Thread: The dog that was just for Christmas

Default The dog that was just for Christmas

Looking into his sheepish eyes it's hard to imagine why anyone wouldn't want him after Christmas.
    But this seven-week-old Dachshund puppy is just one of thousands of pets who have been abandoned by their owners after the festive period.
    Held by Kennel assistant Maxine Elson, he is waiting along with dozens of his canine friends for a new owner at the Cheshire Dogs Home in Warrington.

Unloved: This seven-week-old Dachshund cross puppy is waiting to be rehomed

Pick me: Kennel assistant Maxine Elson holds the puppy. There has been a surge in the number of abandoned pets over the Christmas period

Record numbers of pets have been handed over to kennels and local councils this December.
    It comes as animal charities say fewer people are adopting cats and dogs this year because of the recession - leaving them with little space to take on more strays.
    The recent surge of abandoned pets is being put down to people changing their minds about keeping their Christmas presents when they realise the cost involved.

Max a two year old Border Collie is one of the many dogs that were abandoned pets over the festive period

Manchester Dogs Home took in 108 dogs in December, while in Worcestershire, 60 cats and 35 dogs were abandoned across the county during the same period.
    The RSPCA received across the south-west of England 22 dogs and 11 cats on Christmas Day alone.
    Animal charity PDSA, which helps families struggling to pay their veterinary bills, said it has seen a sharp rise in the number of people needing their help and animals abandoned.

The recession has led to a rise in abandoned dogs, like this cross Labrador, as families struggle with vet bills

PDSA spokesman Deryck Wilson said: 'We've seen a real surge in the number of people needing help or who are unable to keep their pet financially.
    'As incomes have fallen, families have had to make tough decisions and pets have lost out. But there is help out there and they don't have to abandon these animals.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1240589/The-dog-WAS-just-Christmas---thousands-pets-abandoned-festive-season-ends.html#ixzz0bhU36JQG

fgg

if only i was responsible enough to take care of a little doggy! they are so adorable & it's heartbreaking.

Poor babies. It breaks my heart looking at their sad little faces.

Horrible, it's like a pet Holocaust.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Our former dog was one of these. Her name was Christmas when we got her. Fortunately she answered to 'Chrissie'. Sweetest girl.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

Beautiful dogs. Wish I could have them all.
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

People are heartless!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I wish I could adopt them all. They all have such sweet hearts and want to love.

Things would have to be so desperate before I could willingly give my dog up, and even then I'd try and scrape something up for him before I'd let him go.

Two dogs are enough.. You can't get another dog.. Puppy breath.

Poor darlings..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Awww. I hate these stories.
    I'm not allowed to go to the RSPCA after Xmas, because I try to rescue them all.
    I just don't understand how people could do this...
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

I would love to have acres of land and just adopt them all... It's sad that this economy is bringing people to this. I read an article about tons of people abandoning their dogs(even dogs they've had for years ) because of the costs and the recession. So sad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

If I had to be homeless, I would still keep my dog! That would be my key to sanity.

^ Me too! Even if we all had to share a bowl of the cheapest cat chow. They'd still be with me.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Our former dog was one of these. Her name was Christmas when we got her. Fortunately she answered to 'Chrissie'. Sweetest girl.
    Good on you, Twitchy.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Thread Information