Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever hit a deer/other large animal with your car?

Default Ever hit a deer/other large animal with your car?

Ugh! I was on my way to work last night on a dark road and a deer came out of nowhere and I hit it going about 45mph. It was thrown up on my windshield(I thought for sure it was going to come through it) but it bounced off the windshield with a thud. My car suffered front end damage- mostly cosmetic, and it is a 95 anyway and has it's share of previous damage anyway, so not such a big deal there. It did bend my hood some, but it still closes and locks.

I went and checked the deer. It was in the ditch, and it was laying on it's side..the damaged side..so it looked ok. It was actually beautiful, laying there, very healthy looking, plump, perfect hide, and a beautiful dark eye looking up at me. Dead.

I HATE that this happened. The most I have ever hit was a squirrel, and this thing was over 100 lbs. It was so beautiful too. shit.

The worst thing is that I now have an idea of what it would be like to hit an actual person...about the same size. That idea is haunting.

R.I.P. poor deer in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I'm sorry, that's so awful.

R.I.P., poor deer.

I'm too sad to crack an Effie joke right about now.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

I'm glad you're okay, Soj. People hit deer here all the time - it's deer country. Plus, it's deer season here right now, so you have people shooting them out of the damn woods and they get in the road. A company is clearing a lot of land behind my parent's house, and the deer are constantly just coming up in their front yard and will run out in front of your car when you come up their damn driveway. It's crazy.

As sad as it is to say, it's probably best that you hit it rather than trying to dodge it. Your insurance company will treat it differently than if you had a wreck trying to avoid the deer. Plus, a lot of people end up hitting someone else and hurt even worse. And resist the impulse to drive off the pavement and into the grass, because after your wheels leave the pavement, you have a lot less control over your car and can end up hitting a tree or flipping if you overcorrect.

Soj-these things just will happen. I am sorry. At least it was a quick merciful end.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Glad you are ok. I can't imagine how frightening that would be. Cold comfort that the deer died and wasn't by the side of the road suffering. I'm such an animal person, can't imagine how anyone could shoot such a beautiful creature. The biggest thing I've ever hit was a pigeon and it scared the shit out of me (probably the pigeon too!). I had feathers sticking out of my hood, it was disgusting.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Hit By Ban Bus!

So sorry Soj. I know it's heartbreaking, just be thankful you didn't end up in the hospital like my aunt did after hitting one.

Where I grew up, my Paw Paw fed them leftover cornbread every day to keep them out of his gardens. They were so accustomed to us we would frequently see them in the section of property between the gardens and the yard even when we were outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I'm glad you're okay, Soj. People hit deer here all the time - it's deer country. Plus, it's deer season here right now, so you have people shooting them out of the damn woods and they get in the road. A company is clearing a lot of land behind my parent's house, and the deer are constantly just coming up in their front yard and will run out in front of your car when you come up their damn driveway. It's crazy.

As sad as it is to say, it's probably best that you hit it rather than trying to dodge it. Your insurance company will treat it differently than if you had a wreck trying to avoid the deer. Plus, a lot of people end up hitting someone else and hurt even worse. And resist the impulse to drive off the pavement and into the grass, because after your wheels leave the pavement, you have a lot less control over your car and can end up hitting a tree or flipping if you overcorrect.
    I only have liability insurance so I do not think it is covered, right? The car is too old to insure for anything else.

I did swerve a bit(no other cars in sight) so it would hit more at an angle, and if it went through the windshield it would have gone into the passenger section. But it was so quick there was no avoiding it, going off the road, etc. It was pitch black country road darkness, and I had no time to do anything. And hitting it was better than going in a ditch or a rollover or something. It just sucks though.

This is the 'country' here, so the bystanders and Highway Patrol just joked about the deer. I hate having killed one. It was such a beautiful, robust looking deer. They are such beautiful animals. Too bad they get crazy this time of year and are overpopulating the place.

I am going to be freaking paranoid about driving at night now until the deer-crazy-season is over.

There were two great big ones lying by the road the other day, dead, hit by cars. The one I hit last night was gone this morning. For some reason, I just never thought I would hit one. ?

Hittting anything large(like a hundred pounds, or human sized) and having it crash up onto your windshield and all is just very disturbing.

*and of course the Highway Patrol (as is customary) has to ask, "do you want it/want to keep it?"

NOOOO! What am I going to do, haul it out of the ditch, stick it in the back seat, and leave it there overnight till I could get home and butcher it? *shudder*

Did you have redneck walk up to you picking his teeth with a toothpick and ask,"You gonna eat that or can I have it?"

That happened to me and I told him have at it. At least he made sure it was dead and well...you know...it didn't go to waste.

A*O

Looks like some mofo put it in their freezer before you got the chance Soj. Circle of life and all that...
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

ummm i think i'm a redneck because the first thing i wanted to ask when i came into the thread is 'are you going to eat it?'. venison is yummy.
    poor deer and all - and poor soj! that must have been traumatising. but that said, no reason to let all that delicious venison go to waste...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Looks like some mofo put it in their freezer before you got the chance Soj. Circle of life and all that...
    Well I was talking with someone earlier...and they said that the local law enforcement agencies actually have a waiting list of people who want to come and pick up the dead deer carcasses. The cop told me they would call someone..that they had a list. But I did not know that people are literally scrambling to get their hands on road kill deer. damn.

The only time I have ever been so close to a deer was as a child....at a petting zoo. I kind of feel like I killed Bambi's mom or something. It was a beautiful deer. But you are right. Such is life, I guess. At least it did not suffer, or starve to death or something.

This is a huge fear of mine. It's my first fall/winter in rural Virginia, and I've never been so scared to drive in all my life. I pass a minimum 2-3 dead deer a day on my way to and from work. I live in fear of hitting one. Seeing the dead ones breaks my heart.

I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    This is a huge fear of mine. It's my first fall/winter in rural Virginia, and I've never been so scared to drive in all my life. I pass a minimum 2-3 dead deer a day on my way to and from work. I live in fear of hitting one. Seeing the dead ones breaks my heart.

I'm glad you weren't hurt.
    I never thought this would happen to me because I did not live in a rural area until two years ago.

All I could think after it happened was "Thank God it did not go through the windshield!" I remember very vividly how helpless I felt when I hit it and it came hurtling up and I just moved to the left in my seat and braced for it to come through the glass...all in just a second.

Glad you're OK Soj - those MF can kill a driver!

Deer are a pest somewhere in the UK, they eat everything (like rabbits but taller), but yes, they're lovely looking things, ue to their spindly little legs, and Bambi (the film) didn't help our perception of them.

*hugs* Sorry about your car too.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Well I was talking with someone earlier...and they said that the local law enforcement agencies actually have a waiting list of people who want to come and pick up the dead deer carcasses. The cop told me they would call someone..that they had a list. But I did not know that people are literally scrambling to get their hands on road kill deer. damn.
    There is a road kill call list around here too. It's mostly people who can't afford groceries right now and depend on road kill to eat. It's very sad when you think about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information