Thread: Battle to save tigers intensifies with only 3,200 left on Earth

Default Battle to save tigers intensifies with only 3,200 left on Earth

Efforts to save the tiger from extinction will be stepped up this year after the World Wide Fund for Nature placed the animal at the top its list of the most endangered species.

Conservationists say there are only 3,200 tigers left on earth

Conservationists say there are just 3,200 tigers left in the world as the future of the species is threatened by poachers, destruction of their habitat and climate change.
    The world population of tigers has fallen by 95 per cent in the past century.

The WWF said it intends to intensify pressure to save the Panthera tigris by classifying it as the most at risk on its roster of 10 critically endangered animals.
    It hopes to increase patrols and work with politicians to eradicate poaching and thwart illegal trade of tiger skins and body parts.
    The wildlife charity also aims to work with governments to encourage more responsible forest management and compensation for farmers whose livestock are killed by tigers to avoid them being hunted.
    Diane Walkington, head of species programme for the WWF in Britain, said: "This year has been designated the International Year of Biodiversity by the United Nations and so we have created a list of 10 critically important endangered animals that we believe will need special monitoring over the next 12 months.
    "This year will also be the Chinese Year of the Tiger, and so we have put it at the top of our list. It will have special iconic importance.
    "Of course, there are thousands of other species on the endangered list. However, there is particular importance in selecting a creature such as the tiger for special attention.
    "To save the tiger, we have to save its habitat – which is also home to many other threatened species.
    "So if we get things right and save the tiger, we will also save many other species at the same time."
    Also on the WWF's endangered list are bluefin tuna, whose population has been devasted by overfishing, and leatherback turtles which are slaughtered by fishing vessels.
    The polar bear, whose polar ice hunting ground is melting through climate change, also makes the top 10, as does the mountain gorilla, whose population has fallen to just 720 in the wild amid poaching and deforestation.
    Tiger numbers have dwindled due to a combination of activities by humans.
    Demand for their skins, still regarded as luxury items in some countries, has left them at the mercy of poachers who have increasingly targeted the animals. The threat is compounded by the market for their body parts, which are deemed to hold medicinal properties in some cultures.
    Poachers also hunt many species which are tigers’ prey, diminishing their natural food supply, and forcing them to attack farmers’ livestock instead.
    At the same time, destruction of forests for timber, agriculture and road building has forced tigers into ever smaller areas where they are increasingly vulnerable.
    Climate change also poses a growing threat – 70 per cent of the Bengal tiger’s remaining habitat in the Sunderbans mangrove forest may be lost within 50 years due to rising sea levels.
    Of its nine main subspecies, three – the Bali, Caspian and Java tigers – are now extinct, while there has been no reliable siting of a fourth, the South China tiger, for 25 years.
    Only the Bengal, Amur, Indo-Chinese, Sumatran and Malayan tigers remain but their the numbers have been reduced to a few hundred per species, save the Bengal and Indo-Chinese.

Battle to save tigers intensifies with only 3,200 left on Earth - Telegraph

wutttt? only 3,200 left?!!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I hate poachers. So sad when you read how the numbers of these animals have gone down.

poachers need to be shot. poor tigers.
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

It's the weirdos who think tigers' balls and tigers' spleen, or whatever tiger parts, will give them virility/health that need to be shot first. Because without them the poachers wouldn't be hunting tigers.

And a big EW to people who have skins of tigers. Just gross.

Sad,sad,sad.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Aww no..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

that is crazy, only 3200 left of this magnificent animal?

Wow. That is a shocking number. I had no idea.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

There's a horrifying thought - the next several generations might be brought into the world only being able to read about tigers, mountain gorillas and polar bears. How sad is that.

Very sad to think that such a small number still exist. It's hard to comprehend that they are that close to gone. I think poachers and people who deal in illegal animal trade should be dealt with more harshly.

Happy trails to you...until we meet again.
    I love & miss you Dad.

This is interesting, it says there are 5,000 in captivity in the U.S.:

WWF - Press Release - Flawed U.S. Regulations Make Tigers in Captivity Vulnerable, New Report Shows

That's a lot of tigers in zoos. Except for that one that had to be killed in the San Francisco zoo because two turds were harrassing it and it lept out of its cage to attack.

Where are those animal liberation extremists when you need them? They need some guerilla squads out there to take care of the poachers.

I actually teared up over this one. Terrible.

Thread Information