Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 things your pet shouldn't eat

Default 8 things your pet shouldn't eat

Don't Feed These to Fido
    You may share your backyard and even your bed, but it's probably best to avoid sharing a meal with man's best friend, or any other pet for that matter. Listed here, from most (1) to least (8) dangerous, are common foods and drinks that make pets sick. If you think your dog, cat, or bird has consumed one of these items and you are concerned, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435).

1. Chocolate
    Why: Stimulates the nervous system and the heart.
    Poisonous to: All species, but dogs are most likely to eat dangerous quantities.
    Possible effects of poisoning: Vomiting, increased thirst, restlessness, agitation, increased or irregular heartbeat, increased body temperature, tremors, seizures.

2. Grapes, Raisins
    Why: Damage the kidneys.
    Poisonous to: Dogs, cats.
    Possible effects of poisoning: Increased thirst, increased urination, lethargy, vomiting.

3. Garlic, Onions
    Why: Damage red blood cells, causing anemia.
    Poisonous to: Cats, dogs.
    Possible effects of poisoning: Vomiting, red-colored urine, weakness, anemia.

4. Xylitol
    (Found in sugarless gum.)
    Why: Causes increased insulin secretion, resulting in lower blood sugar levels.
    Poisonous to: Dogs.
    Possible effects of poisoning: Vomiting, lethargy, lack of coordination, seizures, jaundice, diarrhea.

5. Alcoholic Drinks
    Why: Depress the nervous system.
    Poisonous to: All species.
    Possible effects of poisoning: Vomiting, disorientation, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of coordination, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma, seizures.

6. Raw Yeast, Bread Dough
    Why: Forms gas in the digestive track; fermentation of yeast causes alcohol poisoning.
    Poisonous to: All species, but only dogs typically ingest it.
    Possible effects of poisoning: Distention of abdomen, vomiting, disorientation, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of coordination, difficulty breathing, tremors, coma, seizures.

7. Macadamia Nuts
    Why: Cause muscle and nervous-system problems.
    Poisonous to: Dogs.
    Possible effects of poisoning: Vomiting, lethargy, weakness, increased body temperature, tremors.

8. Avocados
    Why: Contain persin, which damages the heart muscle.
    Poisonous to: Most species―birds are especially sensitive.
    Possible effects of poisoning: Vomiting, diarrhea (in dogs), lethargy, difficulty breathing (in birds and rodents).
    8 Things Your Pet Shouldn't Eat - Just Dreaming - Your Life - MSN Lifestyle

and here's something i know cats should not eat - MILK. unlike what most people think, it makes them sick!
    it makes them suffer from diarrhea and if they consume it for days they can get dehydrate.

Last edited by autumn; November 13th, 2009 at 09:31 AM.

This is good to know. I did not know about macadamia nuts.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

the other day I was at a pet store and they gave me a sample of some supposedly higher quality dog food and it had garlic in it. I was like WTF, cause I had heard it wasn't good for pets, but then I wonder why the hell they put it in the food?
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Well our family black lab ate my entire Easter basket(full of Reese's) 3 years in a row and never got sick...I guess all dogs react differently!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

i think this is pretty well known by pet owners. I got these on a frig magnet from the SPCA.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    Well our family black lab ate my entire Easter basket(full of Reese's) 3 years in a row and never got sick...I guess all dogs react differently!
    Our lab ate a whole chocolate bunny and a whole box of Hostess Ding Dongs and never got sick either. Maybe it reacts more with small dogs?

I was under the impression (from several breeders in a dog club we belong to) that dogs are allergic to BAKING chocolate, not regular chocolate. IDK

My female Vizsla (just died recently) was a piece of work. She would eat ANYTHING. One time I was making pot roast and their (her and my male Vizsla) favorite "good" treat were raw baby carrots, which is part of the pot roast. So I would always buy extra baby carrots whenever I was making something because they would just eat as many as I was willing to give them. This one time I dropped an entire (whole) peeled white onion (they're huge) on the floor and my female leaped over to it before I even had a chance to get to it ... and started chomping down. I thought it was hysterical ... that dog would truly eat anything. It wasn't until later that night when I told my sister (who is a vet tech) what happened that I learned onions are harmful to dogs. Apparently, not my dog ... she ate the entire onion (it was bigger than a softball) and was fine, and actually looking for MORE.

Josie used to eat a food that had avocado in it. Avoderm.

Snickers has eaten/drank all of the above with the exception of macadamia nuts and xylitol... he's never had any adverse reactions... and he's a pretty small dog. Strange.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

My cats were responsible for demolishing half a large pan of bolognese that was accidently left unattended and suffered no ill effects, in spite of the fact that when I make it you'd better loooove onions and garlic a whole lot. Mind you, one also ate all the leaves and tiny blossoms on a bonsai tree I'd spent months nurturing to health from being a sickly stump and didn't even have the good grace to get the squits.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Josie used to eat a food that had avocado in it. Avoderm.
    my dog still eats that. far as I know its a good dog food. I wonder if this article is talking about WHOLE avocados. Maybe the pit has arsenic in it like peach pits, or the skin is bad for the dog?

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    My cats were responsible for demolishing half a large pan of bolognese that was accidently left unattended and suffered no ill effects, in spite of the fact that when I make it you'd better loooove onions and garlic a whole lot.
    Thats funny! For some reason, every single dog I've ever had goes absolutely nuts when we're eating or making Italian food. Ive always thought it was the garlic because garlic bread seems to be like manna from heaven to my dogs. and they've all eaten some in various amounts with no ill effects.

ETA- I was mostly right about avocados- the article says the main problem is persin:
    Persin is a fungicidal toxin present in the avocado, isolated only recently.[1] It is generally harmless to humans, but when consumed by domestic animals in large quantities it is dangerous. It has been suggested as a treatment for breast cancer.[2]
    The chemistry of persin is not yet understood, but it is similar to a fatty acid, carried in an oil, and it leaches into the body of the fruit from the pits. Negative effects in humans seem to be primarily in allergic individuals.
    Persin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The NIH article seems to blame it mostly on avocado leaves:
    Isolation and identification of a compound from av... [Nat Toxins. 1995] - PubMed result

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    i think this is pretty well known by pet owners. I got these on a frig magnet from the SPCA.
    wrong. i have two small dogs right now and have had dogs since ever and i had no idea about anything but the chocolate. no stupid vet even bother mentioning these foods. same for all the cats ive had. i knew about the milk thing accidently when i gave a my cat milk (seems so natural for a cat to drink milk) and then took him to the vet and she said its not healthy for them. since then i tell everyone i know about this and NONE of them knew milk is bad for cats, even animals lovers i talked to.

this should be taught in school or something. or at least be a huge sigh in the vets office.

It's odd, but alot of vets either disagree or just plain don't know about many of these. I had one vet who gave me a recipe for home made dog food containing garlic, and another (24 hr emergency vet) who I called frantically after my carnage dog got into my handbag and ate my chewing gum, terrified she'd get Xylitol poisoning, and he said there were worse things the dog could eat, all that would happen is that she would have fresh breath for the night!!
    Mine's also eaten chocolate ... I think the ones like that are, depending on the dog, long term ingestion related, but macadamias and grapes / raising are pretty bad in even small doses (I've been told even a few raisins or macadamias can be fatal...)

I prefer to err on the side of caution and keep them away, my dog gets into enough trouble just by being a bit 'special' in the head without taking any extra risks.

Apparently apple seeds are bad too - they have arsenic in them like the peach pits that Cali mentioned.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    my dog still eats that. far as I know its a good dog food. I wonder if this article is talking about WHOLE avocados. Maybe the pit has arsenic in it like peach pits, or the skin is bad for the dog?

Thats funny! For some reason, every single dog I've ever had goes absolutely nuts when we're eating or making Italian food. Ive always thought it was the garlic because garlic bread seems to be like manna from heaven to my dogs. and they've all eaten some in various amounts with no ill effects.

ETA- I was mostly right about avocados- the article says the main problem is persin:

The NIH article seems to blame it mostly on avocado leaves:
    Isolation and identification of a compound from av... [Nat Toxins. 1995] - PubMed result
    I think it's excellent food. Josie loves it. I think it smells really good, too. We switched her because she's getting a little chunky!!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Well, this evening I found one of my cats (the bonsai/bolognese muncher) nomming her way through a jaffa cake biscuit, chocolate and all. I swear, she must have a cast iron constitution as there is very little the fat little bastard will not eat. She's also a big fan of curry, toast, pasta, cheese, tomato, cucumber and if you give her a frozen pea she's in heaven for ages playing with it until it defrosts enough to eat it. Oh, and I knew not to give cats 'ordinary' milk, but mine won't touch the special lactose free stuff for cats. I only found out after I shelled out for some as a treat for them. Damn stuff cost at least 5 times as much as dairy milk, oz for oz, and they sniffed it and wandered off with a look of disgust on their faces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information