult pets that get adopted!
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Good luck - am thinking of adopting some babies myself from a shelter.

One shelter here says they received 22 dogs YESTERDAY! Thet are over run.

I love my shelter dog! She is a pure mutt but the most gentle loving dog. She has saved the kids from wasp and stays right with them watching over them when they are out playing, I've had her 6yrs and she was an older dog when i got her
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I have gotten 3 cats over the years from our local shelter, including my current cat. She was also 4 yrs old when we adopted her and she is just the best! We all love her so much.

Good luck McJag and hope your baby fits in your household and everything goes smooth!

I have butterflies. This seems like a looong morning. We can't see him until 1pm. Good thing-the roads are a mess. Very cold. Think I will take a lap robe to wrap him in.

All my cats are shelter/barn/stray specimens. They are the best. I'd take them over some overpriced purebred fussy hairball any old time. I'm excited for you McJag - best to you!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information