Thread: Lion, tiger and bear form unlikely band of 'brothers'

Default Lion, tiger and bear form unlikely band of 'brothers'

They make an unlikely trio, but Baloo the bear, Leo the lion and Shere Khan the tiger have forged an unusually strong bond.
    Considering that they would be mortal enemies if they ever were to meet in the wild, it is stunning to see their unique and genuine friendship in these intimate pictures.
    Rescued eight years ago during a police drugs raid in Atlanta, Georgia, the three friends were only cubs at the time at barely two months old.

Jungle japes: Shere Khan the tiger, Leo the lion and Baloo the bear all live together in a specially-built enclosure at Noah's Ark Animal Rescue Centre, in Georgia, USA

They had been kept as status symbol pets by the drug barons.
    Delivered to the Noah's Ark Animal Rescue Centre in Locust Grove, Georgia, the decision was made to keep the youngsters together, because of their budding rapport.
    'We could have separated them, but since they came as a kind of family, the zoo decided to keep them together,' said Diane Smith, assistant director of Noah's Ark.
    'To our knowledge, this is the only place where you'll find this combination of animals together.'
    Living with the zoo's founders for the past eight years, Shere Khan, Baloo and Leo have now moved to a purpose-built habitat were the US public can now witness first hand their touching relationships.

Best friends: The three beasts have been kept together since they were rescued from drug barons when they were just two months old

'We didn't have the money to move them at first,' said Diane.
    'Now their habitat is sorted and they have been moved away from the children's zoo areas where the public couldn't really get a good look.
    'It is possible to see Baloo, who is a 1000lb bear, Shere Khan, a 350lb tiger and Leo, who is also 350lbs, messing around like brothers.
    'They are totally oblivious to the fact that in any other circumstance they would not be friends.'
    Handled by Charles and Jama Hedgecoth, the zoo's owners and founders, the three friendly giants appear to have have no comprehension of their animal differences.
    'Baloo and Shere Khan are very close,' says Diane.
    'That is because they rise early, and as Leo is a lion, he likes to spend most of the day sleeping.
    'It is wonderful and magical to see a giant American Black Bear put his arm around a Bengal and then to see the tiger nuzzle up to the bear like a domestic cat.
    'When Leo wakes up the three of them mess around for most of the day before they settle down to some food.'

Larking about: Noah's Ark owner Charles Hedgecoth enjoys a visit with Baloo and Shere Khan

Surprisingly for three apex predators with the power to kill with a single bite or swipe of their paw, they are very relaxed around each other.
    'They eat, sleep and play together,' said Jama.
    'As they treat each other as siblings they will lie on top of each other for heat and simply for affection.
    'At the moment they are getting used to their new habitat.
    'Shere Khan is being quite reticent about the move, but Baloo, the bear is very good at leading him on and making him feel comfortable and safe.'
    Explaining that the three 'brothers' have always seemed to share a unique bond, Charles said: 'Noah's Ark is their home and they could not possibly be separated from each other.
    'You just have to remember who you're dealing with when you are with them though.
    'It's when you forget that these fellows are wild animals that you get yourself in trouble.'
    The trio's new habitat cost an estimated £15,000 and had to be constructed carefully, in order to accommodate its occupants.
    Jama said: 'The clubhouse had to be very sturdy for the guys, because they all sleep in it together,'
    She added: 'We had to include a creek, because the tiger and the bear both like to be in water.'

Close: The animals treat each other as siblings and even lie on top of each other to share warmth and affection

Read more:

Dark Side of the Moon

Awww! The three of then are so cute together. That pic with the bear with his arm around the tiger, so sweet!
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Dude... I wouldn't wanna be the guy in that photo. I don't care how domesticated they are, I'd still not go near them.
    They are cute together though.

Amazing! I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the pictures. The picture of the bear with it's paw around the tiger is precious.

Aw that's sweet.
    "Well isn't that special"

Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!

Oh my.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

This is so great! So glad they were kept together and I love the name of this place.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

exiled and ostrich sized

Their facebook page has more pics, including some really cute baby pictures.

Noah's Ark Club House | Facebook
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

In the "D"

This is just so amazing, but see - if you're raised together from birth, you don't develop the same prejudices you do otherwise. Your enemies aren't the same.

Wow. Feels like Noah's ark!!!

Amazing! Thanks for sharing...

Over the hills and far away

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Oh my.
    Haha, I thought the same thing.

Elite Member

I love big cats. The bear is cute and all, but I like the cats.

Dam that lion needs to go on a diet

Thread Information