Thread: TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) saves lives!

Default TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) saves lives!

Just got my ASPCA Advocacy Newsletter and thought this was useful. I know some of you feed and care for stray cats!

I don't know what the situation is on feral cat colonies where you live, but it's a big issue in FL. Good news is we are seeing more and more low/no-cost trap, neuter and return programs to cut down on overpopulations. They also have these vans that will go into lower income areas that can't afford to spay and neuter cats (and dogs), so they offer it for free.

From http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...me=cruelty_tnr:

What You Can Do

- Start in your own backyard. If you feed outdoor cats, trap them and have them spayed or neutered.

- Contact local shelters or welfare groups to see if a TNR workshop is available in your area.

- Offer your help to colony caretakers. Ongoing needs including feeding, trapping, transportation to and from the veterinarian, temporary housing for cats after surgery, and fostering and socializing kittens for the purpose of finding them good homes.

- Help raise funds for local or national TNR groups.

- Do what you do best. If you can write, volunteer to draft proposals to local governments and potential sponsors or create promotional material. Write letters to the editors of local papers about the cats in your community. If you enjoy networking, make contacts for TNR with local veterinarians and businesses. Lobby government officials about the benefits of TNR.

Default Re: TNR (Trap, Neuter, Return) saves lives!

Do you have any no-kill shelters by you? Or a local ASPCA? If I can't do anything to help a cat or dog, I usually call one of them. I don't trust the Humane Society as far as I can throw them!

For other animals, we have a Wildcare Center that's really good about helping. I brought an injured duck over there once and they were able to fix him up and re-introduce him to the wild!

People should tattoo or better yet, microchip their pets. Vets usually do it when they neuter or spay. It costs about $25 and is well worth it. A vet or pound will just scan the animal and if a chip is there, it will have the owner's information. If it's out of date, that's another story, but any responsible pet owner should ID their pet somehow. Even indoor animals can get out and get lost.

Wtf is feline AIds?

And for some reason, the deck in my backyard is the prime sunning spot for the neighborhood cats.. friendly things, rolling around, meowing, enjoying the sun. The annoying thing is, they'll try to get in your house if you open the door in front of them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gold Member

I did that for a feral kitty in my neighborhood and I used to take care of her. She's been missing for two months. She was so cute. The vet clipped the tip of her ear so everyone would know she was fixed.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

My parents once did that with the neighbour's dog. It really does help curb agression and roaming. The dog was always over at our house fighting with our dogs as well as chasing and killing livestock. The man refused to have his dog neutered because he saw it as a threat against his own masculinity. (The kind of guy who is deathly concerned that his kid might be a sissy.) He could never prove who did it!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Sorry Frank, I saw this late...most Humane Societies I know are kill shelters. And our local Humane Society has this young professional group, called PetSet, that is more about whoring themselves to get business than they are about caring for animals. So in general, I just don't trust them.

I got two of my cats from a really small shelter that partnered up with PetSmart. I got my bunny from a wildcare center that takes in hurt and abandoned animals that aren't cats or dogs. I'd just rather support a local group than a big national one - I think the mom and pop stores need it more.

Thread Information