Thread: Cat dilemma at my home...please read and give feedback

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Default Cat dilemma at my home...please read and give feedback

Well, I'll try to just stick with the basic facts:

Two of my four male cats became extremely territorial over me and my space and this resulted in frequent urination inside the home. I believe they both have done it regardless of who started it. We've tried the Feliway spray and keeping some doors shut (I have a big house). There are 4 litter boxes in the house, cleaned daily. All cats are neutered. One of them is 11 yrs old and has been with me (along with another kitty) since less than 8 weeks of age. Both are very healthy. The other has been with us over 7 years. Both are huge orange and yellow tabbies and both are very sweet individually. But both want to be top cat. It used to be that my bathtub got peed in, then it was the floor mats. We had to throw out a rug in the office downstairs because it had been pissed all over. We have found piss on the blinds which we had to bleach. Finally, the last straw was finding puddles of piss on the kitchen counter. There have also been articles of my clothing that have been peed on.

I notice they would fight after I had pet one of them. I've had them checked by the vet and there is no medical basis for this. Sadly, I finally had to agree to place them both outside. My husband was about to explode after years of this building up and getting worse. After a point it just isn't something I can defend. I have 3 acres and no main roads nearby and am in a very animal friendly neighborhood. They did not mind at all during the summer and I couldn't even get them to come in when I tried to let them in for a while just as a treat (hubby wasn't home). Now that it is getting colder their fur has really thickened up. I have a garage that I keep with the door cracked open with fleece beds and a crate with blankets. Outside I have an igloo doghouse under the deck that I am insulating as well. It is in the 70's this week during the day and I'm not worried about that. But this will be their first winter being exclusively outdoor cats and naturally I feel very sad and worried even though I'm creating warmed up spaces the best I can. It is possible that when it gets very cold I can lock them in my room (very big room seperate from hubby's) at night and put them out in the daytime. We have a storage closet on the side of the house which I am considering putting a cat door in and making it into a shelter just for them. Now you see these two cats hanging out all the time and laying ass to ass on the deck.

I would really appreciate any suggestions that can help me make the best arrangements. Thank you!

Edited to add: one of them is in my avatar!
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the storage shed idea, frankly. Cat fur is very warm so it's not like they need a duvet and pillow at night, as long as they have some place they can call home. And, as long as they are not exposed to the outside elements all night, they should be okay.

A*O

There's some kind of complicated jealousy/domination thing going on (you, husband AND cats LOL) and keeping them outside is probably your only realistic solution. If you can make them a Kozy Kitty Kave in that store room that's out of the elements I'm sure they will be fine. There is nothing worse than the smell of cat piss, especially that nasty male spray that they do to mark their territory even if they are neutered.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

we have two outdoor cats. Now that we live in the mountains, and it snows up here, at night (because of the weather, AND the wild animals) we bring them into the garage.

they have become used to the routine, and pretty much right on cue, at 6:15, they come to the door to have us put them in the garage.

we keep a litter box, food, water in there. There are boxes with blankets for them to get warm in. it works like a charm, and i dont worry about them.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I had the very same problem with 2 neutered male cats. Tried everything. Finally caught one peeing on the floor and put him out, & decided to just put them both out. I felt guilty for a long time, but then it was like you said, they wouldn't even come in when I tried to let them. They had lots of room, virtually no traffic, and lots of decks and sheds to duck under. Actually, I don't think I ever stopped feeling guilty, but I felt a great deal more anger at finding cat pee in my house. I could live with the litter box smell, the shedding, the clawing and the hostility to my dogs, but pee on the floor & rugs.... no way.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Gold Member

If you believe there are *any* other roaming cats in the neighborhood, please consider vaccinating them both against FIV (feline form of HIV). It's not foolproof but it's better than taking the risk. Also, heartworm preventative is a great idea, too, if you live in an area with active mosquitoes.

A*O

Yeah, if they are roaming you need to be more vigilant about parasites, ticks and worms, etc. but those liquid treatments you drop onto their skin work really well.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Put the cat door in the storage closet. Then you will all sleep better! I think you have done the best you can until one of them goes to the Great Catnip. Then,get a female!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I agree with McJag. And who knows, after a while of this, maybe they'll become good friends and can come back indoors!
    We have the same problem with two of our males, but we live close to a major road, so there is no way we can let them out.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy Burnett View Post
    If you believe there are *any* other roaming cats in the neighborhood, please consider vaccinating them both against FIV (feline form of HIV). It's not foolproof but it's better than taking the risk. Also, heartworm preventative is a great idea, too, if you live in an area with active mosquitoes.

My vet has suggested no more feline luk vaccine due to their advanced age...she says it's a bigger risk to younger cats (FIV). Also, there are no other cats in our area, just tons of dogs. My husky/chow is outside all the time (he loves the cold nights) now and I don't worry about any other animals getting to the cats. All my critters get their annual checkups and preventatives except for my snake who never needs anything, God bless his soul. Everyone is due for their annuals and shots within the same two month period, Sept and October...expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Put the cat door in the storage closet. Then you will all sleep better! I think you have done the best you can until one of them goes to the Great Catnip. Then,get a female!

I talked to my husband and we agreed we will clean out the garage (due for a thorough cleaning) and will put a cat door in the side door while leaving the main garage door down tight instead of cracked open like it is now. Outside under the deck they've got a big igloo I am insulating and will be putting carpet and straw in.

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    I agree with McJag. And who knows, after a while of this, maybe they'll become good friends and can come back indoors!
    Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    We have the same problem with two of our males, but we live close to a major road, so there is no way we can let them out.

LOL, I snuck them in for a night this past weekend while hubby was gone and woke up to find my socks that I took off in my bathroom covered in piss. Also, a can of treats had been opened up and all I found was the top lying on the floor....still haven't found the damn can they came in. So, they were back to their old tricks in no time, including picking a fight with another of the cats.

Thanks everybody, you were very helpful!!!!!!
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information