Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rottweiler is piglet's surrogate

Default Rottweiler is piglet's surrogate

A baby pig abandoned by her mother has found a new home after being adopted... by a Rottweiler.
    The little piggy called Apple Sauce faced starving when she was rejected by her mum as the runt of a litter of 13.
    But animal lover Heidi Rhiann hoped her pet Rottweiler Sasha might help after having eight puppies of her own.
    Enlarge
    Ham-azing friendship: Apple Sauce the piglet sleeps with a litter of Rottweiler pups after she was abandoned by her mother at birth

The family were delighted when the piglet was accepted by Sasha - and became piggy in the middle of the Rottweiler pups.
    Heidi said yesterday: 'It was a fantastic sight to see this little piglet snuggling up to a big Rottweiler and all her pups.
    'It is lovely that Sasha's maternal instincts have taken over to save Apple Sauce.'

Best friends: Animal lover Heidi Rhiann cuddles Apple Sauce the piglet, which has been adopted by her Rottweiler

The Belgian Blue piglet was yesterday happily snuggling down with her adopted Rottweiler family at the family home in Llanfyllin, Powys.
    Heidi, 38, who breeds pigs on her small-holding in the Welsh countryside, feared the worst for the piglet when she was shunned.
    She said: "It was the last chance for the piglet. I wrapped Apple Sauce in a blanket the puppies had been on to try and transfer the scent and left her next to Sasha.
    'About an hour later I went to see how they were getting along and Apple Sauce was suckling.'
    It was the first litter for 18-month-old Sasha who weighs in at 45 kilos - with three-week-old Apple Sauce settling down next to the two-week old litter.
    Heidi said: 'Apple Sauce was skin and bone when I handed her over to Sasha and now she's gaining weight and starting to fatten up.
    'Apple Sauce has a poorly trotter at the moment and Sasha knows this and is trying to lick it better. She instinctively knows Apple Sauce isn't in perfect health.
    'We feed Apple Sauce with some supplementary feed and Sasha gives a concerned whine when we pick her up, as much as to say: "What are you doing with my puppy?".'
    'Sasha has probably helped save the piglet?s life because she has gladly accepted it as one of her own - it just goes to show that anything is possible.
    'So far Sasha is the best mother you can imagine. She immediately fell in love with the piggy.

Enlarge
    This little piggy stays at home: Apple Sauce will not be going to the market after finding a new home with a Rottweiler and seven pups

'The puppies and Apple Sauce seem to get on very well too - it's lovely to see because the puppies are all pure bred black coloured rottweilers and the piglet is pink and blue.
    'It'll be interesting to see how things progress but whatever happens Apple Sauce will be kept as a pet. This is one little piggy which won't be going to market.'
    Meanwhile, it has emerged that heiress Paris Hilton has adopted a piglet - and posted pictures of the animal on her website.

Pig purchase: Heiress Paris Hilton has adopted a piglet, which she had named Piglette, and posted pictures of the animal on her website. But her £3,000 buy has been criticised by animal rights activists

But the socialite's piggy purchase has put her in line for criticism from animal rights activists.
    Last week, Paris tweeted about buying a five-week-old miniature pig for $4,500 dollars (£3,000).
    She told followers on her Twitter account: 'So excited for my new piglette to come home to me.'
    But campaign group Peta has attacked the move, accusing Paris of 'wretched' behaviour, in a statement given to show business website TMZ.
    It is the latest in the hotel heiress's growing menagerie.
    Responding to the purchase, Peta said in the statement to TMZ said that it was a 'wretched example' of treating animals like they were 'as disposable as her friends and fiances'.
    It added: 'The Chihuahuas, ferrets and Kinkajous she's paraded through her home in the past were not accessories, and pot-bellied pigs aren't either.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1220422/Ruff-love-How-Rottweiler-saved-runt-piglets-bacon.html#ixzz0Txy6SIMQ

Adorable
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I want a pig. Now.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

awwwwwwwwww how cute!!
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Sweetie-pies.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I just love piglets!
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

So freaking cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

fgg

so sweet!

I love stories like these.

This is so great because at this age, neither the piglet nor the puppies know that there's an oddball in the mix. Nobody's a stranger. Now, when the piglet tries to jump up on someone's lap to get petted, like the rest of the gang, it might have a little more thinking to do. Cute.

Awwwwww

Sooooo cute!!! And what a lovely dog!!!

This is too cute for words.

Oh my lawd! I want that piglet! Apple Sauce, what a cute name.

Sad end to dog's piglet adoption

Apple Sauce the piglet formed a bond with its surrogate mum, Sasha

A piglet who was adopted by a Rottweiler after she was abandoned by her mother has died. When Belgian Blue Apple Sauce was rejected, owner Heidi Rhiann, of Pont Llogel, near Llanfyllin, gave her to dog Sasha, who had just had puppies.
    The piglet, the runt of a litter of 13, was in danger of dying when her mother rejected her.
    She soon formed an unlikely bond with Rottweiler Sasha, but had health problems and died on Saturday.
    Ms Rhiann had intended to keep Apple Sauce as a family pet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information